Jarre talks shop on new DVD, vintage synth demos ahoy!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Soundwave

Jarre talks shop on new DVD, vintage synth demos ahoy!

Post by Soundwave » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:12 am

8)

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:43 am

:shock: Like in the pictures. I hate him! He has a bunch of synthi's...I just want 1 and the Arp 2600. :cry:

"jehms bownd kais" :lol: Secret agent synth oh yes!
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:45 pm

Yeah, four Synthi AKS's just for white noise effects? :x
What I found interesting was that they aren't necessarily recreating it with the original instruments for every part, yet they are still going all vintage for the performance, with a few new analogs thrown in like the Moog LP.

I also didn't know Jarre had just come out of IRCAM before recording Oxygene.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:01 pm

4xwhite noise??? One AKS was used for a thereminsound, another for a laser effect, yet another used by Claude Sammard for unknown sounds and one Putney I didn't see in use.
It seems like the Moog 55 was used for a sound similar to the Oxygene 8 lead, so he probably haven't touched it since the Oxygene Tour where it was used for that lead :wink:
I was amazed how often he used the RMI.
Even if you are not into JMJ this DVD is a gem for all vintage freaks!
Clavia: /Nord Lead 2x/
Roland: /AX-Synth/D-50/SH-201/
Korg: /EMX-1/Microkorg/Monotron/MS-20 Mini

radek tymecki

Post by radek tymecki » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:43 pm

I think vcs3 was used for all kinds of wind effects

Clavier
Gear: A distraction.
Band: Rhode Out West

Post by Clavier » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm really looking forward to this.
Hammond RT-2, Hammond M3, Hammond L-102, Rhodes mk1 suitcase 88, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Yamaha TX-802, Fender Twin Reverb, Leslie 45

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am

Damn, I would've definitely expected him to pronounce Moog right! :shock:

Awesome clips, thanks for the links!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:11 pm

Bob Moog himself says even his own family doesn't "know" how to pronounce their own name, so it's really no issue to speak of. The name is from the Netherlands, and some parts of the family would say Moo-g, while other parts would say Mogue. None are wrong according to him.

This is from the Moog tribute DVD.

Almost all the effects you hear on the early Jarre albums are Synthi/VCS3. He mostly uses it for unpitched sounds and effects because the oscillators doesn't track keyboard pitch very well on their own, due to a serious mess of control voltages inside the synth. I could go into it, but it will be a whole page of info that isn't really relevant to the thread itself.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:14 am

Bitexion wrote:Bob Moog himself says even his own family doesn't "know" how to pronounce their own name, so it's really no issue to speak of. The name is from the Netherlands, and some parts of the family would say Moo-g, while other parts would say Mogue. None are wrong according to him.

This is from the Moog tribute DVD.
Strange, I own that DVD and I don't recall Bob ever saying that neither he nor anyone in his family had any idea about how to pronounce their own last name.

In fact if you watch this clip on youtube you'll hear a sample from a talk show host stating that he has been clearly instructed on the pronunciation of Bob's last name prior to introducing him;

That instruction did not come down from a guy who didn't have a preference for how his own last name should be pronounced!

amni

Post by amni » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:39 pm

I love this Jarre DVD so much I bought a new TV
Serge Modular, Synthi AKS, Andromeda A6, (Plan B,Livewire,CGS,Doepfer) Eurorack Modular, x0xb0x,TR606,Machinedrum,MS20

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:48 pm

Let's not do the Moog/ Mogue argument again, it's been done ad nauseum!!!

I like the way Jarre uses his instruments- there's a certain amount of the instrument itself dictating the music. He's not forcing the synth to do things that don't come easily on it. Perhaps this is why his later material doesn't sound so original?

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:07 pm

If it's true that Michel Geiss was hired to program sounds, there must be some more advanced sounds somewhere on the last part of Oxygene and Equinoxe. I have always thought the effects on Oxygene 2 for instance were nicely programmed.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:16 pm

I think we feel his old stuff was more original is because he actually invented all those sounds out of thin air back in the 70's. Noone had heard music like that. But nowadays, every band and their grandmothers use synths in the same way as he did. And even himself too. So of course it sounds less fresh now. There was no "Jarre strings" he could emulate or effect sounds he could look up on internet how to make.
He used synths as a tool to get out the music he had in his head, he says he creates landscapes with his art. And listening to Equinoxe, Oxygene etc, you know he's right.

Michael Geiss was/is Jarre's ARP 2600 guy, he's usually listed in all the album sleeves playing the 2600 (and some other gear). It's more like a band effort really when he makes records. He has some trusted old cohorts like Francis Rimbert, Michael Geiss on the team too. Francis always plays the bass and string pad parts on live shows. He'd also often hire experts on a certain new synth to create sounds for him on that particular synth, so he wouldn't have to spend ages getting intimate with every single synth, EVER. And he has them all.

Synthprophet

Post by Synthprophet » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:30 pm

Yes Michel Geiss was teached in using the 2600 and is often credited as an artistic collabrator. Sorry I don't remember where I read it, but Oxygene 1, 2 and 3 are said to be Jarre only tracks made in his kitchen, then Michel Geiss was hired to help finishing the album.
Yes you may say that the sounds are simple, but as Bitexion mentioned JMJ was among the pioneers and the first people in this business, so they couldn't replicate others sounds as we can and probably do today.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Bitexion wrote:he says he creates landscapes with his art. And listening to Equinoxe, Oxygene etc, you know he's right.
Ya, I agree! Both those albums are very evocative of landscapes. I'm really happy that he's put a genuinely live performance out. He hasn't done that since the Concerts in China, and even that was remixed in places. There's a great version of Magnetic Fields I on the VHS video- warts and all!