Good Presets?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
energetik

Post by energetik » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:20 am

People make too much of presets. They're there to show you what a synth can do. If you find a use for them then fine. There's no point in getting all elitist and saying that all presets suck because they're presets. Just shut up and play.
Modulate er... MODERATE THIS!

gallant steve

Post by gallant steve » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:32 pm

bit of an optional bonus are top quality presets, but the presets on the MEK are the best I've ever heard on that sort of machine.

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:26 pm

energetik wrote:People make too much of presets. They're there to show you what a synth can do. If you find a use for them then fine. There's no point in getting all elitist and saying that all presets suck because they're presets. Just shut up and play.
I agree with this. Thanks energetik.....I think it's more the player/composer than the settings they use.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm

+1 for the JX8P soundtrack. Pity I don't own it anymore.
"Non Trance" patches for the Access Virus by Rob Papen
Many of the Roland XP "Vintage Synth" and "World" board presets
Alpha Juno Synth Bass and some of the Organs are great
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:20 pm

I can hardly wait to hear the presets on IBB (Itty Bitty Blofeld). other than the Evolver's release (and maybe P08), I cant think of any hardware synth in recent memory that's generated so much interest.

And i think that any presets created by Rob Papen, Emu or otherwise, are at the top of the sound-design curve. :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:48 am

Another vote here for the JX-8P's Soundtrack patch. I'm also a fan of the Sync Lead patch, particularly in unison mode.

And I've been playing my D-10 more lately, and I have to say that the Elec Organ 1 patch is a not bad combo-organ. Not quite a Farfisa [it would need more bite -- too flutey], but better than most.

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:10 am

energetik wrote:Just shut up and play.
Agreed! For example, the electric pianos of S90ES are just fine and ready to be used. Touch of EQ and maybe some more chorus if you want.

One trick -- well, basic programming technique really -- that I've found very useful with romplers is to layer two sounds, from different romplers even. Eg a mellow pad, high-end EQd down, combined with a brighter attacky patch. When these properly gel together -- some experimentation needed here -- the combi can sound pretty cool. If you've got two romplers with, say, 256 presets both, theres over 60 000 combis to try out. That'll keep you busy for a while! :D