ARP Centaur

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:06 am

MrFrodo wrote:Oh, where was I? I wasn't even a sperm cell.

And, if the Avatar was such an infamous factor in ARP's downfall, a more practical means to the development of that synth might have resulted in giving that company a slightly longer timespan.

From what I read in Vintage Synths, the Chroma may be based on the 2600, but it was built partially in response to Sequential's commercial success with the Prophet series. (Phillip Dodds remarked on Sequential's rise to power in his interview.)
So you weren't even born yet, yet you are going to call them idiots. Its responses like this that really get to me. I have a feeling they know a little bit more of what's going on then you did. And you said it yourself "PARTIALLY in response"

From what I understand the Avatar rose from the Centaur project. They needed a way to take some of that R&D and put it into something practical. If I'm wrong about that someone please correct me. It's been a while since I read up on that. One of my best friend's co-workers worked for ARP as an engineer back then. I will be sure to tell him some kid thinks he's an idiot and a shumuk.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:18 am

I've seen the second one in Micke's post. If I remember correctly, I think it has "guitar synthesizer" printed on it somewhere. I know the man who owns it quite well, and I think he may own the original Centaur too. He said it was developed way before the Avatar.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:27 am

hfinn wrote:So you weren't even born yet, yet you are going to call them idiots. Its responses like this that really get to me. I have a feeling they know a little bit more of what's going on then you did. And you said it yourself "PARTIALLY in response"

From what I understand the Avatar rose from the Centaur project. They needed a way to take some of that R&D and put it into something practical. If I'm wrong about that someone please correct me. It's been a while since I read up on that. One of my best friend's co-workers worked for ARP as an engineer back then. I will be sure to tell him some kid thinks he's an idiot and a shumuk.
And, be sure to tell him that "some kid" (who is going to be 28 in a month) wasn't talking abou the employees. He was talking about Lew Pollick and David Friend.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:32 am

Alright...what mod deleted my post? So that I may impale you. :twisted:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:38 am

I don't think that any mod has ever deleted one of your posts. For to do so would mean fewer copies of your avatar per page.

WD

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:44 am

MrFrodo wrote:
hfinn wrote:So you weren't even born yet, yet you are going to call them idiots. Its responses like this that really get to me. I have a feeling they know a little bit more of what's going on then you did. And you said it yourself "PARTIALLY in response"

And, be sure to tell him that "some kid" (who is going to be 28 in a month) wasn't talking abou the employees. He was talking about Lew Pollick and David Friend.
Well you did say you were not a 'spirm' cell when this was done so I knew the oldest you could be was 27 or so.

I'm just bothered that you couldn't make your point without slinging insults at people. You also didn't originally name names. Your very first statemen just implied ARP as a whole since you said "Damn, those people". I just wish you had been there in 1975-76 while they were working on the Centaur so that you could've set them straight.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:53 am

Strange for I had posted a big fat man and a baby having a crying contest. No mod to impale? :( *puts away the knives*
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Strange for I had posted a big fat man and a baby having a crying contest. No mod to impale? :( *puts away the knives*
Am I the baby or the fat man? I don't think I'm fat although I do drink a bit of beer lately...

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Alright...what mod deleted my post? So that I may impale you. :twisted:
I did - it had no bearing on the thread and might have sparked a derailment.

You haven't a weapon long or sharp enough to impale me. I will eat all of your impaling weapons.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:58 am

Frodo, you really should think before you post. Actually, just don't post at all.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:06 am

I liked this thread a lot better when it was about the Centaur... :evil:
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

WDW

Post by WDW » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:09 am

As did I and likely most everyone reading this thread. So, any posts that are not on subject in this thread will be deleted from here on out.

Carry on with Centaur talk...

WD

energetik

Post by energetik » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:47 am

So this Centaur was what Friend turned into the Avatar then? Kludged a bunch of parts together along with guitar input circuits ad tried to sell several million dollars worth in a year's time? From what I read Pearlman pretty much got railroaded.
Modulate er... MODERATE THIS!

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:23 am

energetik wrote:So this Centaur was what Friend turned into the Avatar then? Kludged a bunch of parts together along with guitar input circuits ad tried to sell several million dollars worth in a year's time? From what I read Pearlman pretty much got railroaded.
Yup! That about appears to be the general consensus today... Seems to me those early synth manufacturers could have done with fewer pie in the sky tech-heads and a couple of more marketing experts. But as someone said earlier in this thread, 'with the benefit of 30 years hindsight'..... :roll:
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:26 am

So I guess the general consensus is that Mr Friend was the evil bastard/genious that brought ARP to its knees?

I've read the "Rise and Fall of ARP" article from the old business magazine.