Recreating the D-50's "Soundtrack" patch

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
desmond

Re: Recreating the D-50's "Soundtrack" patch

Post by desmond » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:10 am

john909kid wrote:So the patch uses PWM, which the XV5080 lacks. Would this help in anyway?
How to achieve PWM on Roland’s SuperJV / XP and XV series
Yes, that's what I meant by "approximating" PWM. Unfortunately, you can only do that with one particular SAW wave as it's the only wave that has an inverse version, and a saw doesn't sound right for this patch (yes, I did try it out...). Soundtrack is very noticeably pulse and square waves. There isn't a viable way of simulating the PWM that I can see, so I'm likely going to end up using two layered patches (b) above, or samples (c), but I'm starting with (a) first (although I haven't got back to it in detail yet...)
john909kid wrote:Here's a JD990 (which lacks PWM) doing the D50 Soundtrack patch.
Yep, I've seen that before, it's not imo a very good version. It's more of a smooth fifths pad than a credible Soundtrack. There are already similar variations on that type of sound in the XV, but they aren't really in ballpark...

But yes, using the plugin has been great to finally help deconstruct the patch... :thumbleft:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:03 am

Wow, that has all the elements. I think in some ways, it's a nicer sound- possibly more useable too as it evokes the vibe of the original without the cliché.

desmond

Post by desmond » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:20 pm

madtheory wrote:Wow, that has all the elements. I think in some ways, it's a nicer sound- possibly more useable too as it evokes the vibe of the original without the cliché.
Hey - I *like* the cliche! :lol: ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:13 pm

LOL