The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: The great thread of electronic/synthesizer soundtracks

Post by Micke » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Anybody here able to identify this electronic piece from the BBC documentary In Search of the Dark ages (episode: In search of Boadicea, march 1980):

I just finished watching the whole series (8 episodes) and I can tell you it's crammed with analog synth goodness. I've managed to identify several tracks from each episode (some of which are repeated throughout the series), but there are other tracks that I don't recognize at all. Anyway, I'm absolutely certain I've heard the electronic piece in the clip above but I simply cannot find it. It might be a piece of library music but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Mon May 06, 2019 11:38 am

Hi Micke,
It's Walter Carlos' Timesteps

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Mon May 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Thank you very much virgule, well done!
I'll be darned, I had my suspicions that it could be Wendy and I listened to most of her '70s material, including the "Clockwork orange" ost, but I just couldn't find this piece.

EDIT: I just noticed that an excerpt from that section of Timesteps is used early in the episode as well, and yet another excerpt from the same track, the dark atmospheric one, is heard from 18:12 onwards. There's another omninous sounding piece just before that one but I haven't managed to identify it yet. The music at the end is from Vangeis' Spiral again; a brief segment of 'Ballad'. Other music heard in this episode (and others) are by Peter Howell, Tod Dockstader and Alan Hawkshaw.
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

Anaon
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender Classic Player 50, Yamaha LL16, Behringer Model D, Behringer VC340, Gforce Mtron...
Band: Spleen Arcana

Post by Anaon » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:44 pm

Hi!

Not sure where to ask this... I am searching for the synth used for the Shining Dies Irae opening theme? Anyone knows?

Many thanks
My homemade prog rock : http://www.spleenarcana.com/

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Yeah, that's a big Moog modular synthesizer.

Anaon
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender Classic Player 50, Yamaha LL16, Behringer Model D, Behringer VC340, Gforce Mtron...
Band: Spleen Arcana

Post by Anaon » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:51 am

Ok thank you Micke :thumbsup:

So a Minimoog should do the trick I suppose...
My homemade prog rock : http://www.spleenarcana.com/