The Blofeld Site Is Up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nigel

Post by nigel » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:25 am

i want this....!!

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

DavidRyle wrote: As far as the Radias doing what this will do? ...I don't think so. The Radias is a great synth and a classic in it's own rights but it ain't no Waldorf. Hats off to Korg for mastering the non-aliasing sound with the Radias, R3 and M3, but there is something about the way a Waldorf handles wavetable manipulation that sets it apart from everything else on the market.
I never said that the Blofeld was like a Radias, just that the demos on Waldorf's website reminded me of the Radias :wink:

It was more a comment about the demos than the Blofeld itself. These are of course different synths.

Anyone using it already ? What about the operating system ? Is it mature ? And the screen ? Does it have a fast refreshing rate ? Can we see it clearly in the dark ?

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:28 pm

DavidRyle wrote: I for one will treasure this little beast because of it being the closest thing to a PPG Wave I'll ever get to touch (probably). The Waldorf PPG 2.V is the next best thing with the upper wave tables. What a no-brainer of a value.
Precisely! :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

DavidRyle

Post by DavidRyle » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:18 pm

"Anyone using it already ? What about the operating system ? Is it mature ? And the screen ? Does it have a fast refreshing rate ? Can we see it clearly in the dark ?"

See this video. (Hopefully your German is good).

--------

BTW I meant no disrespect. Your point of the Radias creating anything you have heard on the Blofeld demo is taken just for what it is. Until you actually use a Waldorf and hear the clarity and body, then it is very difficult to quantify. The new Korgs are the same. I was completely unprepared for how good the little R3 sounded. What a great synth! I love Korg's and Waldorf's about the same. Both are sweet.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:02 pm

Check out this demo of wavetable goodness from Boele via the Waldorf list! It's his Hammond Novachord emulation:

http://www.synthmusic.info/mp3s/blovachord.mp3

"Specially in the low regions of the keyboard is getting so darn good!
And remember, this is a bare Blofeld. No FX, no compressing/limiting
or whatever. Pure Waldorf!
It's modulated wavetable stuff, it's nice filters in series, it's
Waldorf! I mean, play one of Stefan's teasers after this one and you
understand the enormous amount of sounds possible with this white
thingy!

Boele"

Wow!

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:40 pm

Goddamn! Already owning an XT makes it hard to justify this purchase, but goddamn!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:05 pm

T7 wrote:Check out this demo of wavetable goodness from Boele via the Waldorf list! It's his Hammond Novachord emulation:

"Specially in the low regions of the keyboard is getting so darn good!
And remember, this is a bare Blofeld. No FX, no compressing/limiting
or whatever. Pure Waldorf!
It's modulated wavetable stuff, it's nice filters in series, it's
Waldorf! I mean, play one of Stefan's teasers after this one and you
understand the enormous amount of sounds possible with this white
thingy!

Boele"

Wow!
oooh...now that's nice. real nice.

severen

Post by severen » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:37 am

welcome back carbon.
you are my wavetable teacher :)

T7 wrote:Check out this demo of wavetable goodness from Boele via the Waldorf list! It's his Hammond Novachord emulation:

great!!!!!

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:33 pm

T7 wrote:"The Blofeld wavetables are all filled the way they did in the original Q/mQ way and the MW II way. But because they are interpoleted way smoother then on the MW II and the PPG waves, these have 128 points in the wavetable accessable from the PW knob. But you can modulate it even more in detail with all those available mod matrix sources or the PWM sources in the oscillator menu." -Till Kopper via Harmony Central forums.
Thanks, duder. That helps.
carbon111 wrote:The Pulse and Attack/Rack Attack don't have wavetable scanning but the rest of their synths do, including the Q/u-Q.
Its a bit of a trademark...not a lot of hardware wavetable synths out there so Waldorf is like a breath of fresh air in the ocean of VAs and romplers 8) .
Ah-ha! I did not know that about the Q/uQ. It's orginal VA marketing really threw me off the mark. I'd long written it off as Waldorf's addition to the VA market, albeit with Waldorf-ian flair. Shame on me I suppose. Thanks for clearing this up for me! (And I'd have been very surprised if the Pulse had wavetable scanning ;) .)

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:23 pm

Entropy Farmer wrote:Goddamn! Already owning an XT makes it hard to justify this purchase, but goddamn!
Already owning a MW II and a Micro-Q makes it hard to justify this purchase, but I don't think I can resist!

DocT

Post by DocT » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:41 pm

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/blotch.mp3

Just a few sounds. Stylus drums.

F5D

Post by F5D » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:13 pm

I'm just wondering what the typical polyphony of the blofeld is when using the wavetable oscillators, distortions and some modulations without unison?

edit. Well, who cares... I just ordered one. :lol: 8)
F5D @ SoundCloud, futuresounddesign.com - sounds for your synthesizers

DavidRyle

Post by DavidRyle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:03 am

Dano wrote: Already owning a MW II and a Micro-Q makes it hard to justify this purchase, but I don't think I can resist!
Regardless of my pile of synths (past, present and future) one of these will be in my inventory. It is just too sweet. The Stromberg will be the sh*t. It will probably be capable of wavetable design too. (Just a guess) That will be my next savings plan.
Arp Axxe, VirusTI, Lead2X, R3, MicroQ Phoenix, PSR-510, MicroWaveXT, PAIA P4700J, Blofeld, Prophet 08, tons of VST synths, MacOSX, Cubase 4
http://www.viewfromearth.com

DavidRyle

Post by DavidRyle » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:18 am

DocT wrote:http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/blotch.mp3

Just a few sounds. Stylus drums.
Righteous dude! We are going to be way behind you on tapping the features on this thing. You seem to be doing well with squeezing out the best of the sounds on that little white firecracker.
Arp Axxe, VirusTI, Lead2X, R3, MicroQ Phoenix, PSR-510, MicroWaveXT, PAIA P4700J, Blofeld, Prophet 08, tons of VST synths, MacOSX, Cubase 4
http://www.viewfromearth.com

Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:55 am

Dammnit, no audio over USB2.

I'll get a MicroQ instead.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128