Do you leave your gear on all the time?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

gear on?

Poll ended at Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:00 am

yes
4%
h**l no, damn s**t catch fire!!
96%

Total votes: 70

eskimo

Do you leave your gear on all the time?

Post by eskimo » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 am

Just curious..
I used to be religious about turning it off at the end of a session.. 15 years later, I'll leave them on for weeks at a time.
The heat builds up, the Akai stays in tune, you don't have issues with cooldown/ warmup..

oh, keeps the basement warm too. 8)

Modern hardware is reliable as all h**l, the worst thing you do to it is:
1. powercycle it, (check)
2. spill coffee on it (check, check)

What about vintage?
-course, I don't own 'vintage' like most you guys.
I know you understand,

ASR-x/CS1-x/Wavestation AD/MicroModular/Morpheus/VX600/DX200/microwaveXT/MS2000R
~eskimo~

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:18 pm

I don't leave it on all the time, my electric bill is big enough & some of my synths get pretty warm so there's always the paranoid thought that they might catch fire/melt/explode.

That said, I will usually leave vintage stuff on for few a good few hours before & after I use it, especially if I'm only going to use it for a short while.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Nah. It's bad for the environment, the room gets too hot and none of my stuff really needs to warm up, except the valve pre.

Dirk

Re: Do you leave your gear on all the time?

Post by Dirk » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:41 pm

eskimo wrote: Modern hardware is reliable as all h**l, the worst thing you do to it is:
1. powercycle it, (check)
If the designer has put enough cooling stuff on the equipment, it does not get warm. Hence it does not go into a powercycle. And turning it on/off will not affect sound.
Making sure equipment stay's cool increases lifespan to.

Tip: Buy equipment that does not get warm.
All Animals Are Created Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:48 pm

I don't even leave gear plugged in any more.

During a thunderstorm some years back, lightning hit a utility pole down the street and the surge fried the motherboard in my SQ80 which was plugged in but turned off. Yes, it was plugged into a surge suppressor which also fried :(

I am tempted to keep my Motif on all the time though because of slow sample loading (samples are lost on power-down). I have considered plugging that into a UPS.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:19 pm

I unplug my gear for reasons of a) safety (it's all vintage) and b) ethical reasons (the environmental consideration being just one of many...)
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:37 pm

I have had bad experiences with old analog when it is left on.
I leave it on long enough to tune and then as long as I need it. Then I turn it off.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

esqoner

Post by esqoner » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:42 pm

i'd unplug my tv every night if my wife didn't make fun of me.

i wouldn't have a tv if i wasn't married.

i unplug everything (musical)

i don't like wasting stuff. like the environment or money.

rjd2

Post by rjd2 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:07 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:I have had bad experiences with old analog when it is left on.
I leave it on long enough to tune and then as long as I need it. Then I turn it off.
this is spot on, IMO. "vintage" gear that is cared for and restored GENERALLY never takes longer than 10-15 min to stabilize. i turn on what im going to play, make some coffee, go play. turn off. unplug when i go out of town.

little known cs-80(50/60 too?) secret-the later era Yamaha IG VCO chips were, according to kent spong-reknkowned cs80 tech-ROCK solid. different build or something. my 80 is ser#1418-pretty late, and it stays in tune like a champ-all those tuning nightmare stories may be true of earlier models, but im not the only 80 owner who is calling partial bullshit on the myth.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:35 pm

I leave everything off I'm not using. This especially goes for the JP8 because the heat sink gets hot enough for mild burns in a warm room. Same goes for my Mackie CR1604vlz mixer's transformer. I think I need to get that thing looked at, Mackies aren't supposed to get that hot.

Actually the MD8 MIDI<->DCB converter stays on all the time because it powers up in Omni mode. :x
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:54 pm

i leave the Sherman on for days at a time, since it is OK to do so - in the manual it says it draws as much power as a telephone answering machine.
only other piece i 'keep warm' is my Matrix1000. It has a voice chip that is intermittent and generally doesn't sound as often unless it's warmed up a few hours. maybe this is a bad thing; i'm sure it needs new capacitors and a probably a psu to boot.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:23 pm

no.. I like to save on electricity :wink:

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:50 pm

I turn each of my instruments and devices on and off individually for each session. I also cover my equipment with dust covers during the workday and on vacations.

This kid gloves care pays off. My MT-70 looks brand new even though it turns 25 this X-mas!

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:53 pm

rjd2 wrote:little known cs-80(50/60 too?) secret-the later era Yamaha IG VCO chips were, according to kent spong-reknkowned cs80 tech-ROCK solid. different build or something. my 80 is ser#1418-pretty late, and it stays in tune like a champ-all those tuning nightmare stories may be true of earlier models, but im not the only 80 owner who is calling partial bullshit on the myth.
My CS-50 is the same. One of the most pitch-stable analog synths I have owned. I very rarely have to tune it. I always forget to even check.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

sequence

Re: Do you leave your gear on all the time?

Post by sequence » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:09 pm

Dirk wrote: If the designer has put enough cooling stuff on the equipment, it does not get warm.
hellooo Uli Behringer, read and heed! :roll:

(And yes I do turn off my equipment and cover it when Im done)
twentyfirst century fizMO man