poly 800 super mod

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gs

Post by gs » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:32 pm

altemark wrote:insky: the mod is going to be way more than just adding a 2nd LFO, at least that is planned. Just the other day the guy who is developing it made it possible to use other waveforms for the LFO also
Maybe I should look into this, as I would love to have additional LFO waveforms on my DSS1 (it only has sine wave LFO). A sample-and-hold waveform would be awesome.
Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Korg Z1, Alesis Ion, Alesis QS8.2, Kawai K3M

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:54 pm

well in theory, there's alot you can do with this sort of mod. from what i've read it works on the software level rather than the physical hacks have been previously done.

I also agree as I dont get why korg would care about this .. since it's not produced by them. This is in the same vein as devilfish mods, Angel City upgrades ect. totaly independant and home brewed.

Although I would really like to see this one succeed. opinions be what they may, I love the 800.

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:44 pm

have youse seen the poly800 review at blue synths? Couldnt have come out at a better time, it actually inspired me to dust off my poly800 and fool around with it last night, anyone thinking about doing the moog slayer mod, should just do it, its reallllly easy to do and it makes the poly800 sounds great, really warm

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:26 am

insky wrote:It doesn't really interest me too much. It just adds an LFO to a very mediocre sounding synth. It's like putting salt on a turd sandwich...it still tastes like c**p.
My thoughts as well. I don't think the poly-800 is horrible its just not that wonderful either and I don't think lots of mods will make it all that much better. Had a poly-800, added the moog-slayer and sold it. Wasn't bad but I don't miss it.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

insky

Post by insky » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:09 am

I just took a look and my suspicions were correct this is the work of the Korg-PolyEx Yahoo group. Korg has nothing to do with this...other than making the synth 20 years ago. They are reverse engineering the Poly 800's firmware and adding extra memory to give it enhanced features.

The Poly-800 isn't my favorite synth, and I find the prices these are going for these days (they're getting up to $300 on eBay) too expensive compared to what else you can get for cheaper. No matter how many modifications you do to these it will still sound like a Poly 800. That being said I really like the sound of the square wave on this and that's what's keeping me from selling mine...that and the fact that it's in horrible shape.

I still think the work they're doing is really cool.
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:39 pm

polys over 300? only a fool would pay that. They shouldn't sell over 150$ max . . I just looked and there's a few highly inflated ones on ebay right now.. mainly cause they have been modded. Just suckers looking to turn a quick buck I guess.. I wouldnt pay 2.5 times the price for that..

devetron

Post by devetron » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:12 pm

MOD UPDATE:
The Poly 800 now has portamento. Check out this youtube vid demonstration:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sbdII38G5LE
Quite exciting. Mike, the developer of the new mod received the prototype PCBs a little bit ago and is working on building them up and further developing his code.

Me? I sold my last Poly 800 last week. Didn't need it either way.
synths

Dirk

Post by Dirk » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:12 pm

Detuned unison would be a great feature.

But I don't want to pay 100 bucks for the upgrade.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:44 pm

oh, i like that quite a lot!

100 bux wouldn't be bad imo, i got my poly 800 in trade for a 707, so my cash outlay has been zero!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:20 pm

metrosonus wrote:polys over 300? only a fool would pay that. They shouldn't sell over 150$ max . . I just looked and there's a few highly inflated ones on ebay right now.. mainly cause they have been modded. Just suckers looking to turn a quick buck I guess.. I wouldnt pay 2.5 times the price for that..
And that's why I sold mine for $250. I despised the thing. All voices running through a single filter and to get halfway decent sounds you have to stack the DCO's and make it 4-voice. I'm glad I sold it, I like my JX a lot more. As far as those mods go, it's not something that can't already be done on my Ion. I have no care for the 800 whatsoever. My favourite part was that it had guitar pegs... It seriously hurt my opinion of KORG, maybe I'll get a Poly-61 and see if that redeems them.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:11 pm

Box wrote:
metrosonus wrote: It seriously hurt my opinion of KORG, maybe I'll get a Poly-61 and see if that redeems them.
just get a polysix or monopoly if you want some quality instruments from korg, the poly61 programming method is just as annoying at the poly800, it does sound better though and the arp is sweet, that said, its still no polysix :)

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:04 am

ianjhicks wrote:just get a polysix or monopoly if you want some quality instruments from korg
The man doesn't lie. ;)

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:29 am

Ye, I'd really like to have a Mono/Poly or Polysix, but that'd take a huge chunk out of my Obie funding. :P The programming on the Poly didn't bother me so much as the quality of the instrument itself.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:36 am

Box wrote:Ye, I'd really like to have a Mono/Poly or Polysix, but that'd take a huge chunk out of my Obie funding. :P The programming on the Poly didn't bother me so much as the quality of the instrument itself.
As great as they are, neither can replace an Oberheim - that's for sure.

Box
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P

Post by Box » Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:14 am

OriginalJambo wrote:As great as they are, neither can replace an Oberheim - that's for sure.
Yep, so that's why after I get my car repaired and running again I'm going to start saving up for my Obie. I plan to get a summer job to get money for it, a bigger amp, and a 3-tier stand to house it along with my current gear. The rest will be used for a fresh new paint job for my car and whatever's left will be thrown into savings.