The Blofeld Site Is Up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:25 am

SWAN wrote:AHHHHH!

I just tried to access your website to have a listen. The inital joke was quite funny-making my browser shoot all over the screen whilst playing Rick Astley. Again when I tried to close the tab-initially quite funny messaging-but then you had to force me through a continuation of 20 or so pop-ups...
You're lucky, I clicked on Robotheroes weblink at work. I discovered just how fast I could find the volume knob on my speakers.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:32 am

wilsontherocker wrote: Do all Waldorfs have this or is the Q/uQ missing wavetable modulation? I thought I understood the main differences between the Waldorfs but now I'm second guessing myself. :lol:
The Pulse and Attack/Rack Attack don't have wavetable scanning but the rest of their synths do, including the Q/u-Q.
Its a bit of a trademark...not a lot of hardware wavetable synths out there so Waldorf is like a breath of fresh air in the ocean of VAs and romplers 8)

I probably won't be able to pick up a Blofeld until I get back from NAMM so I'll probably have a longer wait than a lot of you. ;)
Best Regards, James
--

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Hurrah! Good to see the bastards not keeping you down Carbon.

This calls for another stupid wavetable question...

Is it possible not to sweep through the wavetable and just use one part of the table as a basic rom oscillator? And if you do sweep; are you stuck sweeping either backwards, forwards or via lfo etc or can you have more control over which parts get scanned?

Am I way off track?

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:31 pm

Is there any drum maps in the Blofeld?
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:34 pm

Arddhu wrote: Is it possible not to sweep through the wavetable and just use one part of the table as a basic rom oscillator?
You bet. Just don't apply any modulation but use the "startwave" parameter to choose the wave you want.
And if you do sweep; are you stuck sweeping either backwards, forwards or via lfo etc or can you have more control over which parts get scanned?
There's a multistage envelope thats well suited for the job but you don't have to use an envelope - you can use a random LFO, keytrack, the Modwheel or whatever modulator you like. You can also mathematically process any modulator in a variety of ways before applying it to wavetable position.
Best Regards, James
--

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:41 pm

Hmmmm. Mighty interesting!
But does it do a good piano?

:P

SWAN

Post by SWAN » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 pm

carbon111 wrote:
SWAN wrote:AHHHHH!

I just tried to access your website to have a listen. The inital joke was quite funny-making my browser shoot all over the screen whilst playing Rick Astley. Again when I tried to close the tab-initially quite funny messaging-but then you had to force me through a continuation of 20 or so pop-ups...
You're lucky, I clicked on Robotheroes weblink at work. I discovered just how fast I could find the volume knob on my speakers.
The professional shame of Rick Astley on the speakers in the workplace....lol

sequence

synth-top as opposed to table-top?

Post by sequence » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:30 pm

I cant bloody believe Im actually scouting real estate and plug space for IBB (Itty Bitty Blofeld) and LO! :shock: I discovr its f**k small enough to perch atop FiZmO! :D agh praise be! :lol: s**t Fizzy'd hold 2 of em!

wow. talk about a dig sound designer's 1-2 punch, and add an Evolver in the equation... 8)

And yes James dont let the feckers get U down. Fervent nationalists have more civil discourse than some of the synth heads here
twentyfirst century fizMO man

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 am

FWIW, I don't really have a problem with T7 at all (as long as he's not breaking my balls ;)). I'd probably buy him a beer and talk about synths with him if he was in town :)

There's just a ton of synth-related stuff as well as some other stress I'm having to deal with outside of the forums in RL and I've got a rather short fuse at the moment...all apologies.

Plus, it looks like I'm going to NAMM this year so I'll be sure to do an in-depth when I return. More on that score soon...
Best Regards, James
--

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:13 am

carbon111 wrote:FWIW, I don't really have a problem with T7 at all (as long as he's not breaking my balls ;)). I'd probably buy him a beer and talk about synths with him if he was in town :)
Sorry for getting carried away. Likewise on the beer, thanks!
carbon111 wrote:There's just a ton of synth-related stuff as well as some other stress I'm having to deal with outside of the forums in RL and I've got a rather short fuse at the moment...all apologies.
I feel you on that one. We're in the same boat.

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:22 am

Did someone say beer and synths? two of my favorite things besides my lovely wifey who has been so patient over the years with my gear addiction. :D

Good to see you back James. The content of your post made me think you had other things going on outside of here.

I'm trying to figure out a way of dropping a hint about the Blofeld to my wife since I just got a Yamaha AN1X off of ebay. :lol:

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:11 am

fuzzy warm feelings suddenly awash I am! :D :D :D :D :D :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

felis

Post by felis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:00 am

I think the Blofeld is going to be a mighty fine little synth.

But I do pretty much agree with T7.

I don't like to see manufacturers add extra software goodies, only to skimp on the hardware.
Most of the software work was already done with the microQ and XT. They just had to design a new case/display for it.
There isn't much hardware there to begin with and I think for the price, it probably should have an extra pair of outs, full midi ports, and maybe even an audio in.
Several other manufacturers have done it.

Of course, we've got to cut Waldorf a little slack, to allow them to get back on their feet, but I hopeit doesn't turn into a trend.

But it's going to be a good synth, and I'll probably end up getting one.

DavidRyle

Post by DavidRyle » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:04 am

Since I've had mine on pre-order, I check the vendor sites at least twice a day to see if the bugger is shipped yet.

I for one will treasure this little beast because of it being the closest thing to a PPG Wave I'll ever get to touch (probably). The Waldorf PPG 2.V is the next best thing with the upper wave tables. What a no-brainer of a value.

As far as the Radias doing what this will do? ...I don't think so. The Radias is a great synth and a classic in it's own rights but it ain't no Waldorf. Hats off to Korg for mastering the non-aliasing sound with the Radias, R3 and M3, but there is something about the way a Waldorf handles wavetable manipulation that sets it apart from everything else on the market. The Mod matrix is outstanding too and hard to beat.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 am

Dano, thanks for your thoughtful reply.

James, good to see you back.

DavidRyle, that was good stuff...along with some other posts here, including Dano's, helped me realize that i am, in fact, suffering from my first full-fledged case of GAS in a long time.

what to sell, what to sell?