The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
forcedopinion

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by forcedopinion » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:45 am

I ripped the ROLF THEME from the S/T Chris J. King LP. Written by Fabio Frizzi and CJ King. Pretty rare theme as I've never heard this full track until I found a copy of the LP in Russia. Mellotron strings, Roland Jupiter-8, drum machine is...Linn? Oberheim?

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Hey Micke, you don't have a copy of The Blood Stained Shadow (Solamente Nero) do you? I've been listening to the whole thing on youtube, but would love to have mp3/wavs of it.

From page 1 of this mighty thread, for those who have forgotten:

The Blood Stained Shadow aka Solamente Nero (Goblin, 1977)

Love it!

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 am

Another John Barry theme with synth bass, this time from the 1972 ITC series The Adventurer, starring American actor Gene Barry.

I like co-star Barry Morse's comment about the series: "It wasn't the worst show ever made, but it certainly wasn't the best!" Which could be said for a good chunk of the TV we've all seen.

And from the great Henry Mancini, the NBC Mystery Movie theme from the early '70s. This anthology series introduced the long running McCloud, Columbo, and McMillan and Wife properties.

Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:01 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Hey Micke, you don't have a copy of The Blood Stained Shadow (Solamente Nero) do you? I've been listening to the whole thing on youtube, but would love to have mp3/wavs of it.

From page 1 of this mighty thread, for those who have forgotten:

The Blood Stained Shadow aka Solamente Nero (Goblin, 1977)

Love it!
Yes I have the original soundtrack on CD and I love it too. The music was actually composed and performed by Stelvio Cipriani with
members of Goblin (Simonetti/Morante/Pignatelli/Marangolo). The film (and score) dates from 1978, not '77.

Claudio Simonetti played the keys/synths on numerous Cipriani scores back in the late '70's and early '80s, not just this one.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:51 pm

Here's another great score by Stelvio Cipriani from the horror movie Incubo Sulla Città Contaminata aka Nightmare City (1980).
I'm not completely sure if Claudio Simonetti played on this score but I wouldn't be surprised if he did. However, It could be so that
Mr. Cipriani handled all the keyboard/synth work himself because he was/is a very good pianist (he played the piano
and organ on his scores). Fabio Frizzi also played keyboards (especially mellotron) and sometimes synths on his own scores but,
like Cipriani, he often used session keyboardists/synthesists, usually Goblin keyboardist Maurizio Guarini.

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I received in the mail today Christian Bruhn's synth-driven soundtrack to the German TV-series "Timm Thaler" (1979),
and the disc has been spinning nonstop in my CD player...I absolutely love it!

Kristian Schultze played the synths on this score just like he did on Bruhn's "Captain Future" soundtrack (1980).

I'm not 100% sure but I suppose he used pretty much the same synths on this score as he did on Captain Future, e.g. Minimoog,
Prophet 5, CS-80, Jupiter-4, Solina string ensemble...

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:13 pm

I recently watched the Troma 'classic' Surf Nazis Must Die. A rather boring piece of trash cinema, but I did rather enjoy the soundtrack. Not very well produced (nor was the film), sounds pretty crappy in places to be honest, but it still was captivating. A lot of the synth sounds remind me of Casio CZ -series.

Apparently the soundtrack hasn't been released in any format, yet.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:38 pm

"The Adventurer" reminded me of "The Persuaders". Apologies if it's already been mentioned. Any idea what synth(s) was/were used on this theme tune?

GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Pretty sure it's a Moog modular or an early R.A. Moog Minimoog on that bassline, it definitely sounds like it. John Barry had already utilized the big
Moog on his earlier scores to The Lion in Winter (1968), On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969) and, I think, Midnight Cowboy (1969).
For OHMSS, which features the Moog throughout, they used no less than three Moog's playing along with the orchestra.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:27 pm

Micke wrote:Pretty sure it's a Moog modular or an early R.A. Moog Minimoog on that bassline.
I was hoping you'd say that. I agree, that Moog texture is definitely there. Thanks.
GC

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:46 pm

This thread has been a bit quiet lately..so, once again, here we go....

Film composer Joel Goldsmith got into electronics early because his father, legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith (RIP), was into it. By the time his father did the score for Reincarnation of Peter Proud" (early 1975),
Joel was getting interested in electronics and helped him out a bit. A few years later, in late '77, he'd compose his first all-synth score together with Richard Band:

This is one of the first film scores to feature the Yamaha CS-80.

Joel continued to use synts on his scores but afaik it would take several years until he made an all-synth score
again; namely 1983's "The Man With Two Brains":

His soundtrack for "Crystal Heart" (1986) was a combination of electronic and acoustic (and a pretty good one, too!):

recordbot

Post by recordbot » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Micke wrote:1983's "The Man With Two Brains"
man with two brains is such a fantastic soundtrack

Jimmy Page/ Lucifer Rising (rejected) /1972

Bobby BeauSoleil & The Freedom Orchestra / Lucifer Rising /1972

Last edited by recordbot on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdannyg
Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Post by mdannyg » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:20 pm

Wow, I definitely will have to watch all of Crystal Heart. Not bad when the first minute of a movie involves someone playing an SCI Six Track.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:24 pm

Yeah that's actor/musician Lee Curreri, mostly known for playing "Bruno" in the film and TV-series "Fame".

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Can't remember if this has been discussed but ALAN SILVESTRI'S "THE DELTA FORCE" Score.

Any idea what was used? Drum machine, couple of synths, maybe an emulator?

[youtube][/youtube]