Keytars: Why the insane prices?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:45 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote: My question is: Who is buying these things? Even in the 80s it seemed like "keytars"... were the province of people PRETENDING to be new wave bands instead of actual bands using them.
They're now the province of people who are in the kind of band that the people who originally bought keytars in the 80s were pretending to be in and which didn't exist until the 80s revival.
Ha ha ha, that's perfect!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:50 am

sdconvoy wrote:interested in selling any of those any time soon CZ Rider? :wink:
Actually, with the crazy prices on Ebay, I was thinking of letting the Roland AX-1 go. Never really liked that one. I have a nice "Le Key" made by Lag Industries, serial #004. Finished like a Fender with a maple neck and sunburst finish. Even has the same type metal knurled knobs like a P-bass. Has to be one of the nicesest production remotes made. Wonder what that is worth?

When I think of these remote keyboards, I think 70's. Can remember seeing Edgar Winter running around the stage with an Arp 2600 controller playing Frankenstien. Or Gary Wright doing Dream Weaver with Minimoog remotes. Can't forget the whole Fusion sceen from the mid 70's. George Duke comes to mind with his "Clavitar" and Jan Hammer with a few custom ones too. These guys were the pioneers, and if you had a remote it was usually custom. Moog even offered a Minimoog with a split ketboard before introducing the Liberation. All way before MIDI and the 80's!

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:57 am

UTEPguy wrote:If I needed a keytar I would just glue a stick to my xp-10 :D

THIS IS AWESOME!!!! I would make it a broom stick and tie a red bandana on it.

I'm with you on the trendy bands though...I think just the fact they are rare-ish, shouldn't be pushing the price up. I thought they were goofy even back in the 80's.....

But I'd play that xp 10 with a broom handle sticking out of one side...Nah, f**k that make it a whole broom and impale that b***h, so you can sweep the stage while the Lead 'Tarist is smokin out some riffs....Then you could go do that tounge between the fingers thing to hot chicks in the front row...Or dudes if you swing that way, I don't care...Yeah I'm gonna find a synth to do that to.

...VERY EXCITED!!!!

S.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 am

CZ Rider wrote:Can remember seeing Edgar Winter running around the stage with an Arp 2600 controller playing Frankenstien.
My point exactly:

Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:17 am

Is this someone on here?

Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:35 am

CZ Rider wrote:
sdconvoy wrote:interested in selling any of those any time soon CZ Rider? :wink:
Actually, with the crazy prices on Ebay, I was thinking of letting the Roland AX-1 go. Never really liked that one. I have a nice "Le Key" made by Lag Industries, serial #004. Finished like a Fender with a maple neck and sunburst finish. Even has the same type metal knurled knobs like a P-bass. Has to be one of the nicesest production remotes made. Wonder what that is worth?
That is beautiful! If I had a AX I'd sell it and make a nice profit. Roland has to make another AX sometime, because there's a nice market for these things. Suprised Korg hasn't made a new one.

And if you ever want to sell that one in the pic, please e-mail me :D

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:40 pm

CZ Rider wrote: Image
I have to say that's probably the nicest looking keytar I've ever seen. It has a beautiful wood. Hmm.. eBay...
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:36 pm

Box wrote:
CZ Rider wrote: Image
I have to say that's probably the nicest looking keytar I've ever seen. It has a beautiful wood. Hmm.. eBay...
I really have never seen a keytar I would actually play until this one. Absolutely beautiful.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

gs

Post by gs » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:58 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:$80 keytar that runs on batteries, has midi AND usb, and isn't way too long.
[picture of Oxygen 8 with side-pegs modification]
The point of keytar design is that you have controls like pitch bend, moduation, and various controller buttons on the 'handle' end of the device, making it more like playing a guitar. If you gotta reach down with the non-playing hand to the area above the keyboard, it ain't like playing a real keytar.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:34 pm

very true gs. i sold my shs 10 this summer, for like 250 or 300...i cant recall, either way, much more than i paid (50 in a pawn shop on a school trip to niagra falls) 14 years or so ago.

i still play the cs01 strapped on, and thankfully it has the pitch and mod wheel set in the correct keytar spot, but, still...no neck, so its hardly a keytar really.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

UTEPguy

Post by UTEPguy » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:
Seriously. How many octaves are you going to cover with one hand.
Wait until my design takes over the keytar market!

Synth arsenal: Fusion 6HD, JX-8P + pg-800, XP-10, and MS-2000.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:50 pm

my buddys keytar, yamaha shs 10 was just pictured in the M.I.A. article of rolling stone. a few days later, he sold it for 240. he then got an offer of 300 for it.
these things are hot for some reason.
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

Post by smallsynth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 pm

gs wrote:
Tyler2000 wrote:$80 keytar that runs on batteries, has midi AND usb, and isn't way too long.
[picture of Oxygen 8 with side-pegs modification]
The point of keytar design is that you have controls like pitch bend, moduation, and various controller buttons on the 'handle' end of the device, making it more like playing a guitar. If you gotta reach down with the non-playing hand to the area above the keyboard, it ain't like playing a real keytar.

while that might be true, the real point of the keytar is to look like a badass on stage. and yes, that wood one looks very nice. but for 80s synth music, you need an angular one. like the axis or the sh101, or, the keytar du jour, the shs10. for glam rock or hair metal, however, you can go with an ax1 or 7, the rk100, or the starburst beauty pictured above.

-geoffrey smallsynth

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:25 pm

I can think of one reason why Red AX-1's have always been popular behind closed doors! :roll:

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:02 pm

UTEPguy wrote:
Tyler2000 wrote:
Seriously. How many octaves are you going to cover with one hand.
Wait until my design takes over the keytar market!

Beem done:
so what do I put down here now?