White SH-101?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:33 am

needs a damn firing squad in front of him
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

devious

Post by devious » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:20 am

Here's a fun video =] with a nicely customized SH-101

There's a lot of different white versions around.

Aaron

crow

Post by crow » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:23 am

tallowwaters wrote:needs a damn firing squad in front of him
Counting to 14?? They'd miss! :shock: Asleep!!
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:58 pm

Marcus Brown has an all white Roland rig.
Done by roland and this guy http://www.forat.com/service/

devious

Post by devious » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:47 pm

hollandturbine wrote:Marcus Brown has an all white Roland rig.
Right, but he doesn't have a white sh-101, only a white sh-201.

-d

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:14 pm

crow wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:needs a damn firing squad in front of him
Counting to 14?? They'd miss! :shock: Asleep!!
:lol:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

hollandturbine

Post by hollandturbine » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:18 am

I think this will become like the black credit card, first a myth then a reality and I am sure that the wanting of a white SH-101 will cause a few SH-101s to pop up from time to time with a new paint job.

What makes the white SH-101 believable is that Roland made them in different colors, my guess would be that the strap'n'strut like a guitarist is the reason behind the different colors, Roland might have toyed with the idea of a white SH-101, and actualy done a small run.

I think the Roland CMU810 expander was White and produced around the same time and even sound like a SH-101.

devious

Post by devious » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:38 am

hollandturbine wrote:I think this will become like the black credit card, first a myth then a reality and I am sure that the wanting of a white SH-101 will cause a few SH-101s to pop up from time to time with a new paint job.

What makes the white SH-101 believable is that Roland made them in different colors, my guess would be that the strap'n'strut like a guitarist is the reason behind the different colors, Roland might have toyed with the idea of a white SH-101, and actualy done a small run.

I think the Roland CMU810 expander was White and produced around the same time and even sound like a SH-101.
Rumor also has it there's a green one. Where does this rumor originate? There was a small shop in Japan shortly after Roland released it that had their hands on the overlays and they would do up custom jobs for people and re-lay the overlays [ha ha ha, weird] onto the board. They're merely painted, yeah, but the professional looking ones are professionally done [without the hand writing, unlike that mc202 photos matrix posted over there on his blog, yuck].

Oh, I cannot forget the infamous yellow one too that exists but does not have any overlay on it. I'll grab a photo of that - it looks cool, but too...tacky-ish bright :) like the sun.

Enjoy!

-d

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/71776 ... 1b.jpg?v=0

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:00 am

Man, he also has two wasps linked up... :(
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:26 am

hollandturbine wrote:Marcus Brown has an all white Roland rig.
Every time I see those pictures they get even more hideous. Especially those real ugly airbrushed outer space looking ones. Almost a competition against the "Acid" paint jobs circuit benders do.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:27 am

I saw a "green" sh-101 in person once. To me it looked like a discolored gray one. The owner swore it was green though. It definately wasn't the same color as the usual gray. It didn't look green to me though. just a nasty darkish color. I imagine looking at the color of the inside would have settled it. It should have been less discolored and show a true green or gray. Didn't think of that at the time though because I didn't care much about it anyway....

devious

Post by devious » Sun Nov 25, 2007 3:46 am

Cybananna wrote:I saw a "green" sh-101 in person once. To me it looked like a discolored gray one. The owner swore it was green though. It definately wasn't the same color as the usual gray. It didn't look green to me though. just a nasty darkish color. I imagine looking at the color of the inside would have settled it. It should have been less discolored and show a true green or gray. Didn't think of that at the time though because I didn't care much about it anyway....
You are absolutely right about the green ones that can be seen through discoloration of the 101, yes. They become an offish green through time and not bein' taken care of it seems. If you have a grey one and I am thinking you live in a humid climate and don't take care of that humidity ;) around it, it's going to turn a greenish/uglyish color, hehe.

There was one recently on ebay going through this transformation in some spots of it.

-d

i_watch_stars

Post by i_watch_stars » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:33 am

But the real question is...

...does something crazy happen once you get all of the colors of SH-101's together?
JP-8080, Virus B, TG-77, JD-990, D-550, XV-5080, CS1x, Matrix 1000, SE-1, SuperNova II Pro Rack, MKS-50, EMX-1, TX-802, Nord Rack 2X, Korg RADIAS

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:36 am

I want a tangerine one.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:56 am

I heard Aphex Twin bought all the white ones a long time ago