Shipping cost for Emax kbd ?? A rip-off??

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Escobar

Shipping cost for Emax kbd ?? A rip-off??

Post by Escobar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:16 pm

-Hi everybody!

- Hi Dr. Nick!!!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but since it's about buying and my question is related to that -sort of, I think- I would like to have comments on something I recently bought on eBay *sigh* I know, I know...
Well it's like this: I won an auction on eBay, an Emax sampler (keyboard version). I won it cheap, really cheap. The dude invoiced me with a shipping cost of US$300.00 + 'cost of item', now I wouldn't raise any eyebrow over that since I know it would cost something like that. The problem is that now after I payed him the money through PayPal he claims that he calculated wrong and says that the package weights 60pounds and he need more money. He says: "...don't know the actual cost but I'm pretty sure it cost more than US$300...".
Now to the funny part: A month ago I bought another Emax keyboard that I won on eBay from a US seller. That seller shipped the keyboard with USPS carrier and that Emax keyboard cost me US$199.99 in shipping fee... so you start to see the picture... I also checked with USPS international calculator what it would cost to send it as it weight 60lbs. and it says: US$253.75 with Express Mail International as the most expensive choice and US$217.50 as Priority Mail International the cheapest. He does not specify carrier at all but gave me his zip code to check it out my self.
Both sellers that I bought these samplers from are from different states: the $300 dollar-dude from sunny state Florida and the other one from state Michigan (Pontiac). I haven't answered him yet and I really would like to hear from you guys first.

Thanks
Last edited by Escobar on Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:45 pm

it depends where in Flordia he is located...If he is southern flordia I can believe that. Price are also impacted by being shipping from rural town or major city.

USPS prices are steadily going up with the the price of gas, more shipping to Europe, just plain hoilday hike up. It cost USPS more money as well becuase of the weaken dollar.

Those conversion rates that are online are always flipping off.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:56 pm

ask he is going to refund what he doesnt use.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:12 pm

I'd ask for a full refund and try to get one locally.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by wiss » Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:15 pm

oh, wait wait wait, you alreday gave him $300??? yeah.....that is bullshit. Pay for his relisting fees and get your money back.

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:18 pm

it depends where in Flordia he is located...If he is southern flordia I can believe that. Price are also impacted by being shipping from rural town or major city.

USPS prices are steadily going up with the the price of gas, more shipping to Europe, just plain hoilday hike up. It cost USPS more money as well becuase of the weaken dollar.
I agree with you, I do understand that the carrier companies have their costs no question about that. But I haven't told you everything:

Four month ago I bought an Emulator II+ HD from the States and THAT's a TANK! belive me! It weighted 55lbs totally when it was shipped here and I payed alot for it, but an Emax? Come on! No way it will weight 60lbs and when I calculated the shipping cost for it I did it with 60lbs in mind, and still I got a cheaper shipping price! (see above). Besides, I alredy bought an Emax keyboard from US with a shipping cost of $199.99 less than a month ago so...

ask he is going to refund what he doesnt use.
I don't think he will do that...
I won it fare and square for US$51.00... No wonder he's disappointed... And that's not all! He started the bid with $0.99! I wonder how he would have felt if someone won the auction for that price? :pale: ](*,)

Why put a price on something that you're not prepared to accept to be paid? Be honest to your self and to others and sell it for a price you can live with. If you want $200 then sell it for $200 and not for a ridiculous $0.99!

I guess I'm going to ask him to cancel the bid because none of us will be happy about it.
Roland MKS-70 | Roland SuperJX | Roland S-770 | Roland S-50 | Roland MC-500 | Roland TR-505 | Emulator III rack | Emulator II+HD | Emax HD rack | Emax Kb | Prophet 2002 | Yamaha TQ-5

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:34 pm

In addition to weight, the dimensions of the package will significantly effect shipping. Something being an inch too long or wide can drive it up into a higher price bracket, especially with international shipping. It may be that he packed it in a larger-than-necessary box.

But quoting a shipping cost and changing it after the fact is just shady. If the seller can't measure and weigh a box properly before giving you a $ figure, it's his responsibility to eat the cost of any discrepancies.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:04 pm

if this was via paypal file a claim immediately, this is completely against auction rules to jack up the price after the bidding has ended. If he quoted shipping wrong, he eats it. It is his responsibilty

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:20 pm

i can't say that i know for sure but i don't think sending a large package from a U.S. post office in the Florida Everglades is going to be different than a post office in Los Angeles or New York City. aren't prices standardizd across the country for U.S. Postal Service?

if the seller is shipping FedEx or Airborne Express then it will be significantly more expensive to ship than U.S.P.S.

and if they are picking up from the seller's remote shack in the Florida Everglades, then FedEx and Airborne Express will charge a premium over a package brought into their counter by LAX or JFK.

if you won the auction for a steal at only $51, then consider you may still be getting a bargain for an Emax shipped all the way to Sweden overnight by FedEx. just ask how he is going to ship and doing his calculation...

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:40 pm

I had an emax. While not extraordinarily heavy, it does take up an enormous amount of space.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:58 pm

Entropy Farmer wrote:I had an emax. While not extraordinarily heavy, it does take up an enormous amount of space.
This is important. USPS has changed there max package size for standard pricing. I would ask Minime123 how they ship international, he does it all the time.

Escobar

Post by Escobar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:06 pm

In addition to weight, the dimensions of the package will significantly effect shipping. Something being an inch too long or wide can drive it up into a higher price bracket, especially with international shipping. It may be that he packed it in a larger-than-necessary box.
I had an emax. While not extraordinarily heavy, it does take up an enormous amount of space.
if t[quotehe seller is shipping FedEx or Airborne Express then it will be significantly more expensive to ship than U.S.P.S.
I agree with you guys, my EII+ cost about US$478 shipping if I remember correctly. It was delivered by FedEx right to my front door, I only had to sign the bill, and it was HUGE but well packed!
i can't say that i know for sure but i don't think sending a large package from a U.S. post office in the Florida Everglades is going to be different than a post office in Los Angeles or New York City. aren't prices standardizd across the country for U.S. Postal Service?
That should be the case if I have read it right. Website: http://www.usps.com
They have a very good shipping calculator you can check it out, but obviously those prices does not apply to other carriers.
What really made me disappointed was that he never told me how much more he wanted and that he didn't specified carrier to send it with. I don't like to do business where I don't know the final cost.
He "sounded" (not sure if something written can 'sound' ehmm... :-k ) very reluctant when he informed me about it.
Anyway, I gave him the chance to cancel the auction and he accepted it. I felt uncomfortably with it all and I think he felt relifed when we cancled the deal.
The moral of the story? Not sure if there's any but I guess a bargain does not always look like a bargain even if it's only for $51 bucks...