The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by balma » Thu May 02, 2013 3:04 am

Now talking about the dark side :shock: .... I wonder if you are familiarized with the japanese ones..

One of my favorite soundtracks ever is the music from JU-ON, the grudge. Is almost perfect.
is a very discrete soundtrack. sounds and music appear just when they have to, to briefly musically depict an scene.

This is my favorite terror film, along with the Shinning. In this genre, for each 50 movies I watch, I have 45 dissapointments... But this movie, stands alone.....magnific.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Polar-
Band: Dilillis

Post by Polar- » Thu May 02, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm wondering what synth could be reponsible for the awesome sound og the fictional synth/timetravel-module in the 1987 epic Masters Of The Universe. Here it is (6:30):

I guess it's japanese :P Maybe a Roland JX-8/10? Or a D-50?

Seems like it's the same synth being played later on:

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm

Keyboard wizard Rick Wakeman did the synth work for the horror comedy "Creepshow 2" (1987) and as far as I'm concerned
he did a pretty good job.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat May 04, 2013 8:46 pm

Codename: Wildgeese (1984) starring Lewis Collins, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Van Cleef, Klaus Kinski.
The German progressive rock band Eloy did the synth score for this long-forgotten 1984 War movie.

I recently got the soundtrack on vinyl and I think it's quite a decent score.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Sat May 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Micke wrote:Codename: Wildgeese (1984) starring Lewis Collins, Ernest Borgnine, Lee Van Cleef, Klaus Kinski.
The German progressive rock band Eloy did the synth score for this long-forgotten 1984 War movie.

I recently got the soundtrack on vinyl and I think it's quite a decent score.
im rather fond of Commando Leopard as well
yamoto773

Python Blue
Gear: Roland JV2080, Korg TR-Rack, Korg M1 VST, Korg Wavestation VST, Native Instruments Kontakt, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, etc.
Band: Python Blue

Post by Python Blue » Tue May 14, 2013 9:29 am

First of all, sorry for yet another absence; been swamped with offline matters the past few months, and finals only finished as of last week.

I'm happy I found such a thread at last, since I'm mostly into soundtracks over other genres of music. Micke, I noticed your current avatar is of Michael Myers? I've listened to the Halloween 4 soundtrack A LOT and can confirm that most, if not all, of the sounds in that soundtrack were from the Emulator II with OMI and Northstar's "Universe of Sounds" CD's. Sources claim it was Alan Howarth's first use of the Synclavier, but the only evidence I can find of it are some bell sounds which, then again, were also sampled from a Synclavier by OMI for the first two UoS CD's. The fourth and fifth movie also make use of a Prophet VS preset called "STEWKEY", though I'm not sure if it was the actual VS or Northstar's sampling of it, and the fifth movie MIGHT have had some obvious Synclavier use (I recognize a Tibetan Monk drone from the Sonic Images CD's, which I'm pretty sure were often used with Synclaviers). Sorry if these movies were brought up before (this certainly IS a long thread).
Python Blue - composer

Official Website
Bandcamp

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 16, 2013 5:21 pm

That's news to me, interesting. I have the Halloween IV soundtrack on CD but it's been a while since I heard it.
I was under the impression that Alan used pretty much the same synth setup on this score as for They Live (see
equiipment list below). Alan's first use of the Synclavier was actually on They Live (which was recorded right before HIV).

Alan doesn't respond to my emails anymore for some reason so maybe you could drop him an email and ask what
synths he was using on this soundtrack. You can contact him at his site: http://alanhowarth.com/bio.html

Equipment used on They Live (1987):

KEYBOARDS – Synclavier Digital Audio System, Emulator II with OMI CD-ROM, Yamaha DX7, SCI Prophet 10, 2002 and VS, Ensoniq EPS and SQ-80, Oberheim SEM-4.

OUTBOARD EFFECTS – Korg DVP-1, Moog Vocoder, Eventide H949, Lexicon 224X, Delta Lab DL-4 & DL-5, JL Cooper MSB 16/20.

RECORDERS AND CONSOLE – Soundcraft 2400, Ampex MM-1100 24 trk, Otari Mark III-4 & 8, Sony VO 5850, Sony PCM-F1, 3M tape.

COMPUTERS AND SOFTWARE – Apple Macintosh SE & II, Digidesign Cue Sheet, Mark of the Unicorn Performer 2.31.

EDIT: for comparison, here's the keyboard setup used on Halloween V (1989):
Synclavier 9600 Digital Audio System
Emulator I, II, III
SCI Prophet 5, 10, VS, 2002
Oberheim SEM 4-Voice
Yamaha DX 7
KTI G2 1000 Midi Controller

cheers,
Micke

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon May 27, 2013 3:42 pm

While not as good as Vince Di Cola's soundtrack for Rocky IV, Frank Harris' Synclavier-based score to the original (international) version of
the martial arts movie No Retreat, No Surrender (1985) certainly has its moments:

[bbvideo][bbvideo 560,340][/bbvideo][/bbvideo]

The US version of this movie was scored by Paul Gilreath and his score is pretty good as well.

As for as the movie itself...well, it's definitely one of the cheesiest movies I've seen. The acting in particular is really bad.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed May 29, 2013 1:31 am

Although today he's known as the brains behind a multimedia empire in his younger days Haim Saban was a musician. Along with Shuki Levy he composed the soundtracks for a number of series, including the classic Inspector Gadget.

I remember reading a claim that Levy and Saban used a Fairlight CMI on the soundtrack, although nothing here sounds much like the "classic" Fairlight sounds that everyone overused.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu May 30, 2013 8:57 pm

I recently discovered another awesome movie soundtrack from the early '80s; namely Robert O. Ragland's electronic/orchestral
score to the action-crime-thriller "10 To Midnight" (1983), starring Charles Bronson:

Synthesizer programming by Rob Walsh (the same guy who scored the cult-classic "Revenge of the Ninja" later the same year), Chris Page
and Alan Oldfield.

I watched this film the other day and thought it was great and the same goes for the score.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Power Glove's synth score to Farcry 3: Blood Dragon is awesome!

Anyone knows what hardware and software synths they were using to create the score?

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Hard to know if this has been posted before if people don't put any text in but here's a couple of tracks from The Howling II OST by Steve Parsons & Babel, 1985 I think.

And something new and rather good - Rob's soundtrack for Maniac in a classic horror style.

Infinity Curve
Gear: SH101, Monomachine, Machinedrum, Analog Four, lots of eurorack
Band: Infinity Curve

Post by Infinity Curve » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Watched 'Miami Connection' over the weekend; hadn't seen it in YEARS!! It's currently on US Netflix if anybody wants to check it out.

Quite nice score by Jon McCallum, similar vibes to 'Surf Nazis must die'.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Here's another cool electronic/orchestral score that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread (at least I don't think so)....

Polish composer Andrzej Korzynski's 1981 score to the horror flick "Possession":

You can listen to the complete score here: