The Blofeld Site Is Up

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:26 am

The Blofeld is sort of a next-gen VA (or at least, the VA elements of it), isn't it? It seems to me that Waldorf may well have rebuilt the Q architecture from scratch, and there's nothing else on the market (except perhaps the Solaris and possibly the Wave) which isn't using code that dates in part from a few years ago (I'm thinking Radias, Virus (the VA section), etc.?
It does seem like this is a synth that does a stupidly huge amount of stuff for the size and price - if they put wavetable editing I am extremely getting one, and putting it next to my Evolver, MDUW, EuF, Sherman (etc.), and calling it a day :)
virb.com/ookpikk

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:19 am

I don't think Carbon111 is anti-free speech; I sincerely hope he hasn't left VSE permanently over this!

T7 please drop it.

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:30 am

Dano wrote:T7 please drop it.
Okay.

crufty

Post by crufty » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:04 am

well I'm excited. Though I have midi outs hooked up on all my synths, to be honest, I never use them. Well almost never. The ones I have in my racks I'm too damn lazy to get up. Then the others I control via other controllers anyway. I have a master controller hooked up to the midi express and logic takes care of the routing OR, I have some of those old akai patch bays hooked up to a mc-X0X and a few berhinger nob spinners (the 4 knobby ones) for a more live set *shrug* to each their own. It's not like its a keyboard where you'll be playing notes...right?

I wish there was a midi out, but how much does that wish cost?

cfernn

Post by cfernn » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:45 am

a Blofeld on this baby, fresh
don't worry guys...just say the word

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:05 am

*steps through the rubble* Wow wtf happened here. Noooooooo! Carbon don't go! Why did you have to die so young! Whyyyyyy! I should have given you a can of this to keep your threads clean.

I hope you didn't leave for reals and instead went out to a shooting range or cage fight to clear the blood lust.

:happy3:

Damn the Blofeld is small and super portable, I just saw a pic of it on a synth.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

insky

Post by insky » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:12 am

It could be worse: You could have a MIDI out but no MIDI in. That would really suck, since well it has no keyboard. Then you'd have to hook it up to a computer.

Anybody else think the Bloefeld front page is lame?
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

T7
No Longer Registered

Post by T7 » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:20 am

Upper Wavetable explained:

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files ... etable.txt

Also, check out this info on how the wavetables, and the upper wavetable are implemented in the Blofeld, from Till Kopper as well, on Harmony Central:

"The Blofeld wavetables are all filled the way they did in the original Q/mQ way and the MW II way. But because they are interpoleted way smoother then on the MW II and the PPG waves, these have 128 points in the wavetable accessable from the PW knob. But you can modulate it even more in detail with all those available mod matrix sources or the PWM sources in the oscillator menu.
The upperwavetable is "only" implemented just like a normal wavetable. Not the PPG wave.
The upperwavetable introduced in the PPG wave 2.2 and also featured on the PPG wave 2.3 (in bank 0 only), was made from alreaddy stored waveshapes used in all the other wavetables. So it is a mixture of very different waveshapes. From organ to distorted. From mellow to digital harshness. Kind of "best-of".
It was mainly used tio overcome the single wavetable per sound limit on the PPG waves. You could use the normal selected table for wavetable scanning and the second oscillator used a fixed upperwavetable position to add for example a bright shape to a more mellow wavetable used in oscillator 2.
Scanning through the positions of the upperwavetable does sound a bit like those "Wavetrip" wavetables of the Waldorf microWave II."
Last edited by T7 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:24 am

insky wrote:Anybody else think the Bloefeld front page is lame?
Agreed. I thought someone was typing literally how they spoke. Now when I think of the Waldorf Blofeld I wont be thinking of a james bond character. I will think of a fat bald guy who sat on something he shouldn't have sat on...and he liked it and giggled.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:25 pm

insky wrote: Anybody else think the Bloefeld front page is lame?
No I don't find it lame. I think it's refreshing they are taking a humorous approach in their initial marketing of the Blofeld.
I think they're proud of this little baby and having fun with it, not bad for a company that was presumed dead.
To me it says you can once again make music with a Waldorf product and have fun doing it.

Who says Germans don't have a since of humor? :lol:

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:55 pm

precipice wrote:
insky wrote: Anybody else think the Bloefeld front page is lame?
No I don't find it lame. I think it's refreshing they are taking a humorous approach in their initial marketing of the Blofeld.
I think they're proud of this little baby and having fun with it, not bad for a company that was presumed dead.
To me it says you can once again make music with a Waldorf product and have fun doing it.

Who says Germans don't have a since of humor? :lol:
Yeah but it's the Blofeld not the Dr. Evil. (though Dr. Evil is a great name for a synth...)
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:50 pm

blofeld, dr. evil...you may find there isn't much difference.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:54 pm

insky wrote:Anybody else think the Bloefeld front page is lame?
Aye. Very lame :(
twentyfirst century fizMO man

zobomix

Post by zobomix » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:27 pm

Nah, it was pretty funny.

Much better than the clavia site. That's actually the lame one. Watch out, Waldorf is back. 8)

Carbon, don't leave. Your opinion is highly regarded and I'm sure most people here respect you and what you say.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:05 pm

I liked the front page... made me giggle.

The Blofeld definitely looks pretty cool. Third in line though... still need an Evolver and Little Phatty :).
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES