Keytars: Why the insane prices?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm

minime123 wrote:a while ago i got an email from someone who wanted our custom painted rk100 keytar, which had quite a lovely painting on it. :) he said he had a few already and didnt want to pay much for them, then he sent a link to a video of his band..... where he smashed a keytar.... intentionally. needless to say, i refused to sell to him simply because we dont sell gear for people to smash. someone else actually emailed me about buying a tr808 to turn into a piece of art, so i again refused. so anyway, last night, i caught jimmy kimmel just when mutemath was on and noticed them smashing an rk100 and thought "hmmm, is this the guy who wanted to smash ours?!". could have been, but i couldnt find his email. it seems lately a lot of people have been asking me about keytars. maybe most of them want to smash them? a new trend, perhaps, by mediocre guitarists frustrated that keyboards are now coming closer than ever to replacing them. ;)
"didn't wanna pay too much" Sounds like El Douche needs to pay a lot more. I don't care what kind of vintage equipment there is out there...you dont be a dweeb and smash it.

It really chaps my a*s to see people smash anything of musical value. I've learned in my life of half assed equipment that you can make just as much music with nothing more than toys as you can with the most expencive of gear...as long as your dumb a*s dosen't SMASH IT!

That's the difference between Musicians and guys out there just to get p***y, or money. I hate attitude but I love music. If you wanna make a statement and smash something why dont you be a man and destroy somthing worth destroying...... how about....um, your own face.
Yeah smash your own face into an amp. I would watch and have a lot more respect for that s**t.

Sorry I'm a spaz. I grew up poor and don't understand these suburbanite pseudo punk rockers angst...I had real angst....Let that douche nozzle wake up with roaches in his mouth once. That little b***h.

YOu made the right decision mini. Post the link of the vid if you can. I'd love to see this piece of garbage..

again I'm sorry. My blood boils for one thing, and that's lack of respect and gratitude for the things you have. My little brother won best in Memphis for Guitar in 1997 I think, and he was playing a Lyon strat copy going thru a POS peavey practice amp. and guess what, HE STILL HAS THEM AND PLAYS THEM! Even though he has custom Gibson and fenders adding up to thousands of dollars. It's not the equipment it's what you can do with the equipment you have.

Again, sorry....

S.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:10 pm

sonny1 wrote:
minime123 wrote:a while ago i got an email from someone who wanted our custom painted rk100 keytar, which had quite a lovely painting on it. :) he said he had a few already and didnt want to pay much for them, then he sent a link to a video of his band..... where he smashed a keytar.... intentionally. needless to say, i refused to sell to him simply because we dont sell gear for people to smash. someone else actually emailed me about buying a tr808 to turn into a piece of art, so i again refused. so anyway, last night, i caught jimmy kimmel just when mutemath was on and noticed them smashing an rk100 and thought "hmmm, is this the guy who wanted to smash ours?!". could have been, but i couldnt find his email. it seems lately a lot of people have been asking me about keytars. maybe most of them want to smash them? a new trend, perhaps, by mediocre guitarists frustrated that keyboards are now coming closer than ever to replacing them. ;)
"didn't wanna pay too much" Sounds like El Douche needs to pay a lot more. I don't care what kind of vintage equipment there is out there...you dont be a dweeb and smash it.

It really chaps my a*s to see people smash anything of musical value. I've learned in my life of half assed equipment that you can make just as much music with nothing more than toys as you can with the most expencive of gear...as long as your dumb a*s dosen't SMASH IT!

That's the difference between Musicians and guys out there just to get p***y, or money. I hate attitude but I love music. If you wanna make a statement and smash something why dont you be a man and destroy somthing worth destroying...... how about....um, your own face.
Yeah smash your own face into an amp. I would watch and have a lot more respect for that s**t.

Sorry I'm a spaz. I grew up poor and don't understand these suburbanite pseudo punk rockers angst...I had real angst....Let that douche nozzle wake up with roaches in his mouth once. That little b***h.

YOu made the right decision mini. Post the link of the vid if you can. I'd love to see this piece of garbage..

again I'm sorry. My blood boils for one thing, and that's lack of respect and gratitude for the things you have. My little brother won best in Memphis for Guitar in 1997 I think, and he was playing a Lyon strat copy going thru a POS peavey practice amp. and guess what, HE STILL HAS THEM AND PLAYS THEM! Even though he has custom Gibson and fenders adding up to thousands of dollars. It's not the equipment it's what you can do with the equipment you have.

Again, sorry....

S.
Hey man don't sweat it. I know exactly where you're coming from. I had posted something about this not too long ago about people doing this. I'm poor myself, just my step-dad working making less than $50,000 trying to support four kids and a wife. Everything not essential to life I buy: synths, car, etc... but I'm fortunate that he can afford food and a roof over our head. It just sickens me when people with more money than brains go off and smash something I could use and would be forever grateful to own. Idk I think in the long run being in my current position will make me a better person though; make me appreciative of what I do own. I'm just glad some people have money falling out of their asses...
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:27 pm

i agree wholeheartedly why the h**l would you smash a musical instrument when there are so many people who would give away their right leg to have it?
if you want to get rid of the instrument, why not give it away to someone who wants it? dont freaking smash it to pieces!!! i'll bet the dickheads smashing guitars through their amps dont know how many hours of work it took to make that guitar, or get the wiring laid in those amps :evil: maybe those idiots should try their hand at MAKING instruments before they try BREAKING instruments!
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.

Post by sonny1 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:48 pm

sheepmusic wrote:i agree wholeheartedly why the h**l would you smash a musical instrument when there are so many people who would give away their right leg to have it?
I'm with you on that. I've got money now that I pulled my s**t together. I don't ever take it for granted and I have given hundreds of dollars of stuff away to musicians that need it. h**l I'm backing an album of a poor friend of mine now. and donating all the amps and equipment needed to make a great jangle pop albumn...as a matter of fact I'll put alink here for you to decide on your own....but anyway. I've never liked the keytar thing, but i'll not ever smash one...I don't like solidstate amps either but again, i'll not ever smash one.

I just gave away an x5 to another poor musician and hvae sent 10 horns to New Orleans.

By the way I have the manual to the X5 still here, if someone needs it just give me an address and I'll send it to you free.

anyway I don't mean to hijack the thread, that s**t just pisses me off.

here's Mikes website...NEW ALBUM COMING SOON!!!! (he's a super-d duper nice guy, you guys should get to know him.)
http://www.myspace.com/mikedees23
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:17 am

Don't think of it as hi-jacking but merely as thread "sharing". :P I think it's pretty cool what you're doing sonny1. Your friend Mike looks to have some preety sweet music, if I see it in stores soon I'll have to pick up a copy. I'm not but a 6 hour road trip away from Memphis; we're not all too far apart.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:57 am

hey box, hijack your own thread, i already hijacked this one! ;)
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:34 am

6 hours a way? where are you , box?

Back on topic....Was there any keytars that were stand alone synths, or romplers? or were they all pretty much just midi controlers?

This may have been answered previously.....

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:16 am

The moog liberation was a stand alone synth, also the korg 707, syntar, yamaha dx100, casio cz101, roland sh101, junost 21, yamaha shs10, yamaha shs200, korg poly 800, and i think im missing one or two...
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:47 pm

sonny1 wrote:6 hours a way? where are you , box?

I'm just north of Birmingham, AL.

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:29 pm

Cool my band likes to play The Nick. I'll IM you next time we're out there and we'll get a beer. We also play the 10 high club in ATL...but we've not been there for ages. And the Nick is a lot harder to get into now they are using that booking agency.

I wanna open a bar Here in Mmephis for live acts, but I'm not sure when or where. The politics in this town just stink like cat s**t.

That's right the Poly 800 was the first keytar, right? it had dual pourpose you could use it on a stand or put the little handle on the end and a strap. I had one of those.....I remember not being too impressed with it as a synth. It had some cool things about it but the other synths I had at the time far eceeded the control of the Poly 800. I'm still a Korg fan, though.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:34 pm

sonny1 wrote:a stand or put the little handle on the end and a strap.
That's the Roland SH-101 you're thinking of. :)
sonny1 wrote:Cool my band likes to play The Nick. I'll IM you next time we're out there and we'll get a beer.
Not so much on the last part, I just now turned 16... lol. :P

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:53 pm

Dig, Well I never let 16 stop me for a beer... Well I kinda did, I was a pretty good kid.

Well anyway our shows are usually billed with other local bands and are all ages. I'll still IM you when we play...You can listen to music at 16....right? or I gotta better Idea, just go here if you dig us, Down load the music if you don't than don't....(PS I write 98% of my bands music...The drummer Writes the lyrics.) I hope you dig.

www.myspace.com/presstwoforpanic

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:02 pm

Have some pretty sweet stuff. So which one are you in the photo? I'm taking a guess you're the one with the long hair and aviators on. :P

sonny1

Post by sonny1 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Box wrote:Have some pretty sweet stuff. So which one are you in the photo? I'm taking a guess you're the one with the long hair and aviators on. :P
nah, man...I'm the all business guy in the white shirt and tie..The aviator cool guy is my Guitarist/Brother in law Ed. Barry is the guy with no hair and Jeff is the bay city roller looking guy in the burgandy shirt and black jacket.

Happy you like it. We recorded most of these tracks at Ardent studios here in memphis we will be recording the whole album soon...but I won't hit you up to buy it, we've decided to just give the s**t away. So check our myspace in a month or two for updates, and if you become our friend then we'll update you via the bulletin board.

S

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:59 pm

Ahh, ok. Wait a min, you the keyboardist... where's your crazy hair? Wait... that was New Wave.. :P Alright, I'll have to check regurally then. So you won't be releasing an album to sell in stores, just have it listed on Myspace?