The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Carey M » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:00 pm

Sorry for the spam, but I feel our upcoming short movie owes so much to many of the movies and soundtracks discussed in this thread, that I can't help but toot my horn a little.

Have a great weekend, folks!

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:23 pm

Carey M wrote:Sorry for the spam, but I feel our upcoming short movie owes so much to many of the movies and soundtracks discussed in this thread, that I can't help but toot my horn a little.

Have a great weekend, folks!
Wow! that's awesome. I'm checking out your music now because of this.

Edit: I just bought your album on iTunes. s**t is great! Is there any vinyl available?

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer

Post by Carey M » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:21 am

themilford wrote: Edit: I just bought your album on iTunes. s**t is great! Is there any vinyl available?
Well, you're much too kind. Really. But thank you! Regarding the vinyl, yes, we released one, and no, they're not sold out yet. I think. But if Svart Records have none left, I can't say where to look for one. Some arseholes are selling them for idiotic prices on eBay, can't really recommend those.

EDIT: it seems the vinyl is still available here at 11.95€ + shipping.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:18 pm

Hey Carey M, that's very good indeed :thumbsup:
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:02 pm

I used to watch this when I was little, and recently found it was out on DVD. Great score from Alan Hawkshaw, ca. 1980. Love that brass.

Music proper starts about 2:00.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:50 pm

Nathanscribe, I think some of that music was released on a Bruton library LP called "Great Mysteries of the world".

I don't know if it's the same music as used in the TV-series but as you can hear there are similarities:

I bet he used a CS-80 for a lot of the brass and pads.

Pretty good stuff! I'd love to get my hands on a vinyl copy!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Good news for fans of classic electronic film scores...

Richard Einhorn's soundtrack to the cult horror movie SHOCK WAVES (1977) will be released on CD in 2014!

Here's a suite from Einhorn's creepy score:

The original master tapes were thought to have been lost or destroyed so this is very good news indeed.

Einhorn was associated with the Columbia Princeton Electronic Music Center and was a protege of Vladimir Ussachevsky, one of the pioneers
of electronic musis. Shock Waves was afaik Einhorn's first, ever, film score.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:27 pm

I'm still holding out for goods on my earlier query, the electronic elements of Alan Silvestri's Avengers score.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Carey M

Post by Carey M » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:32 am

Micke wrote:Good news for fans of classic electronic film scores...

Richard Einhorn's soundtrack to the cult horror movie SHOCK WAVES (1977) will be released on CD in 2014!
That has got to be one of the most amazing movie plots ever. Underwater nazi zombies. Can't beat that!

The score adds greatly to the atmosphere, imo. Makes the movie a lot less comedic even. But still, underwater nazi zombies. :mrgreen:

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:34 am

Micke wrote:Good news for fans of classic electronic film scores...

Here's a suite from Einhorn's creepy score:

The original master tapes were thought to have been lost or destroyed so this is very good news indeed.

Einhorn was associated with the Columbia Princeton Electronic Music Center and was a protege of Vladimir Ussachevsky, one of the pioneers
of electronic musis. Shock Waves was afaik Einhorn's first, ever, film score.
I like SHOCK WAVES! The somewhat recent Blue Underground DVD release (which I have), and the video you posted, don't have as good of a sound to them during the opening Title Sequence. The older copies of the film, with the murky red background, have a really bad-a*s, booming bass, synth sound, when the swastika and SHOCK WAVES title text appear!

Listen to the end of this video below, and compare it to the one above, and you will see what I mean. The same effect in the one above, and on the DVD, is weak in comparison. I like the overdriven, deep bass version much better. The video cuts off prematurely a little bit, but this is the sound I remember hearing when it aired on TV in the early 80s. I hope this new CD score has the ballsier version!

The photo used in the narration sequence, is of a group of Waffen-SS soldiers, which was published on the back of a Ballantine war book in the 70s. They most likely shot the photo directly off the back of the Ballantine book for the movie intro.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 am

Dark Star by Carpenter has some cool synth pieces in it:

I really like this cover of the Assualt on Precinct 13 theme. Too bad he didn't do the full length theme, I wanted to hear it play out longer.. For the bass part of this theme, Carpenter said he was inspired by the Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin. He took the main riff of that song and just slowed it down.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 am

If I remember correctly all the synth sounds in the Dark Star soundtrack are VCS3.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:44 am

Micke wrote:Nathanscribe, I think some of that music was released on a Bruton library LP called "Great Mysteries of the world".

I don't know if it's the same music as used in the TV-series but as you can hear there are similarities:
It does sound very similar - I'd have to watch the episodes again to confirm, but I'm pretty sure one or two of those at least made an appearance in Mysterious World. I did wonder if it was a CS80. 8-)

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:05 pm

tim gueguen wrote:If I remember correctly all the synth sounds in the Dark Star soundtrack are VCS3.
That's correct.

I like Carpenter's Dark Star score but I rarely listen to the CD because it's filled with dialogue and SFX from the film, I hate dialogue
being overlaid on the music - it's so frustrating. Why they decided to include so much of it is beyond me.

I really hope some soundtrack label out there will release a dialogue-free (and remastered) Dark Star CD.

Alan Howarth has recently done a decent re-recording of Dark Star (as well as AOP13) but I much prefer the originals. IMHO these
two classic synth scores just don't sound "right" when performed on software synths.

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:48 pm

Apologies if this has already been covered but here goes;

After watching bladerunner for what must be the 1000th time, I noticed that there is a great deal off music in there that is not featured on the soundtrack, some completely original and some are what can only been described as variations of the main theme.

Did these ever get released in some sort of special edition? Does anyone have any information on these unpressed recordings?
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.