I finally got a JP-8000!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

I finally got a JP-8000!

Post by Alex E » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:55 am

Ah yes, I just paid for it tonight with paypal, and the payment has been accepted. About $460 shipped. Good deal from a nice guy on Craigslist who is in a band called Tiny Whales.

Now, it's not in perfect shape because it has been on the road. On some corners, the sparkly blue paint [?] has worn off, and the right output works but is a little scratchy. If anybody knows how to touch up a JP8k that would be useful information to me...

But whatever, it's still a JP-8000! I finally have bought my dream synth. It just needs to be shipped now. I was tempted to get an SH-201, because it's similar, it costs about the same, and seems to be easier to find, but I bit my tongue and waited for a JP8k because I wanted something truly professional.

A world of huge supersaws and hours of tweaking awaits.

But the catch is:

1. This is all I get for xmas from my parents. They're not being cheap, it's just expensive.

2. Any christmas money I get has to go into this purchase.

3. I only have one day to "test" it before I have to hand it over and wait until Christmas day to play it again. :cry:

But the bottom line is well... My quest for a JP8k is over. Phew...
soundcloud.com/vectron

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:14 am

Congrats. I've always wanted to try a JP-8000 or an 8080. And personnally, I'd take it any day over the SH-201. One day to test it - that could take 23.5 hours easily.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:25 am

I just got a Root Beer float!!!

I had a JP-8000 up until a few months ago. Pretty good synth but I never really got into it, I preferred the MS-2000 over it. I hate the paint job it has and it didn't have the solid build the MS-2000 has to it. The super saw is cool. Sold it for $420.

I tried out the SH-201 last week for about 20-30 minutes. Not a whole lot love for it. I think I like the sound of the SH-101 I have more but would like to try an SH-2 sometime. I keep seeing the 201 pop up on craigslist left and right.

Glad you found your dream synth. Sometimes I am tempted to try and get a hold of the 8080 but neh. That's cool then sucks that it will be under a tree for a month. :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:44 am

I only have one day to "test" it before I have to hand it over and wait until Christmas day to play it again.
Just wondering, what is up with that? On who's behalf are you going to not use it for a month? I'm just thinking if it's there it's there, and unless you have some kind of religious/traditional thing stopping you from being practical about the matter you should enjoy it when it arrives.
Maybe my being a heathen has something to do with it, but when I find something useful, I use it when I find it.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Re: I finally got a JP-8000!

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:49 am

Because baby jesus says so.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:12 am

Congrats, Alex! I had one a number of years ago and enjoyed it very much. Wish I could remember more about it, but I do remember that I felt it was very well laid out and easy to get around on. Was nice to see at that point in time.

Laff all you want, but I'd like to A/B one with the SH201. Just for kicks.

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:14 am

Okay then, I guess I better not have the crusades or the inquisition coming after my a*s. It's just not worth it. I'm already hiding out from Mohamed because I named my teddy bear after him. Apparently I've got some whippings coming to me. It ain't easy being a lowlife! :twisted:
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

jp8080

Re: I finally got a JP-8000!

Post by jp8080 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:11 am

Alex E wrote: But whatever, it's still a JP-8000!
congrats!

the jp80x0 is a great synth. way better than getting the 201.

as usual, ignore the factory patches. they suck and show nearly zero of the yummy supersaw goodness.

the more i play with the jp, ms2000, an1x and lead the more i really appreciate the early VAs.

great keyboard to just play for the fun of it too. mmm... ribbon controller

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:13 am

I think the JP-8080 took me less time than any other synth to know that I liked it. First time running I loaded up a preset, started tweaking at random to test functionality, and every change I made took it in a new direction that still sounded great. A particularly stupid monkey could whip up a great lead sound on that thing.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:51 pm

Congratulations! I was actually considering the JP as my first synth before I had bought my Ion. If I had money I'd still like to get a JP one of these days. You'll have to make videos and sound samples day after Christmas. :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:01 pm

theotherleadingbrand wrote:Okay then, I guess I better not have the crusades or the inquisition coming after my a*s. It's just not worth it. I'm already hiding out from Mohamed because I named my teddy bear after him. Apparently I've got some whippings coming to me. It ain't easy being a lowlife! :twisted:
I guess that's why sequential never made a prophet mohamed.
Roland Vp330 mk1.SH101.juno 6.OSCar.ARP odyssey..Tonus 2600..omni.
ms20/50. OBX.
Prophet 5
Wasp.EMS AKS.

philbar
Gear: Roland Sh-2
Access Virus Ti Polar
Roland Tr-606
Korg Micro-x
Akai MPC 1000

Post by philbar » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:06 am

Jp-80x0s are ok. Way better than the SH-201. really not in the same league as a number of more modern VA's.

enjoy.

Access Virus Ti Polar + Ableton Live

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:35 am

It is getting very old VA-wise, so in terms of "analog recreation" it isn't the best..but it sounds nice enough. I've played one quite alot at a friend's place. It is far surpassed by newer VA synths now, but still kicks a*s in its own way. It's not on my wanted list, but I'm quite spoiled with real analogue stuff (and digitals) in my own way, so don't listen to me :P

For some reason, the best preset, Chariots, always pops up when you turn it on. It's like the Chariots of Fire opening with a repeating stabbing saw sound, and the slow brass sound on top.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:22 am

Yeah it's not quite as powerful as some other VA's but it still melts faces. :wink:
soundcloud.com/vectron

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:44 pm

Does the the jp8000 have a vocoder, or is that only on the jp8080?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.