FR 777 or FR Revolution

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
artfulideas

FR 777 or FR Revolution

Post by artfulideas » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:57 am

Is the Revolution any good? Or is the 777 just that much better. Its way more expensive, out of my range frankly. Is it because it can do way more than the Revolution, or because its rarer? Is the Revolution more of a one trick pony, in that it can really only emulate the 303, and not much more?

Any thoughts?
Drum machines: Machinedrum UW mk II, modded TR-606, TR-707 & TR-727 (both circuit bent), ER-1 mkII
Synths: MFB Synth II, MicroKorg, modded Fatman, Mini theremin

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:26 pm

The 777 is rare, expensive and has two oscillators...and some other stuff the Revolution doesn't have...it was way beyond a 303 emulator. The Revolution is great as well... but the effects suck (you don't have to use them) and it is alot truer to a 303...meaning it is limited.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Post by Meso » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:46 pm

I haven't had the pleasure of trying out a 777 but I have a Revo and I think of it as more than just a TB clone,
but as stated the effects are pretty much useless except the overdrive which is analogue, I just use external effects with it,
and its a great sequencer as well, I use mine to sequence my Moog Rogue.

All in all its a very simple synth but I really like it.

tunedLow
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Sage XP 4wt 10
Sage TXL 3wt 710

Post by tunedLow » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:29 pm

If you're really interested in the two you can get both manuals from the FR site. But I guess it depends on what you want out of it - as it was already stated, you'll get more features out of the 777, and the synth part of the revo is very limited (and yes, the effects suck).

I got my revo because I wanted a 303 clone, but ended up liking the sequencer even more. Overall I really like mine, but just be aware of what you're getting. What are the 777's going for now? The versatility may be worth it to you.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:53 pm

Meso wrote:I have a Revo and I think of it as more than just a TB clone,
how? because it can sequencer other gear? That's fair...but I was talking about its sound.

Meso
Gear: Roland MV-8800, DSI MEK, Novation KS-4, Waldorf µwave XT, FutureRetro Revolution

Post by Meso » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:21 am

JSRockit wrote:
Meso wrote:I have a Revo and I think of it as more than just a TB clone,
how? because it can sequencer other gear? That's fair...but I was talking about its sound.
Yeah, basically because its a great sequencer, but its sound is of course very limited but I like it... who doesn't like the 303 sound :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 pm

Meso wrote:who doesn't like the 303 sound :)
Some on here claim to not like it...but since it can sound like a normal analog one osc synth (when not in that high resonance area), that is hard to believe... unless you just don't like analogs.