newbie needs help

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Bar2

newbie needs help

Post by Bar2 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi I am new to this forum as you can see. I am planning to buy a synthesizer but the problem is I don't know much stuff about them at all. Reason I wanna buy a synth is to create my own sounds and make some trance, industrial, ebm and dark sounding music. For example ATB, Moby, Wumpscut, and so on. So lets say i need something that can do anything from nice strings to the distorted screaming noises. I have learnt about Kawai k5k but it looks like a synth for an expert user. Interface is important for me because I am totally new to the world of synthesizers and keyboards. My budget is limited. Keyboards like roland juno d , sh 201 yamaha mm6 are what I can afford and a bit more maybe. Things that cost pretty much the same with them in the second hand market are ok too. I feel lost and confused at the moment can you guys help me? I hope to find what I am looking for as this topic goes on. Thank you... (sorry for my english , its not my main language)

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:11 am

sounds like you should start with a nice simple box mate. if you want hard synth sounds & drums go for your 201, if you want strings, piano sounds, synth sounds that aren't so hard,drums, go for your yamaha.

juno-d'll give you both, but not as good at either.

Bar2

Post by Bar2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:23 am

is there anything that combines the hard sounds and soft trance string sounds? and do you think that preset rhythm sets are essential for composing stuff? because sh 201 doesnt have that feature i think and what i read from the reviews tells me that mm6 and juno d are not capable of deep editing and creating unique sounds. are there any models that have simple interface like sh 201 but a wider sound range and effects

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:30 am

juno-d does but not much editing there. going that cheap for new stuff you have to choose between lots of sounds and editing mate, can't have both.

if you want a simple box that'll help you record sequences with preset drums and the works go for the yamaha, good little box to start you off. if you want to get deeper into editing sounds you should start with something like an Ion or an old Virus then, and hook up with a computer and software for your arranging sequencing whatnot. Not so big on the old software myself but someone here might help.
Last edited by alan partridge on Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bar2

Post by Bar2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:43 am

hmm ion looks a bit expensive for me, what do you think of Kawai k5000w and k5000s?

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:50 am

yeah older more --pro-- box, good range of sounds ( not as up-to-date though) and better value second hand . only thought you might not want to start with something more tricky, but if you're happy to put the work in, go for it mate >> sounds + editing, good older pro synth .

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:20 am

what sequencer will you b usiin?

Bar2

Post by Bar2 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:04 pm

Mpresev wrote:what sequencer will you b usiin?
i don't have any hardware sequencers but i think i can use a software like cubase for it

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:36 pm

Cool.. You said you want to make Futurepopish/VNV type music?

I think I can help you here.. The smartest and cheapest way but you'll be making records but the creativity really depends on your inpiration ofcourse.

With just a MAC or a fast PC get

1. Logic or Cubase or Sonar or Live
2. Get Vanguard, or Z3TA plug in
3. Get Reaktor 5.0 too
4. Halion sampler because it's cheaper than Kontakt
5. Battery 2 or 3 as your drum machine plug in.

6. Midi keyboard

it's all you need to make synthie pop/EBM music.
You might be better than Apoptigma Berzerk :wink:

Don't worry about the quality of sounds because you think your using softsynths but times have change and they sound good these days.. Bottom line is it's good enough to put out a high quality demo. :wink:

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:39 am

Bar2 wrote:hmm ion looks a bit expensive for me
You can have the Ion for less than $400 used. In my opinion it's far better than the SH201, and especially the the Juno (it ROMpler c**p, not a real synth.) Or you can go with some free software first to as to see what you like. There's always the Roland JP8000, possibly one of the most famous for dance/trace. Though I've never played one from what I've heard it's pretty good. Here's a link to some sounds and info:
http://www.synthmania.com/jp-8000.htm

But from personal experience the Ion is a great synth and can cover many things.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:29 am

Box, I just heard some of the JP mp3 patches and they sound really great.. This is perfect for synthpop..

Bar2

Post by Bar2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 pm

Mpresev wrote:Cool.. You said you want to make Futurepopish/VNV type music?

I think I can help you here.. The smartest and cheapest way but you'll be making records but the creativity really depends on your inpiration ofcourse.

With just a MAC or a fast PC get

1. Logic or Cubase or Sonar or Live
2. Get Vanguard, or Z3TA plug in
3. Get Reaktor 5.0 too
4. Halion sampler because it's cheaper than Kontakt
5. Battery 2 or 3 as your drum machine plug in.

6. Midi keyboard

it's all you need to make synthie pop/EBM music.
You might be better than Apoptigma Berzerk :wink:

Don't worry about the quality of sounds because you think your using softsynths but times have change and they sound good these days.. Bottom line is it's good enough to put out a high quality demo. :wink:
thanks for the advice but i hate using software :D even on guitar it sux to change parametres via mouse -_- don't know why really :) and Box Alesis doesn't have a distributor in Turkey and because of the laws their price gets nearly doubled here. From what I saw on the i-net sh 201 and ion costs nearly the same.This jp 8000 looks cool:) By the way I am currently thinking of geting a kawai k5000 have u ever had any experiences with it ?

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:10 pm

quote]
thanks for the advice but i hate using software :D even on guitar it sux to change parametres via mouse -_- don't know why really :) and Box Alesis doesn't have a distributor in Turkey and because of the laws their price gets nearly doubled here. From what I saw on the i-net sh 201 and ion costs nearly the same.This jp 8000 looks cool:) By the way I am currently thinking of geting a kawai k5000 have u ever had any experiences with it ?[/quote]

no I never have used Kawai but have heard of the K5000. :wink:

Bar2

Post by Bar2 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:53 pm

a question, the string sounds give the happy feeling in trance songs usually, what makes darkwave dark? distortion? not all the sounds have distortiion effect but they still sound dark , how q.q

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 pm

Bar2 wrote:a question, the string sounds give the happy feeling in trance songs usually, what makes darkwave dark? distortion? not all the sounds have distortiion effect but they still sound dark , how q.q
To get a "dark" sound you'd turn down the frequency. But let me clarify. You can find Ion or SH-201 for $400 or less on eBay. The JP-8000 for some reason or another is selling for $500+, even though it's 5 years older. Guaranteed this is probably due to it's popularity in dance music.
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!