The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by GuyaGuy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:20 am

Have we covered this yet? Sound track by Broadcast...

Pretty much exactly what I'd hoped--a non-horror film with the mood of a horror film, an homage to analog film making and analog sound design, an homage to the experimental period of recording associated with the BBC Radiophonic Workshop, an metaphor of sound studio as a witches' coven. The ending leaves just about everyone scratching their heads. I might have to re-watch this soon...

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 am

That looks really cool. The sounds in that trailer are nice too, though I've never been able to get into the Broadcast's songs.

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:56 am

Didn't see this one mentioned, unless I missed it..

XTRO (1983) - Directed and Scored by Harry Bromley Davenport.

The dreaded Xtro, Britain's 80s Video Nasty, comes bearing Black Magic from Deep Space! A wicked alien, Maryam d'Abo, an evil midget clown, a black panther and even a 1/16 radio-controlled Tamiya King Tiger tank make an appearance in this one.

I like this synth score. Davenport, much like Carpenter, scored his own film! I don't know what synths were used on it..

Audio probably recorded from the vinyl soundtrack:

Trailer:

SeventhStar
Gear: (Sequential Prophet 600, MULTI-TRAK & TOM), DARK STAR, Arturia Prophet V & Modular V, M-AUDIO Keystation 61es

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 am

MANIAC 2013 Remake:
Haven't seen the remake yet, but this track reminds me a little of the "Operation Daybreak" 1975 score:
Joe Spinell was perfect as the titular Maniac in the original! I think the original was already mentioned way back in this thread, but maybe not the remake.

MADMAN 1982 - Legend of Madman Marz Theme:
This movie creeped me out when I saw it back in 1982.. In the summer of 82, I had rented it on VHS, in place of Halloween II, which wouldn't track on the VCR I was playing it on, so I returned it and exchanged it for Madman. Ended up seeing HII sometime later..

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:43 am

Oh boy. Xtro looks great! The flute patch sounds a bit ARP to me.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:13 pm

SeventhStar wrote:Didn't see this one mentioned, unless I missed it..

XTRO (1983) - Directed and Scored by Harry Bromley Davenport.

The dreaded Xtro, Britain's 80s Video Nasty, comes bearing Black Magic from Deep Space! A wicked alien, Maryam d'Abo, an evil midget clown, a black panther and even a 1/16 radio-controlled Tamiya King Tiger tank make an appearance in this one.

I like this synth score. Davenport, much like Carpenter, scored his own film! I don't know what synths were used on it..

Audio probably recorded from the vinyl soundtrack:

Trailer:
Thanks for posting this one, I hadn't heard of this composer/film score before. The music sounds pretty cool though, a bit in the vein of John Scott's
synth-score for Inseminoid (1981).

Btw, I just noticed the Xtro score is available for download on itunes and it seems a commercial CD-R has been released as well.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 pm

SeventhStar wrote:
MADMAN 1982 - Legend of Madman Marz Theme:
This movie creeped me out when I saw it back in 1982.. In the summer of 82, I had rented it on VHS, in place of Halloween II, which wouldn't track on the VCR I was playing it on, so I returned it and exchanged it for Madman. Ended up seeing HII sometime later..
I read that the producer of MADMAN wants to release the music by Stephen Horelick and that the master tapes apparently exist in
good condition. Let's hope a CD will materialize in the near future.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

SeventhStar

Post by SeventhStar » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Micke wrote:
Thanks for posting this one, I hadn't heard of this composer/film score before. The music sounds pretty cool though, a bit in the vein of John Scott's
synth-score for Inseminoid (1981).

Btw, I just noticed the Xtro score is available for download on itunes and it seems a commercial CD-R has been released as well.
I had seen the score on iTunes as well. I'd like to get it on CD at some point.

Here is an interview with the Composer/Director. He cracks me up! I could hang out with him!! He talks a little about the score (at 5 min into the video), and states that he was trained as a classical pianist. He makes fun of the movie and its two "sequels" (related in name ONLY to the first film). He talks about how he and the crew were just eager to be making a film, period, when they did the first one. I have always day dreamed about making a movie, but he took action and made it happen! Even though he calls it a "mess", I think it came out kinda cool..

Three or four years ago he talked about doing a Fourth XTRO film, and wanting to make it more disturbing than the first one. So far, I don't think it has happened yet..

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 pm

The trailer for XTRO could just about be given an R rating itself.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 pm

This is one of my favorites:

Would love a breakdown of the gear used.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:16 am

Here's the full gearlist for Tangerine Dream's soundtrack to SORCERER (1977):

Edgar Froese – Fender Stratocaster & Gibson Les Paul Custom Guitars, Twin Keyboard Mellotron Mark V, Steinway Grand Piano, Oberheim Polyphonic Synthesizer, ARP Omni string synthesizer, PPG Synthesizer, Modified Moog synthesizer.
Christopher Franke – Moog modular synthesizer, Projekt Elektronik sequencer, Computerstudio Digital Sequencer, Mellotron, ARP Pro Soloist synthesizer, Elka String Synthesizer, Oberheim sequencer.
Peter Baumann – Projekt Elektronik Modular Synthesizer, Projekt Elektronik Sequencer, Fender Rhodes Piano, ARP Pro Soloist synthesizer, Mellotron.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack to the horror movie Damien: Omen II (1978) features some cool synthesizer work
along with orchestra and choir:

You can listen to the complete score here:

I'm not totally sure but I believe Jerry used his ARP 2500 and 2600 on this score just like he'd done in the earlier
movies Breakheart Pass (1975), Logan's Run (1976) and Damnation Alley (1977). I know that he
(or his son Joel) also had a Roland system 100 at some point in the latter half of the '70s but I've no idea on what
scores he may have used it.

Here's an unreleased suite from Damnation Alley which contains some sections with synths:

pelican

Post by pelican » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:35 am

Anyone know what synths Harry Manfedini used in the early Friday the 13th films?

pelican

Post by pelican » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:37 pm

Never mind. He told me

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Harry Manfredini mentions in the liner notes for the CD box set that "I found this really cool Korg synth that had multiple voices
and sample-and-hold elements that I incorporated into the score"
(he's talking about PART 2). He doesn't say what model it was
though.
He also mentions that "for PART 3 I aquired a Yamaha DX-7 and then a Yamaha CS-80" but this can't be right -at least not
where the DX-7 is concerned -because the music for PART 3 was recorded around the summer of '82, about one year prior
to the release of the DX-7 to the market. The DX-7 most likely debuted in PART 4 therefore (1984).

A Vako orchestron was used for the choir sounds in the first few films.

So what did Harry tell you?