The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Was this one already mentioned? Awesome music by the French band AIR:

Watch on youtube.com
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Postby Micke » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:55 pm

Micke wrote:Maurizio Guarini played the keys on Buio Omega and Contamination and as far as he can remember he used a Yamaha CS-80 for the 'pipe-organ' sounds,
at least on the latter score.

Original Goblin keyboardist Claudio Simonetti did however use a real church pipe organ, a huge 3-manual 50-stop Vincenzo Mascioni built in the early '50s, on a few
Goblin scores and albums eg "Deep Red" (1975), "Roller" (1976) and "Tenebre" (1982). The same Mascioni organ can also be heard on many '60s and '70s soundtracks
by the famous Italian film composer Ennio Morricone.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Micke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:11 pm

Carmine and Francis Ford Coppola's synthesizer score to the classic movie "Apocalypse Now" (1979) has already been mentioned a few times in
this thread, but it's so good it's worth mentioning again and again.

Watch on youtube.com

Here you can read (and download) Bob Moog's article on the making of the score (originally published in Contemporary Keyboard, January 1980):
http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1236 ... rack/57396

The article contains a few pics of some of the gear used on the score but they're rather small, however the large images at the bottom of the page
are just great, what an awesome synth-setup!
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Esus » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:21 pm

I've probably mentioned this before, but I had the opportunity to work with Shirley Walker several times in the late 70s to early 80s. An awesome player with incredible jazz chops, and one of the most genuine people on the planet.
She once told me when she was in the Bay Area, she met George Duke: "What a nice man!"

She left us way too early.
Esus

Postby Micke » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Here's a link shared by Milan records for full stream of the newly remastered/remixed Terminator score and an Interview with Fiedel about his career and the score:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/04/s ... erminator/

Enjoy!

P.S. To my surprise, Fiedel mentions in the interview that one of the synths used was an ARP 2600. I wonder if that's correct because I can't recall him
mentioning that synth in any of the emails I've received from him.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby mdannyg » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:15 am

Micke wrote:P.S. To my surprise, Fiedel mentions in the interview that one of the synths used was an ARP 2600. I wonder if that's correct because I can't recall him

Very interesting! I had never read that before either. That's kind of a specific synth to randomly mistakenly mention though.
mdannyg

Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Postby Micke » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:39 pm

mdannyg wrote:
Micke wrote:P.S. To my surprise, Fiedel mentions in the interview that one of the synths used was an ARP 2600. I wonder if that's correct because I can't recall him

Very interesting! I had never read that before either. That's kind of a specific synth to randomly mistakenly mention though.

I knew that Fiedel used a 2600 back in the '70s with Hall & Oates as well as on his score to "Apple Pie" (1975), however I don't think he used
one on Terminator (I might be wrong about that though).

Btw, the sound quality of the new Terminator CD is absolutely great!
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby mdannyg » Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:51 am

Micke wrote:
mdannyg wrote:
Micke wrote:Btw, the sound quality of the new Terminator CD is absolutely great!

Finally listened to it and agree. I like finding sounds i've never noticed before, although I don't know if it's because of the new version or just that I've never listened as closely before.
mdannyg

Gear: SCI Prophet 600, Novation Bass Station II, Roland Juno 6, Waldorf Microwave 1, Yamaha TX7, Korg Poly 800 mkII, Linndrum, SCI TOM

Postby Micke » Thu May 05, 2016 7:25 pm

Micke wrote:Need to correct a mistake....

The Hitchhiker 1983-1984 (Michel Rubini):
Watch on youtube.com

The eerie sounding opening music is by Paul Hoffert. The other music in this episode was composed by Michel Rubini, including the closing theme which is loosely based on the
original theme. From what I understand Hoffert did all the music for the 1st three pilot episodes of the show but after that Michel Rubini was brought in to score the show (episode
4 onwards). Hoffert's opening music continued to be used for the subsequent episodes though.

It sounds like Hoffert used analog synths for the most part when scoring the three pilot episodes. Rubini on the other hand used the Synclavier predominantly.

I recently learned that Paul Hoffert used the very rare McLeyvier computer-controlled analog synthesizer/workstation to score the first three episodes of
the TV-series Hitchhiker, including the opening music which was used in all episodes (even in the later ones scored by Michel Rubini and Shuki Levy).

Season 1 - 1st episode - Shattered Vows:

Watch on youtube.com

Season 1 - 2nd episode - When morning comes:

Watch on youtube.com

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby hageir » Tue May 10, 2016 3:05 pm

THIS is one of my all-time favorites, captures that rock+raw hard 80s attitude with a perfect mix of synths and tension :)
All the songs might seem strange at first glance, that's mainly because they're arranged to scenes from the film...
(so not your regular arrangements here)

Watch on youtube.com
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Postby Walter Ego » Tue May 10, 2016 3:05 pm

^^
Oh man. That's such a classic movie, too. I think it's been lost to some degree because it doesn't fit that John Hughes/Brat Pack vein, but I like it for its quirkiness and darker humor. And of course the great soundtrack.
Walter Ego
seamonkey wrote:I nominate this for STUPIDEST THREAD ever in the history of the internez. ;)
Walter Ego

Gear: Various noisemakers hidden around my home and classroom. And a great quantity of caffeine.
Band: 12"VS

Postby Micke » Thu May 19, 2016 6:24 pm

Can someone please remove this spammer!
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Virgule » Fri May 20, 2016 5:31 am

I always wondered what synth was playing for this scene... and thanks to this thread, I found it it was the McLevier. You can see it onscreen @ 0.42

Watch on youtube.com
Virgule

Postby Micke » Fri May 20, 2016 11:53 am

Cool!
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby forcedopinion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:24 pm

Micke, any idea what David Michael Frank used in the late 80's/early 90's for his action scores? Was it a Synclavier? Those heavy percussive bass sounds are fantastic.

Example at 2:17
forcedopinion

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers