The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Virgule

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Virgule » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:36 am

hemanshera66 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what synthesizer Shuki Levy used to compose/perform the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe music (1983). The reason why I want to know is because I might want to buy one. :newhere:

Oberheim System (OB-Xa, DMX, DSX) but there's a a sampler as well...maybe an Emulator 1?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 pm

Here are a few more synth-driven TV-themes/soundtracks that haven't been mentioned yet:

Chi? 1976 (Goblin) opening & closing music from the Italian TV-series Chi?:

Fantastic Fly 1979 (I Pooh/Roby Facchinetti) - Theme from the TV-series 'Racconti Fantastici di Edgar Allan Poe':

Silk Road 1980-81 (Kitaro) Japanese TV documentary series:

Tomorrow's World 1980-85 (Richard Denton & Martin Cook):

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy 1981 ("Journey of the Sorcerer", synth arr. by Tim Souster, recorded 1979):

St. Elsewhere 1981 (Dave Grusin):

Darkroom 1981 (David Shire-theme & Dan Wyman-score) horror/mystery TV-series:

L'Aventure Des Plantes 1982 (Joel Fajerman):

Automan 1983-84 (Stu Phillips):

The Hitchhiker 1983-1984 (Michel Rubini):

Casualty 1986- (Ken Freeman):
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:11 am

A few memories there! Thanks Micke :)

A couple of those also reminded me that there was a short lived Australian sci-fi series in late 70s or early 80s called "Timelapse". The main thing I remember about it was that it had a pretty cool signature theme (well, I thought so at the time anyway!).

The only reference I can find to it on the web is this video of Peter Vogel (from the old ABC current affairs program "This Week") with the Fairlight just after it came out. It's likely a fair few of you have already seen this (it's hysterical to watch, especially some of the interviewer's comments, not to mention the "fashion")
The last couple of minutes (from 4:50) has a Fairlight-only version of the "Timelapse" theme. I'm quite sure the version that went to air had a fuller arrangement with other synths and effects, but this gives you a basic idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:19 pm

The music for the sci-fi series "Timelapse" (1980) was done by Michael Carlos who was closely involved in the development of the Fairlight CMI.
Michael did several CMI (and Quasar) demos including this one which includes the theme of the ABC TV series "Timelapse":
http://www.anerd.com/fairlight/audioarchives/fa024.mp3 (@7:10)
This might even be the actual version of the theme that was used in the series, what do you think?
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:22 pm

Need to correct a mistake....

The Hitchhiker 1983-1984 (Michel Rubini):

The eerie sounding opening music is by Paul Hoffert. The other music in this episode was composed by Michel Rubini, including the closing theme which is loosely based on the
original theme. From what I understand Hoffert did all the music for the 1st three pilot episodes of the show but after that Michel Rubini was brought in to score the show (episode
4 onwards). Hoffert's opening music continued to be used for the subsequent episodes though.

It sounds like Hoffert used analog synths for the most part when scoring the three pilot episodes. Rubini on the other hand used the Synclavier predominantly.

mpa1104
Gear: Finally, enough gear that exceeds the 150 character allowance. WooHoo - I qualify as an obsessed gear-head!

Post by mpa1104 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:03 pm

Micke wrote:The music for the sci-fi series "Timelapse" (1980) was done by Michael Carlos who was closely involved in the development of the Fairlight CMI.
Michael did several CMI (and Quasar) demos including this one which includes the theme of the ABC TV series "Timelapse":
http://www.anerd.com/fairlight/audioarchives/fa024.mp3 (@7:10)
This might even be the actual version of the theme that was used in the series, what do you think?
You've done it again Micke, or should I say "enlightened one"? (I swear you are the Shakyamuni of the Synth :D :D )
Yes, that's definitely how I remember it. And I like that "Fairlight Story" page too, don't know why I've not come across that one before. Many thanks
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't like my personality, I have several more.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:45 am

The Machine (2013), OST by Tom Raybould.

A nice low-budget British sci-fi, not groundbreaking plot-wise but definitely worth a watch, and the soundtrack is pretty good. A few nods to Bladerunner and John Carpenter's stuff in there, and even a touch of Brad Fiedel's Terminator sounds too.

Esus

Post by Esus » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:46 am

Put this on last night for my teenage daughter to show her that sci-fi doesn't begin and end with Dr. !%$%^ Who.
The score is a combination of orchestral/electronic. My favorite cue is @ 25:37.
Laurie Spiegel has a credit for "sound special effects". Does anyone know if she used the Alles synth?

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:33 am

Time for some more anime music. Here's the soundtrack album for Revenge Road, the fourth episode of the classic late '80s series Bubblegum Crisis. Koji Makaino was composer for the series.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:40 pm

Some more cool synth-scores from the mid-80s....

C.H.U.D. ost (1984) - Martin Cooper & David A. Hughes:

This low-budget horror film has a pretty good synth-score by OMD members Martin Cooper and David Hughes.
The music, which btw will be released in complete form on vinyl later this year, was recorded right after OMD's album "Junk Culture" in the spring of '84.

Night of the Creeps ost (1986) - Barry DeVorzon:

DeVorzon mentions in the CD liner notes that for Creeps, "I used a Roland and a Prophet 5 to create both the
underscore and those "creep" effects."
It also sounds like some digital synth (DX-7?) and sampler (Emulator?) were used.

Cat's Eye (1986) - Alan Silvestri:

From what I understand the soundtrack was almost entirely recorded with some multi-track sequencer (QX-1?) controlling a bunch of DX-7's!
The score has just been released on CD in remastered/complete form by Intrada Records.

Raw Deal (1986) - Cinemascore: Chris Boardman, Tom Bahler, Albhy Galuten, Claude Gaudette...

This bonafide hard-hitting synth-rock score was performed with a Synclavier system (tons of sampling and sequencing), Yamaha TX-816 and some great guitar overdubs by Steve Lukather.

Cecil Dubreque

Post by Cecil Dubreque » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:08 am

Some really cool stuff on this list but noticed that no one had mentioned any of Cerrone's soundtrack work. It is generally much more synthetic than his studio albums of the era, most likely due to the necessity of recording them quickly and on a small budget but moments of the soundtrack to the 2nd "Brigade Mondaine" film really stand out for me as some of his best work in general.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:31 am

Micke wrote:I've been listening a lot to Rick Wakeman's synthesizer score for the 1981 horror flick The Burning lately and I really
dig it. From what I understand the A-side of the original LP contains variations of the music heard in the film while the
B-side contains the actual underscore. I haven't seen the film but I have the feeling Wakeman recorded more music
than what's available on the soundtrack album.

I was recently told by Wakeman that almost the entire score was done with the Prophet 10. However, the A-side of
the LP ("The Wakeman variations") features "Korg synthesizers" along with Prophet 5 and Prophet 10. Rick wanted
to replace a lot of his older instruments for the 1981 world tour, so he ordered a lot of new stuff from Korg including
two Sigma's, two Lambda's, two LP-10 electronic pianos, a PS-3200, Trident and a BX-3 organ. I guess some of that
stuff made it to the A-side of The Burning soundtrack album.
I finally saw this movie, in its entirety, a few days ago.. It reminded me a lot of Madman from 1982. Upon researching the both of them more, I discovered that Madman was intended to be based on the New York Cropsey legend, as well. Due to the creators of Madman, discovering The Burning's existence, they modified their story, and script, into the Madman Marz legend. The Madman Marz legend is actually a variant of the New York Cropsey legend, in which Cropsey goes mad, then kills his wife and children with an axe. Then there was a 2009 documentary style film, titled Cropsey, which delves into the story of an old insane asylum located in New York.

Did you ever make a post detailing what synths were used for the Madman Soundtrack?

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:14 pm

SeventhStar wrote: Did you ever make a post detailing what synths were used for the Madman Soundtrack?
No, I don't know what synths were used on this soundtrack.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

Speaking of Stephen Horelick's synth-score to "Madman", I just learned that it'll be released on vinyl and CD this fall!

I've got more good news for fans of classic synthesizer scores: also coming this year on vinyl and CD are the soundtrack to the 1984 cult horror flick C.H.U.D. (Waxwork records, vinyl-only release I think), Robert Walsh's score to "Revenge of the Ninja" (1983) - first time on CD (Varese sarabande), and Dennis Michael Tenney's "Night of the Demons" (1988) - Lunaris records.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:55 am

Film scores that were primarly created on a Buchla modular system seem to be few and far between. In fact, just about the only one I know of is Barry Schrader's
electronic score to the sci-fi thriller/horror flick "Galaxy of Terror" (1981):

Suzanne Ciani used her Buchla 200 to score Lloyd Michael Williams' short film "Rainbow's children" (1975), but I can't think of any other feature-lenght film that
features the Buchla.