COMBICHRIST

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
User avatar
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Real name: Stormy
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V
Location: San Angelo, TX
Contact:

COMBICHRIST

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:30 am

What drum machine do they use or is it all sampled?
Image
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

User avatar
synapsecollapse
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 am
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7
Location: austin, texas
Contact:

Post by synapsecollapse » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:44 am

i think its super compressed software with a sherman filterbank.

i also think it might be the worst music ever.

User avatar
metrosonus
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 8:35 pm
Location: Tampa Fl.
Contact:

Post by metrosonus » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 am

it was all the K station desktop without the keys. I think KR? not the one space A station .. but the rack mount full version of the K

Andy_X69
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:22 am
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:37 am

The only rackmount K-Station is the KS Rack, however I think that they are using an Alesis Ion or Micron (from the "Get Your Body Beat" video). Regardless, I agree that Combichrist is highly overrated.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

User avatar
9mm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: los angeles

Post by 9mm » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:52 am

synapsecollapse wrote:i think its super compressed software with a sherman filterbank.

i also think it might be the worst music ever.


well, you fortunately haven't heard any of our other "industrial" bands here in LA. but yeah, tops for the worst...


and i have seen them with laptops on stage, so most likely a good portion of what they use is software, as the hardware seemed pretty scarce,
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver

User avatar
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Real name: Stormy
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V
Location: San Angelo, TX
Contact:

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:13 am

Personally I don't care if its over rated, I like the music and I'm curious how its made, I never knew the ION had drum patches in it =/
Image
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Andy_X69
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:22 am
Gear: Alesis A6 Andromeda, Access Virus TI, Arturia Minibrute, DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard, Waldorf Micro-Q, Waldorf Pulse 2

Post by Andy_X69 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:23 am

BlackGnosis wrote:Personally I don't care if its over rated, I like the music and I'm curious how its made, I never knew the ION had drum patches in it =/
It does, but I think they use the ION only for synths. Drums probably would be software + outboard distortion. Or just software.
http://www.myspace.com/studiodekadent, Cubase 4/TC Powercore X8/MOTU PCIe424 with 24io/MOTU MIDI Express 128

User avatar
synapsecollapse
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:43 am
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7
Location: austin, texas
Contact:

Post by synapsecollapse » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:32 am

you can program drum sounds on a number of subtractive synths.

i saw combichrist on thier first US tour for a few seconds, and it was just andy, a laptop, and an x station.

really, the only thing anyone is going to know about combichrist's gear is from what they use live, and it is usually very minimal synth setup and supposedly now incorperates multiple live drums. as far as studio gear, i seriously doubt that it is anything but samples and A LOT of production tricks (translating to very little replay value in the eyes of some, myself included)

people on other forums are much more entitled to talk about cheating husbands and hacking myspace pangs and other such BS, so you dont often hear mention of gear used to write their songs, but i do know about the filterbank, as previously offered.

User avatar
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Real name: Stormy
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V
Location: San Angelo, TX
Contact:

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:43 am

I personally Enjoy that distorted sound that they produce, its hard for me to re-create it as I am still learning some of these "Tricks" At first I thought it was my gear that was limiting me until I realised that I was thinking backwards, I am limited because I want to be, my gear is just there to put out the sound I have as na end result, I definately need to get into sound manipulation more. and I should probably consider talking courses on learning a synth, I'll admit I am synth stupid, however, I know what I like in what I hear.

I like some of the 808ish sound I hear from them [Combichrist] , yet I find it a huge pain to find that perfect sound of drums. does anyone else have this problem? I guess I'll Search Sound production for drum work...

the drum sounds I am going for right now are the lighter grainy Combichrist sounds [ Like in "get your body beat"] and Suicide commando's Axis of evil album

or maybe I should spend more time In my studio perfecting what samples I have [only 50 GB's worth of drum sounds...yes I buy a lot of sample CD's]
Image
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

User avatar
mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 565
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:02 pm
Location: DC

Post by mome rath » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:48 am

synapsecollapse wrote:
i also think it might be the worst music ever.

icon of coil, panzer AG, combichrist..... jesus it all sounds the same anyway why can't he keep it under one name?

but... i'll admit to liking at least one song off any andy laplegua cd
god elton can't you suck

User avatar
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Real name: Stormy
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V
Location: San Angelo, TX
Contact:

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:50 am

mome rath wrote:
synapsecollapse wrote:
i also think it might be the worst music ever.

icon of coil, panzer AG, combichrist..... jesus it all sounds the same anyway why can't he keep it under one name?

but... i'll admit to liking at least one song off any andy laplegua cd
Its kinda funny when you hear them "touring together"
Image
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

User avatar
stikygum
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 681
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:21 pm
Location: SOS - Substance over Style

Post by stikygum » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:33 am

9mm wrote:
synapsecollapse wrote:i think its super compressed software with a sherman filterbank.

i also think it might be the worst music ever.


well, you fortunately haven't heard any of our other "industrial" bands here in LA. but yeah, tops for the worst...
,
There is definitely something wrong with industrial bands these days. I hear too much c**p. Early-mid 90s was great. The EBM thing is sucking these musicians minds into a corner, although I have heard some slow progress or breakthrough from some bands.

The gritty sound is nice, but Combichrist is definitely Overrated. I agree! Almost too cheesy and lack of substance.

You guys said they use a Novation KS or Ion? I'm suprised. I thought maybe they used sampled sounds of analog synths and other bleeps. I guess they over-process their VA quite heavily to make it gritty.

User avatar
9mm
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:12 pm
Location: los angeles

Post by 9mm » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:51 am

for several years in the late 90s early 00s it was everyone trying to sound like futurepop VNV clones, then there was a backlash of people wanting to get more aggressive, so they all started copying suicide commando and lo and behold you get terror ebm. the bastard child of manson evil and semi harsh trance. and in the end, everyone sounds like carbon copies. it's just a boring uninspired time to be a industrial fan...

i miss the experimental nature of the 80s, and the social/political rhetoric, the art house boundry pushing, like early skinny puppy, spk, foetus, h**l even the sheer fun and funk/disco fusion of thrill kill.

BlackGnosis
as for drums . for that sound i do good with a little distortion, filter, compression and reverb. whether drum machine or samples its all how you layer on the fx.
AX60|AX80|JD990|S612+MD280|SQ80|Micron|ER1mkII|RY30|TG33|VT1

Wanted: super bass station, drum station v2 or d-station, evolver

Entropy Farmer
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Chicago

Post by Entropy Farmer » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:54 am

stikygum wrote:The EBM thing is sucking these musicians minds into a corner, although I have heard some slow progress or breakthrough from some bands.
There's nothing wrong with EBM. Combichrist just sucks.

SHOUT. THE. REFRAIN AT THE CROWD AGAIN. SHOUT. THE. REFRAIN AT THE CROWD AGAIN.

User avatar
BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 524
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:18 pm
Real name: Stormy
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V
Location: San Angelo, TX
Contact:

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:05 am

9mm wrote:for several years in the late 90s early 00s it was everyone trying to sound like futurepop VNV clones, then there was a backlash of people wanting to get more aggressive, so they all started copying suicide commando and lo and behold you get terror ebm. the bastard child of manson evil and semi harsh trance. and in the end, everyone sounds like carbon copies. it's just a boring uninspired time to be a industrial fan...

i miss the experimental nature of the 80s, and the social/political rhetoric, the art house boundry pushing, like early skinny puppy, spk, foetus, h**l even the sheer fun and funk/disco fusion of thrill kill.

BlackGnosis
as for drums . for that sound i do good with a little distortion, filter, compression and reverb. whether drum machine or samples its all how you layer on the fx.
I dont want to become a VNV clone, I have no intention of even coming close to VNV, I enjoy the band however I like the edgy agressive feel, something you can use as the murder track of a movie, something like that. thank you for the drum advice, I haven't thought of filtering the samples yet ^^ but Ill get to work on that right away =)
Image
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Post Reply