How many synths does a man need?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:52 pm

As many as you possibly can. If I had the money I'd have a collection that would even put a museum to shame. But for me a few analogue poly's and I'm good. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:57 pm

I only need two.. But I can work on only one synth though.. If it would be 1 synth it would be the Voyager..

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:36 am

but how many women/men should a man sleep with before he settles down :?:
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:55 am

I say you need.......

1. A decent mono
2. A decent poly
3. A decent stringer
4. A decent organ
5. A decent electric piano
6. A couple or one rack "rom"
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:38 am

One, two, three then crunch. Answer 3.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:43 am

Counted my sig now..11 is what I need.
11 is the magic number.

But then there's always the elusive ones like Jupiter-8, PPG Wave, Prophet5, Elka Synthex. And the list goes on and on.

We're like hunters. WHen you get to a certain point in your hunting carreer, you get bored of hunting for common prey. You want the really special, elusive, legendary dragon of Ak'athosh.

JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 am

tallowwaters wrote:but how many women/men should a man sleep with before he settles down :?:
Polyamory!

L.I.V.E. 101

Post by L.I.V.E. 101 » Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:19 am

:lol:
Last edited by L.I.V.E. 101 on Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:10 am

JackAstro wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:but how many women/men should a man sleep with before he settles down :?:
Polyamory!
As opposed to the usual monoamory... Of course, the problem is that you can keep a synth a lot cheaper than you can keep a woman. Unless it's a CS80...

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:25 am

I think one could get by nicely with 3.

Budget set:
Yamaha YS-200 (FM and controller)
Roland MKS-50 (DCO poly analog)
Korg TR Rack (Rompler and a bit of VA)

I have all of these and they sound great and blend together nicely.

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:51 am

Hmm.. let me think about this. Depends very much on what you 'are' or what are you 'doing'.

Everyone knows there are much more important things in the studio, than 'another' synth. If you got no synth, okay, you need atleast one. I recommend buying music theory book instead of that expensive vintage synth.

People really dont 'need' synths, they have this list, what they're going to buy next and then after that and then suddenly they wonder why they're not using the first synth, and they sell that to another 'synths wanted'-list owner :D.

Does that 'extra' synth make your music better ?. Does it make you a better musician ?. If you're sound designer (or synth collector) - yes, you need good arsenal of tools to do what ever is your goal.

This came out well :D.
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:58 am

route_electrique wrote:Does that 'extra' synth make your music better ?. Does it make you a better musician ?. If you're sound designer (or synth collector) - yes, you need good arsenal of tools to do what ever is your goal.
Yes It does. When I bought the Moog Voyager I realized soon how much this synth changed my music. Thinking in a "mono way" changed my music flow. It's sound changed my music. Simply switching from sw to hw changed everything. Now I'm trying to avoid sw FX and start collecting some analog FX... this will change again my music and my music developing flow. Better ? I don't know... I feel it's much better than before... But I'm not saying that 100 synth makes you a god... I'm saying that having different kind of synthesis makes your ideas fly more than having tons of romplers with 1500 piano preset.

mirt

Post by mirt » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:58 am

Does that 'extra' synth make your music better ?. Does it make you a better musician ?

It depends on you. You can buy new synth and learn new things and become better musician but it's not the solution for the lack of skills.
Your music could be better with many synths but it also can be cripple for you. you could have to many synths and can't focus on music you made.

I think that i need 3 mono synths with different sound and posibilities, i have ms10 for dirty or agresive sounds, cs5 for crispy and lush sounds and pro one when i need modulation or something between.
I need all of my poly's, i need k station on gigs but i don't need it in studio.

I don't need romplers, i don't need wavetables etc.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:18 pm

I think I will be nearly happy with my synths as they are, but only time will tell!

I have:
Waldorf Pulse for mono/analog stuff
Yamaha CS1x for controlling and various stuff
Microkorg for messed up sounds
and
A blofeld on pre order and hopefully it will complement these nicely.

All I need then is a decent module for piano! or a piano!

as said before though, It depends what your doing?

Edit: I think I will definately stop buying synth fro a while as I find having more gear makes me less productive, less gear means I get to know them better.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:57 pm

One PC, running Halion3, FM8 and a few analogue clones.

But before I went to software, I shared the one-synth-of-a-type philosophy. Tho regarding FM it's a bit tricky as the FS1r and SY77 are quite different and none is 100% better than the other.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids