The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Video clips from "classic" movies featuring electr

Post by Micke » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:10 pm

That's a good question Bitexion. I wish I had the answer. However, far from every album/soundtrack released
back in the '70s and '80s included gear lists.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:01 pm

Larry "synergy" Fast is without doubt one of my favorite synthesists (I have all his albums). Larry is best
known for his series of electronic music albums recorded under the project name Synergy, and also
for his work with Peter Gabriel back in the '70s and '80s. I wish that Larry had done more movie
soundtracks but afaik he scored only one movie: the "paranormal" documentary "The Jupiter Menace"(1982).

Some of his Synergy stuff (eg the tracks Icarus, Legacy, Delta 2 & 4 )was used in the TV-series "Cosmos" though
and he did record a few pieces for the film "The Right Stuff" in 1983 but none of those ended up in the movie.
"The Right Stuff" was eventually scored by Bill Conti.

Anyway, here you can watch this obscure documentary and listen to Larry's synthesizer score. I particularly like
his re-working of Holst's "Mars: The Bringer Of War" which accompanies the main titles...powerful stuff!

The Jupiter Menace: "A documentary that examines the theory that the world is doomed and nothing can be done about it.".
This movie was originally released on VHS and BETA back in 1982 but not released in the cimemas until the summer of 1984.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:14 pm

Wow, Micke - I was just coming on here to post that very same documentary. Great minds think alike! I've been really getting back into the Synergy stuff lately, and can't get enough. What's his gearlist like anyways?

I've been feeling the inspiration lately to really buckle down and start working on a symphony in the style of Fast, Tomita, Carlos, etc...would love to read more about any of these guys' process.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Micke wrote:Larry "synergy" Fast is without doubt one of my favorite synthesists (I have all his albums). Larry is best
known for his series of electronic music albums recorded under the project name Synergy, and also
for his work with Peter Gabriel back in the '70s and '80s. I wish that Larry had done more movie
soundtracks but afaik he scored only one movie: the "paranormal" documentary "The Jupiter Menace"(1982).
COOL.
I always saw the Jupiter Menace album in my Dad's record collection and was always drawn to it.
Thanks for posting this, at long last I can finally see this film
‹‡›

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:55 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:Wow, Micke - I was just coming on here to post that very same documentary. Great minds think alike! I've been really getting back into the Synergy stuff lately, and can't get enough. What's his gearlist like anyways?

I've been feeling the inspiration lately to really buckle down and start working on a symphony in the style of Fast, Tomita, Carlos, etc...would love to read more about any of these guys' process.

The instruments/gear used on "The Jupiter Menace" soundtrack included a Moog 15 plus some extra Moog modules, modified Minimoog,
Oberheim SEM, a PAiA 8700 computer (for sequencing), an Oberheim DS-2 digital sequencer and rev 1 Prophet 5. Also a
rack with a Harmonizer, Deltalab DS-2, a Lexicon digital reverb, Dimension-D (I think) and some outboard EQ.

Note however that Larry didn't use "different" instruments for different musical tasks like a lot of his contemporaries. His were
integrated into one large interconnected system with components from different places - everything was treated as one big synthesizer.

Says Larry: "For instance, the Prophet was always patched so that it's CV and Trigger outs were received by the rest of the system. Its output was usually paralleled with its mono CV output to a supporting patch created with the analog modules and/or the Mimimoog. The Model 15 interconnected with the Mini created a 6 oscillator multi-filter system. Add in the extra oscillators, filters and envelope generators from the Oberheim and the system was already pretty comprehensive. On its own the P5 had limited filtering and ambience possibilities so it was usually patched through the Moog filter modules, especially the multiband fixed filter bank, sometimes through the Oberheim variable CV filters, and always through the outboard effects for DDL, Harmonizing, etc. It's almost impossible to say that a specific sound was made by a particular model number of an instrument. I don't usually make my sounds that way. Mostly I used its (the P5) polyphonic capabilities to save the tedious labor of having to overdub and bounce mono lines of similar patches to build up chords."

"I was using a similar system on tour starting in 1976 with the Polymoog which also had a monophonic tracking CV and trigger output. I used it for low note priority output, By 1979 it (the P5) was often the main keyboard controller even when its internal sound generators weren't being used. Later it took in sequencer serial data from the 650x computer and served as a data to CV converter for the analog module."

"Remember, I would often double and triple the parts before bouncing them down."

cheers,
Micke

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Micke » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:16 pm

I decided to change the thread title because I think it's stupid. Besides, this thread is more about the music
than the movies themselves.

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:25 pm

As always, great info for the Fast stuff - thanks! And I totally agree with the thread title change. Still my favorite thread on this website!

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:09 pm

tomorrowstops wrote:As always, great info for the Fast stuff - thanks! And I totally agree with the thread title change. Still my favorite thread on this website!
Jabberwalky wrote:Micke
:ugeek:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:07 pm

LOL :)

In case you didn't already notice, besides newly composed music The Jupiter Menace contains quite a few pieces (mostly excerpts) culled from earlier Synergy albums such as Electronic Realization, Sequencer, Cords, Games and Audion. However, not all of those tracks are available on the soundtrack album.

The end credits music for example ("Trellis" from Cords) incorporates the first part of the original piece "Rampage of the elements". This track is heard in its entirety just before the opening titles (which is accompanied by the powerful piece "The Jupiter Menace" - a variation on Holst's "Mars: bringer of war").

I think I've identified all of the music in there except for the sequencer-driven cue that kicks in at 49:33. Does anyone recognize it?

fh991586
Gear: Roland D-50 + PG-1000, JP-8080.
Korg Kaossilator, MicroKorg,
Yamaha Motif Rack.
Midines

Post by fh991586 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:30 pm

Someone here already mentionned Haim Saban and Shuki Levy, but I can't tell enough about them without going into an hagiography. Their work for the French cartoon "Les mystérieuses cités d'or" is beyond what you can expect from a saturday morning cartoon... It is simply majestic, and will always be engraved in my memories. Most of my fun about synths is trying to recreate some parts of the soundtrack! Considering this music is 30 years old, it is terrific.

Here's some examples of themes (not always cd quality, but good enough to enjoy it):

Available for sale:
-Chamber of Sounds Jupiter III (mk1) & Jupiter T (mk1)
-The Complete DX7- Howard Massey (with original enclosed sounds on soft disks)

Esus

Post by Esus » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 pm

I stumbled across this recently:

After the Warming, a 1989 documentary by James Burke, Richard Elfyn Jones, composer, about a possible global warming scenario culminating in 2050. You can see it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9930450081

There's a cue @ 1:39:11 that is as direct a lift of a famous synth soundtrack as I've ever heard. ;) Check it out.

...and the doc is pretty good, too.

philip

Post by philip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:22 pm

fh991586 wrote:Someone here already mentionned Haim Saban and Shuki Levy, but I can't tell enough about them without going into an hagiography. Their work for the French cartoon "Les mystérieuses cités d'or" is beyond what you can expect from a saturday morning cartoon... It is simply majestic, and will always be engraved in my memories. Most of my fun about synths is trying to recreate some parts of the soundtrack! Considering this music is 30 years old, it is terrific.

Here's some examples of themes (not always cd quality, but good enough to enjoy it):

That someone was me ;) I love their Ghostbusters themes.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Esus wrote:I stumbled across this recently:

After the Warming, a 1989 documentary by James Burke, Richard Elfyn Jones, composer, about a possible global warming scenario culminating in 2050. You can see it here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9930450081

There's a cue @ 1:39:11 that is as direct a lift of a famous synth soundtrack as I've ever heard. ;) Check it out.

...and the doc is pretty good, too.
Yeah, and that famous synth soundtrack would be "Bladerunner" if I'm not mistaken.

Kidney05
Gear: Juno 106, Tetra, Mopho Keyboard, Little Phatty Stage II, RX-5, Volcas, JX-3P, R5, 505, TX-7, D550, TX81Z, Korg MS-20 Mini, Minibrute, Six Traks, TR-8

Post by Kidney05 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:38 pm

anyone know what drum machine(s) daft punk used in the new tron movie?

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: A new German poly monster, an old BBC Brit, a vintage poly beast from NY, someone's older relative from NC, and Eurolicious patchables.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:10 pm

Wow, thank you so much Micke for the Larry Fast info and quote - I love to read that kind of stuff. ;)
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: Mostly Human Music