Alesis MMT8 running on battery power!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Alesis MMT8 running on battery power!

Postby gmeredith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:13 am

Hi everyone,

I've just figured out how to get my Alesis MMT8 sequencer to run off a DC 9V plug pack, instead of the AC 9V one that they all have. I've installed some Ni-MH rechargeable AA batteries in it and a charging socket, now I have true portable sequencing :D

Here are some pictures:

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/i ... 520.0.html

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:13 am

awesome!
Do you even post on vse bro?
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Postby jtuttle » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:15 am

Is there any way this could be at all useful/applicable for running a Micron off batteries? I don't want to open it (I wouldn't have a problem with an external battery pack), but it would be quite nice to be able to use it without being tethered to an outlet.

-- J.P.
jtuttle

Postby gmeredith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:46 am

The Micron could be powered by batteries, but not as simply as the MMT8. The reason the MMT8 was so easy is that it is a MIDI sequencer and has no audio circuits, only computer logic stuff, which runs off +5V DC internally. I don't know why alesis persisted with a 9V AC supply for this machine :x

The Micron has audio circuits, which generally run off a dual rail power configuration inside the micron, converted from AC 9V to +9V, 0V and -9V DC. You could do it, but it would mean opening the micron up, not just connecting a battery pack externally. If you were to go through with it, you would need 2 sets of 9V battery packs, wired together in a dual rail configuration, and then you would tap these into the 2 voltage regulator inputs inside the micron. Feasable, but fiddly.

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Re: Alesis MMT8 running on battery power!

Postby mis psiquicios y yo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 am

gmeredith wrote:Hi everyone,

I've just figured out how to get my Alesis MMT8 sequencer to run off a DC 9V plug pack, instead of the AC 9V one that they all have. I've installed some Ni-MH rechargeable AA batteries in it and a charging socket, now I have true portable sequencing :D

Here are some pictures:

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/i ... 520.0.html

Cheers, Graham

Congrats for that mod! the MMT-8 is my favourite sequencer right know
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source, Emax rack, DX 7 II-9-11-100, VFX-SD, Microkorg XL, Poly 800, volcas & DotCom modular
mis psiquicios y yo

Postby gmeredith » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:29 am

Yeah, it's a great machine, really quick to use, especially live. You can also do an 8x and a 16x memory expansion I made up for these - 8, or 16 banks of mmt8 memories in one machine - 1600 songs!

You can download here at the yahoo MMT8 forum the 16x expansion, in the FILES section:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/MMT8/

You have to join as a member to download it though.

You can download the 8x expansion (same thing. basically) without joining, here:

http://midiutils.org/mmt8/memoryexpansion

Cheers, Graham
gmeredith

Return to General Synthesizers