Suspended MIDI Manufacturer IDs

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Suspended MIDI Manufacturer IDs

Post by cornutt » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:38 pm

I was going through the list of MIDI manufacturer IDs at the MMA's Web site (www.midi.org), and some names jumped out at me from the list of manufacturers who have failed to renew their IDs:

Roger Linn Design
TC-Helicon
Event Electronics
Apogee
Propellerhead Software
Vermona

Needless to say, some of these surprised me... :shock:

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:14 pm

:o

Apogee...
Didn't they also made DOS games?
soundcloud.com/vectron

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:27 am

How does this work? What happens with legacy machines- some people still send sysex to their OB-8s, for example...

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:40 am

madtheory wrote:How does this work? What happens with legacy machines- some people still send sysex to their OB-8s, for example...
I wonder about that too. The wording that introduces the list on the MMA Web site sort of implies that all IDs assigned prior to 1996 are considered permanent. Of course, that doesn't solve the whole problem. However, the name space for the extended manuf ID format is pretty large. Presumably they won't actually reassign revoked IDs until they need them, so that puts the problem off for a good while.

I suppose that when 2030 or so rolls around, you may not be able to put your OB-8 on the same cable with the latest Wave-o-Matic Model X. Of course, by then, those DIN serial cables won't be in use any more (he says... :shock: ).

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:58 am

Don't Panic

Kenton will make an adapter for Model X.
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

WDW

Re: Suspended MIDI Manufacturer IDs

Post by WDW » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 am

cornutt wrote:Needless to say, some of these surprised me... :shock:
The failure to pay could be for a lot of reasons besides not wanting to be a member of MIDI.org or not being interested in having a unique ID.

I co-founded a couple of international standards organizations and sat on the boards of directors for the better part of a decade, and I learned that even very active, very committed companies fail to pay on time. Lost invoices, invoices going to the wrong person/department, approval chains, IPR reviews, etc. caused delays in excess of a year sometimes.

WD

energetik

Re: Suspended MIDI Manufacturer IDs

Post by energetik » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:21 am

WDW wrote:
cornutt wrote:Needless to say, some of these surprised me... :shock:
The failure to pay could be for a lot of reasons besides not wanting to be a member of MIDI.org or not being interested in having a unique ID.

I co-founded a couple of international standards organizations and sat on the boards of directors for the better part of a decade, and I learned that even very active, very committed companies fail to pay on time. Lost invoices, invoices going to the wrong person/department, approval chains, IPR reviews, etc. caused delays in excess of a year sometimes.

WD
Or mergers. My wife works for a company that deals in secure data storage, and her job is to figure out why company X isn't paying their bill and deal with the representatives accordingly. (her end is civil, after her their records go to the shredder trucks) As an example of crossed invoices: She's currently working on sorting out the different accounts of ATT&T and Cingular who merged a year and half ago. No one in this supposedly merged company wants to deal with the other's bills.

That was a bit off topic, but could explain a few things. I doubt it means any of those companies are out.
Modulate er... MODERATE THIS!

Dr. Sound

Post by Dr. Sound » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:01 am

what ever happened to MIDI being replaced by LAN technology?

there was talk of this in the late 90s..

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:57 am

Dr. Sound wrote:what ever happened to MIDI being replaced by LAN technology?

there was talk of this in the late 90s..
i think yamaha murdered the concept with crappy capability with M-LAN

logicalhippo

Post by logicalhippo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:41 am

I'm amazed the MIDI standard hasn't been revised since its inception - there's a lot of obvious improvements to be made. It wouldn't even be hard to make it backwards compatible. Faster speed so I can have my polyphonic aftertouch!

EDIT: Also, for the love of knobs, what's with manufacturers using sysex for parameter programming rather than NRPNs?

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

logicalhippo wrote:I'm amazed the MIDI standard hasn't been revised since its inception -
It was revised.

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:03 pm

logicalhippo wrote:I'm amazed the MIDI standard hasn't been revised since its inception
Actually it has been, several times. I don't know why they persist on continuing to refer to the current standard as "1.0" -- it should be up to 1.4 or 1.5 by my count. A few of the things that have been added since the original standard:

* RPNs and NRPNs
* General MIDI-related controllers
* MSB/LSB controller number assignments to extend controllers to 14 bits
* MIDI Time Code
* MIDI Machine Control