Count the CS-80s on TOTP for one song of 1:53 length

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:25 pm

ive seen more. the guy who restores the cs80's for RL music is in the middle of 10 or 15 cs80's at the moment, he sent a pic to the members of a group. its something else....awesome guy, knows the machine inside and out.

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:34 pm

Still a completely s**t song anyways. Could have used Casios for all I care. Awful music.
Yeah right. It's a killer song. This song & the Metamatic Album was one of the reasons I got into synths in the first place (alongside Kraftwerk, TD, Schulze etc).

When I heard this song for the first time, I nearly shat myself, the synths are some of the scariest sounding you'll ever find.

You might not like it, but to dismiss it as s**t and awful music is rather childish & narrow minded.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:43 pm

Actually, those CS-80s are for pose value only. That album was done almost entirely with the ARP Oddysey.

OK, so the song is a bit dated, but it's got balls. Strong intent. Although it sounds like he's singing "Underpants" :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 pm

That's uncalled for. If the thread topic had said "JOHN FOXX VIDEO" I might have passed it unnoticed. But the topic says "How many CS-80's can you count in this video?".

I have every right to say that song sucks if I want to, that's what an open forum is about. Opinions.
And come on, he hardly sings on pitch the entire song :) At least the performance wasn't all that hot. And if indeed the song was made with Odysseys, and the CS-80s are just there for "face value"..well.

I have no problems with people that like it, so don't worry. That's just my own opinion. We're all adults here, no point saying "get the f**k outta here because you don't have the same opinion as me", right? No need to get all nasty and protective about it.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:05 pm

Bitexion wrote:I have every right to say that song sucks if I want to, that's what an open forum is about. Opinions.
And come on, he hardly sings on pitch the entire song :) At least the performance wasn't all that hot. And if indeed the song was made with Odysseys, and the CS-80s are just there for "face value"..well.
I gotta go with Bitexion on this.
In 1980, I would have thought this the end-all-be-all of music. Everything electronic and robotic at that time I thought flawless and divine... and I wanted SOOOO desperately to sound just like this guy. (although I had never heard of him until just now, strangely enough)
If I can step out of my childhood new wave fascination and look at this song from a technical and musical standpoint, it's not very much. I like it, but there is a huge difference between liking something and that something BEING something, if you can catch my drift.
And, Bitexion is right... wow, is that guy out of tune... and not because the part is difficult, either... it just sounds like studio laziness.
Unlike Bitexion, I don't hate it... I like it in a "awww, I remember when we all thought that was so cool" sort of way... but compared to similar songs of the same era, it's pretty standard fare.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:48 pm

Psy_Free wrote:You might not like it, but to dismiss it as s**t and awful music is rather childish & narrow minded.
Bitexion, I think this is a fair point. You seem to have misunderstood- he's not saying "it's not OK to dislike it". He's saying it's childish to just say "it's awful" and not add anything constructive.

I think it would be much better to say why you think it's awful, as Automatic Gainsay did quite eloquently above- and he makes a very good point in the process.

This forum would turn to rubbish fast if everyone expressed their opinion as "that's c**p" and left it at that. But I totally understand your passionate reaction to the music :)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:52 pm

Yeah point taken, I should have elaborated a bit more than just say "it sucks". It's All good 8)

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:05 pm

Bitexion, I think this is a fair point. You seem to have misunderstood- he's not saying "it's not OK to dislike it". He's saying it's childish to just say "it's awful" and not add anything constructive.
Exactly. For example, I don't like Duran Duran. Now, I wouldn't say they are s**t, even though that would be a kind of opinion, I just don't like them because they don't do anything for me songwise/soundwise etc.

Clearly, they can't be that s**t because they had and have a huge following, but for me to simply dismiss them as s**t would be rather silly and a somewhat pointless opinion (in my opinion :wink: )

Anyway, that's enough of that. It's still cool to see so many CS80s in one place at one time.
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Yeah point taken, I should have elaborated a bit more than just say "it sucks". It's All good
Peace 8)
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

crow

Post by crow » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:06 am

Psy_Free wrote:
Yeah point taken, I should have elaborated a bit more than just say "it sucks". It's All good
Peace 8)
Hippy. 8)
...and ah just thought, cuntin well hit it!
GOAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:49 am

rjd2 wrote:ive seen more. the guy who restores the cs80's for RL music is in the middle of 10 or 15 cs80's at the moment, he sent a pic to the members of a group. its something else....awesome guy, knows the machine inside and out.
pardon my ignorance but what is RL music? what do they need so many CS-80s for?

can you provide contact information for this guy in case i ever need some servicing done?

what group did he send this pic to? is this group something that a CS-80 owner would want to belong to?

enquiring minds wants to know.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 am

RL music is a repair shop near London, UK. They buy up semi-broken CS-80's from auctions, spend a couple hundred hours restoring them to perfection, then resell them at £4000+
And they DO get sold, every one of them. They claim to be the only company in the world who completely restore cs-80's.

Check out www.rlmusic.co.uk

The sales section is SICK, so many vintage hotties you'll cream your pants. Of course they sell and resell heaps of other vintage synths too.
I've seen loads of Jupiter-8's come and go on their site. But AFAIK it's not a store front that's open to the public, so no pilgrim trips sadly.

They do not go down on their (high) prices though. A friend who owns a synth store in Oslo called and tried to get a bargain on a Jupiter-8. The guy just wouldn't budge, he wouldn't even sponsor the shipping.
So there was no deal, cuz he'd have to resell it in Norway at +25% more to earn anything, that would be a ridiculous price.

And alas, thus I never got to play with one. Yet.
They also sell the Macbeth M5 (new) and Buchla 200e.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote: Unlike Bitexion, I don't hate it... I like it in a "awww, I remember when we all thought that was so cool" sort of way... but compared to similar songs of the same era, it's pretty standard fare.
IIRC, that song came out even before Replicas.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:48 pm

Bitexion wrote:Check out www.rlmusic.co.uk

The sales section is SICK, so many vintage hotties you'll cream your pants.
thanks for the link.

the refinished instruments look gorgeous. looks like they stand behind their product too - guaranteed e-mail response 24x7x365???

i think it was the prices that made me sick though. that's some serious dosh they charge there!

still, i'm glad to know they have managed to successfully carve a quality specialized niche for themselves - i'm envious...

SWAN

Re: Count the CS-80s on TOTP for one song of 1:53 length

Post by SWAN » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:35 pm

SubliminalEffect wrote:
all in the service of John Foxx singing Underpass from his album Metamatic.
LOL

That really cheered me up....

Respect to the 80s