The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Cybercardinal » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:30 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Then there is the infamous "choir organ" (used on "In den Gärten Pharaos" and "Aguirre") which is obscured by a lot of lore but I suspect it to be either a Chamberlin 600 or a Mellotron Mk. 1/2 with custom tapes.

Stephen
Aguirre is one of my absolute favourite choir tracks. The choir sound was made by a special tape loop device.

http://www.popolvuh.nl/pvchoir

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:28 am

Cybercardinal wrote:
ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Then there is the infamous "choir organ" (used on "In den Gärten Pharaos" and "Aguirre") which is obscured by a lot of lore but I suspect it to be either a Chamberlin 600 or a Mellotron Mk. 1/2 with custom tapes.

Stephen
Aguirre is one of my absolute favourite choir tracks. The choir sound was made by a special tape loop device.

http://www.popolvuh.nl/pvchoir
That's the lore I was referring to. Hearsay.

Hearsay and blurred memories.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:12 pm

Here's most, if not all, of the electronic cues that were used in the US theatrical & extended cuts of George A. Romero's classic zombi flick
"Dawn of the dead" (1979):

Note that none of this material was used in Dario Argento's Italian cut of the movie ("Zombi") which was scored by Goblin. The music was culled from the Music De Wolfe library records "Sounds Unusual"
(Derek Scott, 1975) and "Blue Wing console - Sun High" (Simon Park, 1976).

Only a small portion of Goblin's score, about five tracks, were used in the US theatrical cut (which premiered in april/may '79, about 6 months after Argento's Italian cut).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:00 am

Has "Deadly Encounter" been mentioned already http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083800/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 ?

A little B-flick starring Larry Hagman as a helicopter pilot who ends up in trouble. Music by Michael Hoenig and Fred Karlin plus programming/playing skills by Peter Robinson (lots of Oberheim Four Voice sequencing and what sounds like either Linn LM-1 or Oberheim DMX).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:44 pm

Yes I've already mentioned that movie/score a couple of times in this thread (on pages 27 & 30).

Anyway, the score is pretty good. I just wish it was available on LP or CD. It'd be interesting to know
if the music was co-written by Hoenig and Karlin or whether they worked on separate cues.

You can watch the full movie and listen to the score here:

"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:16 pm

More classic Dr. Who synth:

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:44 pm

There's a whole series of soundtracks for each of the Doctors; I love this stuff! Here's the 5th Doctor:

brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:49 pm

I don't think Dennis Michael Tenney's synth-score to Night of the Demons (1988) has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

I just read that the complete soundtrack will be released on CD and LP later this year.

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Sun May 10, 2015 1:26 am

Micke, any idea what Bill Conti was using around 1990? I just picked up the Year Of The Gun score and it's mega synth heavy. Synclavier?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun May 10, 2015 4:06 pm

I've no idea what Conti was using on that score, I haven't even heard it. I just checked the album credits at http://www.discogs.com
and it says that someone called Jack Eskew programmed the synths. Eskew arranged/orchestrated several soundtracks by Conti
back in the '80s and '90s and additionally played synths on the soundtrack to "Betrayed" (1988). Michael Boddicker also played
synths on numerous scores by Conti eg The Right Stuff, Karate Kid II & III, Lock Up, The Fourth War ...but I don't think he was
involved in the Year of the gun score.

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Sun May 10, 2015 8:29 pm

I'll put a couple cuts of the score on youtube when I have some extra time. It's very good.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re:

Post by nathanscribe » Wed May 13, 2015 2:06 pm

Micke wrote:Runaway (Jerry Goldsmith, 1984) - Trailer
I watched this on Netflix the other day - the end titles say "Music composed on Yamaha Digital Instruments".

Any idea which ones? There're some nice FM patches going on in there. Lots of fun. And a better film than I anticipated, particularly with the drone cameras and tablets, 80s style. :D

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 pm

I believe Jerry had an advertising deal with Yamaha back in the mid-to-late '80s and that's probably the reason he gave the company
an actual screen credit on Runaway.

The Yamaha keys included the GS-1 and a rack of three DX-7s. The other gear/synths used on this score were a Roland MKB-1000 MIDI keyboard controller, Roland MSQ-700 sequencer, Rhodes Chroma, Minimoog, Jupiter-8, Memorymoog, Oberheim system (OB-8, DMX & DSX), Prophet T8, acoustic grand piano, a rented Emulator (percussion sounds/effects) and a Doctor Click (mainly used for the drum machines and to run the arpeggiators in the various synths).

Jerry wrote out the music as if it were an orchestral score* and did most of the programming and playing.

* but the orchestration was not done in imitation of an orchestra.

EDIT: the same setup as above, minus the Emulator, was used for both Supergirl and Gremlins. And for 1985's Legend he used
a Yamaha DX-7, Roland Jupiter 8, Memorymoog, Oberheim OB-8, DMX & DSX, and Sequential Prophet T8 along with a large orchestra and choir.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri May 15, 2015 4:01 pm

Wow. Thanks again Micke!

hemanshera66

Post by hemanshera66 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:52 pm

Does anyone have an idea of what synthesizer Shuki Levy used to compose/perform the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe music (1983). The reason why I want to know is because I might want to buy one. :newhere: