Page 3 of 21

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:53 am
by insky
GeneralBigbag wrote:=> It's probably going to do some neat stuff that is beyond the Blofeld
Like analog filters?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 am
by synapsecollapse
im hoping a blofield rack is to eventually become reality, for less thaN 3500. i dont think the only extras on it will be analog filters, since they are an optional add on.

I think the USD conversion rates are going to f the new waldorf prices for me for a while, as ill be in school full time for at least the next few years, but this stuff all looks so damn exciting.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:33 pm
by JSRockit
synapsecollapse wrote:im hoping a blofield rack is to eventually become reality...
Why?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:49 pm
by CTB
synapsecollapse wrote:im hoping a blofield rack is to eventually become reality, for less thaN 3500.
I assume you meant Stromberg and not Blofeld.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:25 pm
by GeneralBigbag
insky wrote:
GeneralBigbag wrote:=> It's probably going to do some neat stuff that is beyond the Blofeld
Like analog filters?
I think those have their own price-tag

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:58 pm
by T7
Something occurred to me which I find really disappointing about the Blofeld: No MIDI out. This means I can't record knob automation into my hardware sequencer from the Blofeld's knobs. I suppose this can be overcome with a MIDI controller.

What I really don't like is this: my MIDI controller will not see any parameter changes made from the Blofelds knobs. Even my $100. FilterFactory can do this.

Yes I'm griping, but this trend of manufacturers omitting MIDI ports from gear these days, is starting to piss me off. It's a lame trend at best.

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:03 pm
by Chaorta
As someone who's owned a micro q and an XT, and who worked for Waldorf briefly, i can only say "holy s**t."

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:42 pm
by GeneralBigbag
T7 wrote:Something occurred to me which I find really disappointing about the Blofeld: No MIDI out.
What's the USB for then?

Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:44 pm
by T7
GeneralBigbag wrote:
T7 wrote:Something occurred to me which I find really disappointing about the Blofeld: No MIDI out.
What's the USB for then?
For folks, unlike myself, who like to live in the box. :roll:
I use hardware live and in the studio. Anyone who defends this trend toward USB MIDI only, is a fool.

What were Waldorf thinking? They make a monster synth in a tiny package, with practically no knobs, then make it necessary to connect the thing to a computer in order to control it properly. :oops:

Don't get me wrong, I'm still buying one, but god damn it, that pisses me off! :wink:

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:35 am
by carbon111
Now comes the peanut gallery and nitpicking. :D

<rant>

It dosen't have an audio input or user editable wavetables either but I'm not going to whine about it...especially at $600 street :P

The only time I will ever use the damn USB port is to update the OS. If you want to control the bastard while you''re playing, use some controllers on your controller keyboard!

Its a very cheap, tiny, powerful-sounding wavetable synth with a nice selection of filters. If you don't f**k like it, vote with your dollars and get something else - manufacturers notice these things. If you like it but want more features, like audio in, more MIDI connections, user wavetables, XT filters, etc. - save up for a Stromberg. ;)

All anybody ever does is complain about what something dosent do...and its not even out yet. :roll:

The Minimoog dosen't have a dedicated LFO, only ASR EGs, no oscillator sync and no patch memory but some people like it and hardly anybody pisses and moans about it. Imagine! :shock:

</rant>

...now I feel better ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:48 am
by Hugo76
Yeah, I noticed no midi out also; I would love to see it in the Blofeld, but as carbon111 says - who can complain at this price ;)

I'll be using it in conjunction with my rs7000 primarily, and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to set up its controllers to send sysex to the Blofeld.
Ahhhhh, can't wait to get my hands on it... ahhhh.... :D

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:24 am
by carbon111
Hugo76 wrote:Yeah, I noticed no midi out also; I would love to see it in the Blofeld, but as carbon111 says - who can complain at this price ;)

I'll be using it in conjunction with my rs7000 primarily, and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle to set up its controllers to send sysex to the Blofeld.
Ahhhhh, can't wait to get my hands on it... ahhhh.... :D
If the Blofeld is anything like other Waldorf synths, most parameters will already be mapped to MIDI CCs for easy control that dosen't clog the MIDI stream like sysex does. Wish more companys did that! ;)

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:36 am
by T7
carbon111 wrote:Now comes the peanut gallery and nitpicking. :D

<rant>

It dosen't have an audio input or user editable wavetables either but I'm not going to whine about it...especially at $600 street :P

The only time I will ever use the damn USB port is to update the OS. If you want to control the bastard while you''re playing, use some controllers on your controller keyboard!

Its a very cheap, tiny, powerful-sounding wavetable synth with a nice selection of filters. If you don't f**k like it, vote with your dollars and get something else - manufacturers notice these things. If you like it but want more features, like audio in, more MIDI connections, user wavetables, XT filters, etc. - save up for a Stromberg. ;)

All anybody ever does is complain about what something dosent do...and its not even out yet. :roll:

The Minimoog dosen't have a dedicated LFO, only ASR EGs, no oscillator sync and no patch memory but some people like it and hardly anybody pisses and moans about it. Imagine! :shock:

</rant>

...now I feel better ;)
Wow :lol:

A MIDI out is not something one should have to pay a premium for. The Moog LP has most of the options you mentioned in regards to the Mini. The Blofeld is a 21st century digital synth. No MIDI DIN out? Don't be such a Fanboy. :wink:

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:41 am
by Hugo76
carbon111 wrote: If the Blofeld is anything like other Waldorf synths, most parameters will already be mapped to MIDI CCs for easy control that dosen't clog the MIDI stream like sysex does. Wish more companys did that! ;)
Awesome... awesome to the max :D

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:46 am
by Hugo76
T7 wrote:Wow :lol:

A MIDI out is not something one should have to pay a premium for. The Moog LP has most of the options you mentioned in regards to the Mini. The Blofeld is a 21st century digital synth. No MIDI DIN out? Don't be such a Fanboy. :wink:
I don't see this as a big problem. Rather, when you think about it, the Blofeld *is* a selfcontained unit. Just look at other companies; every single one of them would require a connection to a computer in order to do serious editing. For instance the mc808 - much more expensive, and very difficult to use unless you hook it up to a computer.
This goes for virtually everything that's out there. A synth offering this kind of standalone operation - and at this price - is truly mindblowing IMHO.