nord lead 3 or waldorf q

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
derma_tek
Band: Derma-Tek

nord lead 3 or waldorf q

Post by derma_tek » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 pm

so i sold my virus kb, nothing wrong with the virus, i've just been using it for so long and i want to mix things up a bit now.

i love the sound of both the nord lead 3 and the waldorf q, i know the nord doesn't have effects, but both seem quite impressive to me, and they will both suit my style of music.

so...

which one? and why?

thanks in advance guys :)

sequence

Post by sequence » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:44 pm

Im not a big NL fan, they remind me too much of Volvos: well-built, but too utilitarian. So IMO I have to go with the 'Dorf here, even tho I had a Q once and got rid of it. The new Micro-Q Phoenix had its street price lowered to $699, which is a good deal, considering U also get limited wavetable capabilites.

Or... hold on and wait for Blofeld. that little baby's generating a LOT of discussion and anticipation on this forum, and could possibly be the best value in a desktop synth ever, even at its current release price of $699 USD. They should be out within a couple weeks.

I just think the Dorf products are way more versatile than the NLs, and if U want to "mix it up," it would seem to me that they can do a better job. to me a NL would be too much like yr Virus U just bagged. good luck dude
twentyfirst century fizMO man

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:52 pm

sequence wrote:Im not a big NL fan, they remind me too much of Volvos: well-built, but too utilitarian. So IMO I have to go with the 'Dorf here, even tho I had a Q once and got rid of it. The new Micro-Q Phoenix had its street price lowered to $699, which is a good deal, considering U also get limited wavetable capabilites.

Or... hold on and wait for Blofeld. that little baby's generating a LOT of discussion and anticipation on this forum, and could possibly be the best value in a desktop synth ever, even at its current release price of $699 USD. They should be out within a couple weeks.

I just think the Dorf products are way more versatile than the NLs, and if U want to "mix it up," it would seem to me that they can do a better job. to me a NL would be too much like yr Virus U just bagged. good luck dude
thanks for the info, the blofeld is tempting, however right now i i definitely need something with keys, so the waldorf q might be the better choice for me.

anyone else care to chime in?

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:50 pm

All opinion of course...

I hated the Q when I owned it. The tone of it just didn't work for me. I found there to be a lot of digital artifacts in the sound, and harshness in the high end. It seemed muddy at the low end and way to sharp at the high end.

I love my Nord Lead 3. It definitely doesn't sound analog, but who cares. It's aggressive, can be quite big sounding at times, the FM is rad, the amounts of OSC mods are wonderful. The "Unison" feature is actually more of a chorus, the real unison feature is using the chord button to stack oscillators. There is so much that can be done control wise with the NL3 that nothing else can do as easily. You can map ANYTHING to the velocity, mod wheel, aftertouch, etc. Just hold down the mod button and assign the amount by turning the knob of the parameter you want to control. How great is that? The chord/stack feature can do crazy s**t. I like to have the oscillators a perfect fifth apart, and then use the chord/stack button to have a stack of 1(2), 7(2), 12(1). So you end up having the root 1 (two oscillators a fifth apart) twice, the fifth (7) of those oscillators twice, and the octave (12) of those oscillators once. The result... craziness! You could do anything with that button; 1, 19, 32... there's a chord! Lets not forget the best pitch bender ever. That piece of wood will forever change the way you bend notes. I wish all synths had one. I also love the Performance mode. You have four slots that you can put any sound into and save it as a performance. That way you can seemlessly transition patches live, and the Nord does not cut off the sound when you switch the patches. These Performances can also be used for splits, layered multis, etc. That's not all... you can load the four slots up with your sounds, and then completely tweak those sounds into new ones and save them, while your original patches remain unaltered in the Patch section! Awesome. I think a lot of people overlook these features, which in my opinion, are what makes the NL3 amazing. Sound has a lot to do with a synth, but so does features like these.

The NL3 is not the best sounding VA or digital synth, but it sounds very good, and with all those control features and that interface, it's definitely an awesome synth. Hope I helped.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Also, i think the NL's sound nothing like the Virus. The Virus sounds more analog, but still vanilla to me. The NL sound more digital, but definitely has it's own tone.

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:13 pm

maindeglorie wrote:All opinion of course...

I hated the Q when I owned it. The tone of it just didn't work for me. I found there to be a lot of digital artifacts in the sound, and harshness in the high end. It seemed muddy at the low end and way to sharp at the high end.

I love my Nord Lead 3. It definitely doesn't sound analog, but who cares. It's aggressive, can be quite big sounding at times, the FM is rad, the amounts of OSC mods are wonderful. The "Unison" feature is actually more of a chorus, the real unison feature is using the chord button to stack oscillators. There is so much that can be done control wise with the NL3 that nothing else can do as easily. You can map ANYTHING to the velocity, mod wheel, aftertouch, etc. Just hold down the mod button and assign the amount by turning the knob of the parameter you want to control. How great is that? The chord/stack feature can do crazy s**t. I like to have the oscillators a perfect fifth apart, and then use the chord/stack button to have a stack of 1(2), 7(2), 12(1). So you end up having the root 1 (two oscillators a fifth apart) twice, the fifth (7) of those oscillators twice, and the octave (12) of those oscillators once. The result... craziness! You could do anything with that button; 1, 19, 32... there's a chord! Lets not forget the best pitch bender ever. That piece of wood will forever change the way you bend notes. I wish all synths had one. I also love the Performance mode. You have four slots that you can put any sound into and save it as a performance. That way you can seemlessly transition patches live, and the Nord does not cut off the sound when you switch the patches. These Performances can also be used for splits, layered multis, etc. That's not all... you can load the four slots up with your sounds, and then completely tweak those sounds into new ones and save them, while your original patches remain unaltered in the Patch section! Awesome. I think a lot of people overlook these features, which in my opinion, are what makes the NL3 amazing. Sound has a lot to do with a synth, but so does features like these.

The NL3 is not the best sounding VA or digital synth, but it sounds very good, and with all those control features and that interface, it's definitely an awesome synth. Hope I helped.
thanks for all the awesome info, man this is a tough call i think i like the over all sound of the nord lead 3 better.

how do you rate the key action on the nord?
that was probably, the main thing i had the hardest time letting go of with the virus, the keys were a dream to play.

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:46 am

The Virus keys can't be beat. The NL3's are like typical synth keys. Some people complain that it's the worst keyboard, but really it's the same as any other synth. They feel the same as my Little Phatty's and they play very fast.

sequence

Post by sequence » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:00 pm

maindeglorie wrote:I hated the Q when I owned it. The tone of it just didn't work for me. I found there to be a lot of digital artifacts in the sound, and harshness in the high end. It seemed muddy at the low end and way to sharp at the high end
Exactly why I got rid of my Q, too cold, sterile, muddy, thin, etc. To each his own I guess, I doubled my $$ when I sold my Q, so I guess it wasnt all bad... :D

And +1 on the Virus keybed, I played a V-TI and that was the most impressive feature--they are solid keys, and the 'board was built like the Bismarck.
twentyfirst century fizMO man

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:27 am

just fyi, i decided on the nord lead 3, and just won one on ebay, and should have it by the weekend.

thanks to everyone once again for all the help :)

PLP
Gear: OB-8, DSI Tempest, Virus TI2, Korg VolcaBass, Nord Lead 2X

Re: nord lead 3 or waldorf q

Post by PLP » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:34 am

derma_tek wrote:so i sold my virus kb, nothing wrong with the virus, i've just been using it for so long and i want to mix things up a bit now.

i love the sound of both the nord lead 3 and the waldorf q, i know the nord doesn't have effects, but both seem quite impressive to me, and they will both suit my style of music.

so...

which one? and why?

thanks in advance guys :)
I have a Q and a Nord Lead 2 and love them both equally as they both bring something different to the table.
Not your typical Dj http://www.djpuzzle.com

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:34 am

derma_tek wrote:just fyi, i decided on the nord lead 3, and just won one on ebay, and should have it by the weekend.

thanks to everyone once again for all the help :)
Good decision, man. You'll totally love it.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:58 pm

derma_tek wrote:i like the over all sound of the nord lead 3 better.
good choice, if you like the sounds seems like the great interface will make it even a better buy.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

derma_tek

Post by derma_tek » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:40 pm

crystalmsc wrote:
derma_tek wrote:i like the over all sound of the nord lead 3 better.
good choice, if you like the sounds seems like the great interface will make it even a better buy.
yeah i think so too, it just came in the mail today, i got to spend about 15 minutes with it so far, and i think i made the right decision, for me anyway :) i love the tone of this board.

a lot of people seem to think this synth sounds thin, but i was able to make some really big sounds, with little effort, oh well to each his own.

hopefully i'll have some time tonight to dig a little deeper.

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 pm

congratulations on the NL3 and glad it's working out for you so far. have a Nord Rack 3 myself and when I first got it I was a little underwhelmed, almost returned it, but once I started getting used to what to expect when editing patches it quickly became just about my favorite synth. love the fact that I can get sounds out of it that run from completely electronic to almost real sounding plucked/bowed/percussion instruments and especially those weird overlappings of the two.