The Blofeld Site Is Up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Andy_X69
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 am

Entropy Farmer wrote:
DisasterArea wrote:And no, it's not shitty,
Multiple timbres coming out of the same outs is shitty in an absolute sense. You can't run them through separate external EQ or FX. You have to track each timbre separately to achieve this, which renders the source effectively monotimbral if you have any sort of production standards.
it just means that this is not a machine built for you because you place that aspect higher in priority than those who think the thing is cool enough as is and will work withn it's limitations.
Don't give me that unthinking zombie fanboy bullshit. I explain why a single stereo out sucks in response to you asking why it's a problem and then get people tsk tsking at me for it. You asked why it's a bottleneck and I TOLD YOU. It is not necessary to respond to any negative criticism by painting a LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT false dichotomy, especially when you're the one who asked for the damn criticism in the first place! We're big men here wearing the big men pants - we should be able to tolerate differing viewpoints without engaging in j**k cliquey stone-the-non-believer behavior.

I like the Blofeld fine, and want one. Never said I didn't. Never complained about the feature/price ratio. I did not ask for the addition of a second stereo pair, nor did I ask for such an upgrade for free. I know that additional features raise the price. I know this because I am not retarded.
I was simply suggesting that having this feature standard on a synth of this ilk tends to push it past the $1000 mark e. g. monomachine.
Do you honestly think a second stereo out would raise the price $300?
I second the above. Blofeld needs more outputs. And ideally some inputs.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:04 pm

my thoughts on the stereo out is that you can do your midi programing and adjust volume levels before you record the tracks individually. that way the multi-timbrality is still useful.

its weird the expectations that people have for the lightweight synth of the 2 releases, im going to be hoping that the Stromberg will successfully replace my XT, the micro q that i already got rid of and then some :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:31 pm

Sure it would be nice if the Blofeld had audio ins or more outputs but I don't think anyone can complain for the price.

What else out there can you compare it to?

felis

Post by felis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Sure it would be nice if the Blofeld had audio ins or more outputs but I don't think anyone can complain for the price.

Radias rack, Ion/Micron, and Evolver. for starters.

Different methods of synthesis - yes, but we're talking hardware features, right?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:44 pm

felis wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Sure it would be nice if the Blofeld had audio ins or more outputs but I don't think anyone can complain for the price.

Different methods of synthesis - yes, but we're talking hardware features, right?
Hardware features as far as inputs and multiple outputs for multitimbrality. They may all have inputs but the Radias is the only one which has any additional outputs, and then it's just a second pair.

The Radias is only 4 part multitimbral, same with the Ion and Micron although they're not even really multitimbral as you have to use keyboard splits to access the other timbres and can't use the same note on two timbres, even if they're on seperate midi channels.

The Evolver is monophonic.

You can compare them sure, but the Blofeld looks pretty good with up to 50 voice polyphony and 16 part multitimbrality. It really depends on what you want to use it for.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:36 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
You can compare them sure, but the Blofeld looks pretty good with up to 50 voice polyphony and 16 part multitimbrality. It really depends on what you want to use it for.
It'll work fine for multitracking in the studio...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

softroom

Post by softroom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
The Radias is only 4 part multitimbral, same with the Ion and Micron although they're not even really multitimbral as you have to use keyboard splits to access the other timbres and can't use the same note on two timbres, even if they're on seperate midi channels.
Not so. Put parts on separate MIDI channels and they work exactly as they should. Maybe you're getting confused by the control aspects of the included keyboards?
The Radias, in particular, is delightful when used multitimbrally. Each of its patches contains 4 parts as you say, for which you can specify the MIDI channel differently in every patch - plus it has effects for each part. Would probably go very nicely with a Blofeld.

felis

Post by felis » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:25 pm

The Micron only has 2 outs, but its got an audio in and a keyboard.
The Ion has 4 outs, as well as an audio in.

I'm looking forward to the Blofeld - just sayin'. 8)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:11 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:

I believe the specs for it are up to 25 voices. I know Matrixsynth had a picture someone posted of a blofeld box which had been misprinted on the outside to read 50 voices.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:05 pm

felis wrote:

Stab did say 'for the price' and in the UK, the Blofeld is just under £300. The others are:

Radias Rack - £650
Ion/Micron - £390/£240
Evolver - £350+
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Must say this thing does look like it was designed to look tidy against an Elektron. 8)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:38 pm

I can't believe people complain about something like this, that is cheap, and isn't released by the big three... it doesn't make sense.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

kaffekick

Post by kaffekick » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:43 pm

JSRockit wrote:I can't believe people complain about something like this, that is cheap, and isn't released by the big three... it doesn't make sense.
+1

Besides... You won't get this sound, features or hardware quality from any other box for this price.
Gear: Yamaha Electone B-405

crufty

Post by crufty » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 pm

no complaints here. just waiting for them to show up!

actuel

Post by actuel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:01 pm

crufty wrote:no complaints here. just waiting for them to show up!
same