The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Postby Johnny Lenin » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:06 pm

Micke wrote:Solaris (Edward Artemyev, 1972)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNsXg86gFSg

Artemyev's eerie sounding electro-acoustic score was recorded on the ancient ANS photoelectric synthesizer:
http://theremin.ru/archive/ans.htm

I had forgotten about the Solaris score. It is so much a part of that film that it's almost like another character; you don't think of it as music.

Geez... I love that movie.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Postby MarkM » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 pm

There's some nice theremin work in 1951's "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Don't forget Hitchcock's "The Birds." There is no music other than the school children singing. All the bird sounds are electronic.
MarkM

Postby stephen » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:40 pm

Some Jackie Chan action...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oH7cOZjd3mk

Check out the soundtrack from 1:50 :)

More Jackie Chan
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Up-G57Cj0 ... re=related
(This is the one I remember any way....)

Street HawK:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=N_F2_7gwFKc
Stephen(2)
stephen

Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Postby gredmond » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:47 pm

---what technology were they using on forbidden planet ? (other than the theremin as this soundtrack is REAL old!!! predating lots of commercially available synthesizers i imagine)

No theremins on the Forbidden Planet soundtrack. All hand-built, vacuum tube circuits based on early cybernetic theory. From the Remix article:

Sometimes, they would deliberately overcrank the incoming voltages to get weird feedbacklike tones. “You could hear [the circuits] doing it,” Bebe told National Public Radio's Susan Stone in an interview last year. “You could even see it! It was like they were alive and had a lifespan of their own. They would smoke; they would do all kinds of strange things.” There was always the risk of a circuit burning out or popping, so Bebe constantly rolled tape to capture the effect. “Otherwise it might be gone forever,” she said. Afterward, the audio itself could be manipulated with tape delay, reverb, reverse playback and regeneration for a truly futuristic sound.

http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_louis_bebe_barron/
gredmond

Postby JJQ » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:26 am

Thanks for the Antarctica/ Vangelis score. Didnt know of that.

And The Solaris, havent seen it in a long time, but truly love it. And its so nice to hear about a machine that I dont already know.
Gear: Minimoog, Mother-32, Roland MC-202, TB-303, (Boss) DR-110, TR-505, TR-808, Alpha Juno 2, Jupiter-8, Oberheim SEM, .com/oakley/moon/mos-lab/STG/Sputnik/MegaOhm-modular & Microbrute
JJQ

Postby Johnny Lenin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:04 am

The interesting thing about Norman McLaren is that he composed a lot of his own electronic music for his films.

Check out Neighbours from 1952. Even earlier is Dots from 1940.

McLaren would often create soundtracks by printing directly onto the sound strip on film. The Neighbours music sounds a lot like Hugh Le Caine's music of the period, who was also in Toronto at the time. I wonder if there is a connection.
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Postby Micke » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:45 am

MarkM wrote:There's some nice theremin work in 1951's "The Day the Earth Stood Still."

Don't forget Hitchcock's "The Birds." There is no music other than the school children singing. All the bird sounds are electronic.

Oscar Sala and Hitchcock at the Mixtur-trautonium
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby hinotori » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:29 am

(OT) in connection to norman mclaren, i think Daphne Orams oramics is similar to his methods. Im not sure of the precise details but drawing on film strip to create music is an interesting method. I wonder if the method could be seen as an influence on Xenakis and his Ircam system.

I remember seeing a short piece of film art a few years back where a guy in a striped t-shirt moves across the screen from left to right, his image is printed across the whole film strip (including the sound area) so his stripey t-shirt creates the sound track.
Does anyone have an idea who made it? i think there was a connection to terry riley or tony conrad there.

(back on topic)

SOLARIS IS AMAZING !

was the ANS used on the soundtrack to stalker as well ?
hinotori

Gear: /A1200/CVI/SIXTRAK/
SYSTEM100&100M/CS30/SK1/NORDG2/

Postby hinotori » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:30 am

appreciate the correction on the forbidden planet soundtrack .
interesting article . thanks :)
hinotori

Postby hinotori » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:37 am

here is another classic youtube clip of a Norman Mclaren work .

Synchromy

great pure tones in that one. visually too :)
hinotori

Postby hinotori » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:41 am

Heres the trailer for the rare 1983 movie "ANGST" by Gerald Kargl &
Zbigniew Rybczynski (Incredible and underrated director).

Soundtrack by Klaus Schulze.
Sounds like some PPG in there too, though i cant be sure .
Any ideas to his kit for this period ?

ANGST
hinotori

Postby hinotori » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:54 am

Dont forget some animation.
Giraud and Laloux classic "Les Maîtres du temps" from 1982.

TIME MASTERS(opening scene music)

soundtrack by:
Jean-Pierre Bourtayre, Pierre Tardy & Christian Zanesi

Anybody know anything more about these composers?

closing scene(spoiler)
hinotori

Postby Johnny Lenin » Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:35 am

Koa wrote:LeCaine got a position at McGill university in the late 50s, Mclaren was already hard at work at the NFB in Montreal years before. They could have crossed paths before that, who knows..anything's possible.

Well... as an erstwhile anglo Montreal academic, one thing I know is that anglo-Montreal academic/cultural circles are pretty small, so they probably did at least meet. I do remember seeing a lot of NFB shorts as a kid -- on television [there were these NFB vignettes on CBC] and in school -- and I seem to remember that a lot of them featured electronic music. nd when I worked at the CBC, I remember coming across soundtrack recording masters by Larry Lake in the archives. [I didn't listen to them.] So there was probably a lot of cross-pollination.

Something to explore, I think...
Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tim gueguen » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:07 am

While we're on the topic I'll ask my "gotta ask it every six months or so"question of whether anyone knows what the opening theme to the film Invasion UFO is. Although the movie was assembled from bits of various episodes of the Gerry Anderson series UFO it is NOT Barry Gray's original theme for the series nor a remake of the theme.

Another piece of music I'd love IDed is the electronic piece used in Parks Canada ads in the 1980s. I always thought it a strange choice given that it was a somewhat ominous minior key electronic piece that sounded more like something that would discoure people from visiting the parks than drawing them in.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound
tim gueguen

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring el

Postby manticore101 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:28 pm

Micke wrote:
manticore101 wrote:Maybe I have overlooked something here, but you seem to have forgot the most obvious connection between motion picture and synthesizer; Steven Spielbergs classic "Close encounter of the third kind" (1977)starring an ARP 2500 system as audio interface between human and aliens.

Yes but neither the TONTO (Phantom of the paradise) nor the Arp 2500 (Close encounters...) were actually used in the making of the soundtracks for those films.

Micke

Yes you are right there, but never the less... :)
Roland Juno-60, SH-2, SH-101, Juno 106, S-330, MKS-20, JV-2080, Moog Prodigy, Solina String Ensemble, Yamaha DX-7, EX-5, P-250, Cheetah MS-6, Novation Superbasstation, AKAI S-3000CD, Korg CX-3, Alesis ION.
manticore101

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers