The Blofeld Site Is Up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:15 pm

Dr Evil is a satirical portryal of Blofeld the villian in such movies as You only live twice. There were 3 Blofelds, Donald Pleasence to me is the one Dr Evil is the most like.
Following with the James Bond theme Waldorf also has a new synth called Stromberg. Stromberg was the villian in the Spy Who Loved Me.

At least Waldorf has taken to give their new synths names instead of a letter followed by a number...

Now repeat after me.."the Blofeld front page is cool and not at all lame"
if not....please have a seat at the end of the table. :twisted:

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:01 am

No! It's lame. Just as lame as their websites design. Food fight food fight! *flicks the lights on and off*

Anyone order one yet?
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:49 am

RobotHeroes wrote:No! It's lame. Just as lame as their websites design. Food fight food fight! *flicks the lights on and off*

Anyone order one yet?

AHHHHH!

I just tried to access your website to have a listen. The inital joke was quite funny-making my browser shoot all over the screen whilst playing Rick Astley. Again when I tried to close the tab-initially quite funny messaging-but then you had to force me through a continuation of 20 or so pop-ups of EACH WITH A SEPARATE LINE FROM RICK ASTLEY 'NEVER GONNA GIVE YOU UP!'

I dont know whether to laugh or cry-I feel traumatised following that experience.

NUTTER

;)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:33 am

RobotHeroes wrote: Anyone order one yet?
A few of us have...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:45 am

as one who has always wanted to dip a toe into the world of waldorf--and who is fascinated with the old ppg gear--does this seem like the best solution? from what i've read it's a smorgasbord of waldorf sounds, but perhaps i'm missing the finer points of distincion between the various whale village synths?

like analog filters, perhaps? are these an add-on option with the blofeld, or jsut the stromberg?

please don't let the filter question distract from the larger question at hand in the first paragraph....

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:56 am

JSRockit wrote:
RobotHeroes wrote: Anyone order one yet?
A few of us have...
you ordered one? does it have an internal sequencer?

har har i will take my comments off the air
god elton can't you suck

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:52 am

carbon111 wrote:The XT's filters are wonderful! Plus, because of its audio input, you can route external audio through them :D
I'm thinking to get the Blofeld, but will always keep the XT for the very same reason.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:08 pm

mome rath wrote:
you ordered one? does it have an internal sequencer?

har har i will take my comments off the air
Yeah, I ordered one... no internal sequencer...but a programmable arp. I will sequence it with my Monomachine or MDUW most likely.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:02 pm

code green wrote:as one who has always wanted to dip a toe into the world of waldorf--and who is fascinated with the old ppg gear--does this seem like the best solution? from what i've read it's a smorgasbord of waldorf sounds, but perhaps i'm missing the finer points of distincion between the various whale village synths?

like analog filters, perhaps? are these an add-on option with the blofeld, or jsut the stromberg?

please don't let the filter question distract from the larger question at hand in the first paragraph....
To me the answer is "yes" and although I already have a Micro-Q and Microwave II I plan to get a Blofeld.

There's an interview with Wolfram Franke of Waldorf from 2001 where he describes his attention to detail when creating PPG 2.V in getting as close as possible to the original (2.2 & 2.3) PPGs when making the PPG filter model and envelopes. I know the Blofeld isn't necessarily the same as the 2.v software but knowing that Wolfram Franke was involved in designing the Blofeld along with knowing that all the PPG wavetables are included in the Blofeld while also factoring in the convenience, reliability & price advantages of the Blofeld I am sold on it being a great way to get the Waldorf vibe all in one synth as well as being a modern day PPG Wave.

CTB

Post by CTB » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:14 pm

insky wrote:Anybody else think the Bloefeld [sic] front page is lame?
Not at all. I think it's refreshing to see a company with a sense of humor, even making fun of themselves with the silly German accent in the text.
CTB

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:27 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen this explicitly stated: will the Blofeld have the wavetable modulation that many Waldorf synths are known for?

Do all Waldorfs have this or is the Q/uQ missing wavetable modulation? I thought I understood the main differences between the Waldorfs but now I'm second guessing myself. :lol:

sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:15 pm

i just want the Dorf--or a dealer--to post a .pdf file of Blofeld's manual soon. I have this thing about viewing manuals b4 I buy. :D

Also I looked at Sweetwater, and noticed the list on Micro-Q Phoenix is nearly $1,100, and they're being sold for $699, while Blofeld's list is $799, and it's only going for a $100 less ($699, this is the price of other dealers like AH and NM).

Anyone sense some disparity here? :?
twentyfirst century fizMO man

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:34 pm

disparity? no

is list a made up BS number? yes.

will the blofeld go down in price eventually? maybe.

i remember guitar center blowing out micro q's for 200 bucks a good while ago, its all about timing.

im starting to think that this synth makes owning a micro q a little silly.

sequence

Post by sequence » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:46 pm

synapsecollapse wrote:im starting to think that this synth makes owning a micro q a little silly.
I too as well, unless I *really* need that MIDI Out... :lol:
twentyfirst century fizMO man

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:49 pm

wilsontherocker wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't seen this explicitly stated: will the Blofeld have the wavetable modulation that many Waldorf synths are known for?

Do all Waldorfs have this or is the Q/uQ missing wavetable modulation? I thought I understood the main differences between the Waldorfs but now I'm second guessing myself. :lol:
"The Blofeld wavetables are all filled the way they did in the original Q/mQ way and the MW II way. But because they are interpoleted way smoother then on the MW II and the PPG waves, these have 128 points in the wavetable accessable from the PW knob. But you can modulate it even more in detail with all those available mod matrix sources or the PWM sources in the oscillator menu." -Till Kopper via Harmony Central forums.