The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Micke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:11 pm

Carlo Maria Cordio's score to Rosso Sangue is pretty cool indeed. The music was released on a promo record under the title "Absurd" back in the mid '80s but I have the feeling its hard to come by these days.
The tracks posted on youtube are from a bootleg I think.

I also like his score for Lucio Fulci's horror movie "Aenigma" (1987):

Scarface has a very good soundtrack but the original soundtrack album is such a poor representation of the instrumental score. It's a bit surprising
that the actual movie score still hasn't seen the light of day as a CD. The same can be said about Moroder's score for Midnight Express and
Faltermeyer's Beverly Hill's Cop I & II and Top Gun. Oh well.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

forcedopinion

Post by forcedopinion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 am

I've been on the hunt for Cordio's Rosse Sangue LP for years. Very difficult to find. I have a somewhat complete collection of cues I got from Cinemageddon a while ago but a lot of the tracks skip.

The Italian exploitationists had a habit of re-using scores and I've heard Cordio's Killing Birds score on multiple films. I wonder if he just recorded like 3 hours worth of music in 1987 for Filmirage to use on their productions for the following 5/6 years.

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:42 am

John Paul Jones did the soundtrack for a largely forgotten 1984 thriller called Scream For Help. A soundtrack album was released, but it wasn't of the main soundtrack itself. Rather it was of various pop songs and instrumental pieces Jones composed as background music for various scenes, heard coming out of radios and so forth. They included contributions from Jimmy Page, Madeline Bell, and Jon Anderson. Here a couple of the more electronic pieces.

Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:00 am

Director Shane Carruth did the music for his film UPSTREAM COLOR. Great film and very fitting music. Maybe nothing you'd want to listen to apart from the film but very effective as incidental music.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36 pm

There are two films that come to my mind but I can only vaguely recall their respective titles. One was called, I think, "Creeping Death" (at least the German title translates as that -- I´m sure the original title was different). It was about a small town in the mid-west of the USA where local police authorities find mutilated cattle. Quite an eerie film, with eerie music. Very electronic (ARP 2600?).

The other one I´ve never watched myself, but I seem to remember having listened to the OST CD album repeatedly (without ever getting round to buying it). It was a score by Craig Safan called "Warning Sign". Sounded like it had been performed entirely on a Synclavier 2 (at least that´s what I thought in 1990 or so).

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:39 pm

The first film score you're describing sounds like "Endangered Species" (1982).

I mentioned it on page 32 pf this thread.

"Endangered Species" (1982) - another long-forgotten movie with a decent synthesizer score by Gary "the Dreamweaver" Wright.

Here you can watch the whole movie:

Synthesizers & programming by Gary Wright and synth whiz Casey Young (who had previously done a lot of the synth-work
on Gary's solo album "The Right Place", 1981).

Says Casey: "Gary had his rig and i brought in mine as well . I programmed, played and co-wrote with him
A bunch of stuff was used on this soundtrack, The Mega moog . Moog 55 + a 15, Oberheim 4voice . Oberheim 8voice and my Emu modular .
Polymoog , Emulator 1 , Moog vocoder . Oberheim dmx , roland drum machine . All of them were in sync ."
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 pm

Marcello Giombini (R.I.P.) is one of my favorite Italian film composers. As a young man he was a church organist and later developed
a great passion for electronic music. In the early '70s he aquired a couple of ARP 2600's and an 'Eminent organ' (pretty sure it was a 310U!)
and would use them to great effect on many library records and film scores. He also had a RMI keyboard computer at some point and I
suspect it's the source for some of the church organ sounds that can be heard in his scores (though occasionally he did use a real pipe-organ).
In case you didn't know, Marcello was the father of Pierluigi Giombini, the famous Italo-disco composer (Gazebo et al.).

Here's a selection of Italian low-budget movies scored by Giombini (mostly thriller/horror, soft-p**n and sci-fi)

Knife of Ice (1972):

The flower with the deadly sting (1973):

The Eerie midnight horror show (1974):

Zelda (1974):

Waves of lust (1975):

Eyes behind the stars (1978):

Erotic Nights of the Living Dead (1979):

Antropophagus (1980):

La Bestia Nello Spazio (1980):

Esus

Post by Esus » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:43 pm

The Glass House (1972, TV movie). Based on the Truman Capote book. Alan Alda, Vic Morrow, Billy Dee Williams.
Composer, Billy Goldenburg:

Goldenburg is mostly known for TV episodics and MOWs during the 1970s. The score is pretty minimal, but still effective. A nice sequencer-driven cue at about 2:27. Too bad the trailer doesn't feature more.
A gritty look at prison life, with Morrow a truly evil character.

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Does anyone know if the soundtrack to the 1982 film Android actually exists ? Don Preston did the main theme.
yamoto773

tomorrowstops
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by tomorrowstops » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:19 am

Micke wrote:Marcello Giombini (R.I.P.) is one of my favorite Italian film composers. As a young man he was a church organist and later developed
a great passion for electronic music. In the early '70s he aquired a couple of ARP 2600's and an 'Eminent organ' (pretty sure it was a 310U!)
and would use them to great effect on many library records and film scores. He also had a RMI keyboard computer at some point and I
suspect it's the source for some of the church organ sounds that can be heard in his scores (though occasionally he did use a real pipe-organ).
In case you didn't know, Marcello was the father of Pierluigi Giombini, the famous Italo-disco composer (Gazebo et al.).

Here's a selection of Italian low-budget movies scored by Giombini (mostly thriller/horror, soft-p**n and sci-fi)

Knife of Ice (1972):

The flower with the deadly sting (1973):

The Eerie midnight horror show (1974):

Zelda (1974):

Waves of lust (1975):

Eyes behind the stars (1978):

Erotic Nights of the Living Dead (1979):

Antropophagus (1980):

La Bestia Nello Spazio (1980):
....and there goes my weekend!

thanks Micke!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:28 pm

bochelli wrote:Does anyone know if the soundtrack to the 1982 film Android actually exists ? Don Preston did the main theme.
I don't know if it's true but I've read somewhere that Don Preston's score for "Android" was released on an album called
"Android - The Soundtrack collection". I have never seen a copy of this LP for sale anywhere so it must be rare as hen's teeth.

You can watch the full movie here:

I really like Mr. Preston's score! Not sure how much he used his big custom Moog modular at the time (circa mid '82)
but I wouldn't be surprised if it saw some use on this score along with Minimoog and (possibly) Oberheim 8-voice or some
other poly-synth.

Walter Ego
Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Post by Walter Ego » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Micke wrote:
bochelli wrote:Does anyone know if the soundtrack to the 1982 film Android actually exists ? Don Preston did the main theme.
I don't know if it's true but I've read somewhere that Don Preston's score for "Android" was released on an album called
"Android - The Soundtrack collection". I have never seen a copy of this LP for sale anywhere so it must be rare as hen's teeth.

You can watch the full movie here:

I really like Mr. Preston's score! Not sure how much he used his big custom Moog modular at the time (circa mid '82)
but I wouldn't be surprised if it saw some use on this score along with Minimoog and (possibly) Oberheim 8-voice or some
other poly-synth.
It's a great score...too bad it's so sparse. It would be nice to have the whole thing if there were parts that didn't completely make it into the film...

I counted at least two (maybe three?) times when the boom mic very obviously fell into the shot. B Movie heaven...
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)

bochelli
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: minimoog polymoog memorymoog multimoog micromoog minitmoog and tons more.

Post by bochelli » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:06 pm

I often do worldwide online searches for Android Soundtrack , but as yet no luck, i think the film is too obscure to warrant a cd release , but the end credits track is online from their web page, Sergio Leone by the Fibonaccis is a cracker.
yamoto773

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:02 pm

I'm a big fan of Dan Wyman and I love his synth work on John Carpenter's '70s movies "Assault on Precinct 13", "Halloween" and "The Fog".

I also very much like his own electronic/orchestral scores to "Without Warning" (1980) and "h**l Night" (1981), none of which has seen
the light of day on LP or CD. The master tapes for the latter score still exist but afaik there are no plans to the release the music. :(

Both of the aforementioned Wyman scores feature the rare single-keyboard version of the Prophet 10 (he had two of them!) as well as the
Moog modular synthesizer.

Without Warning (1980) - Music by Dan Wyman:

Btw guys, here's an interesting - but all too short - article on the original Halloween soundtrack (with comments by Dan Wyman himself!):
http://cultureramp.com/killer-punk/ (while you're there, check out the other articles on Goblin and Brad Fiedel/Terminator).

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm

I was just told by Donald Rubinstein that his main title music from the Tales From the Darkside TV-series was
entirely performed on a Roland Juno-60!

I'd love to have an extended version of this haunting theme on CD.