How many synths does a man need?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
thestreets
Gear: Maschine Mikro, Electribe ESX, KP3, Korg R3, Microkorg.

Post by thestreets » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:15 am

Amen. I would say that is the mathematical representation of GAS.

If I see a synth I like and doesn't sound like any I already have...chances are im gonna get it.

Uncle Screwtape
Gear: Access Virus Indigo
Alesis ion
Arturia MiniBrute SE
DSI Mopho
Novation KS4
Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Roland TR-707
Korg DDD-5
Korg Volcas (4)
Band: Uncle Screwtape

Re: 4tgtthy6

Post by Uncle Screwtape » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:40 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:
AlanC wrote:How many synths?

N + 1, where N is the number currently owned. :wink:
We have a winner!
That we do. :lol:
Agreed.
Your... affectionate uncle,
-Screwtape

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:22 am

N+1 - correct answer we could close this thread. :D

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:23 pm

You guys wouldn't think you needed so many synths if you weren't shacked up by yourselves in your unabomber-style studios.

1 synth + other people with other instruments = music.

differentbydesign

Post by differentbydesign » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:29 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:You guys wouldn't think you needed so many synths if you weren't shacked up by yourselves in your unabomber-style studios.

That is but 1 form of music and not the most creative or interesting in my opinion. As an example compare Brian Eno with Foreigner !

Back on topic. I have always been of the opinion that each synth makes only a few special sounds and I rely on those sounds for inspiration. Therefor as many as either you can afford or as many as required to keep you inspired.
I have a simple rule "Never Sell Anything".

Rgds

Ross
UF6, Pro 2K, 6 Tracks, SQR, DX-9, JV-880, JV-1080, MKS-70 , NI FM-7&8,Battery 3,Pro53,Absynth 4 Arturia MOOG Modular,2600V,CS-80 V, Minimoog V, Legacy Collection, RGC Pentagon,VirSyn Tera, Sonar 6.2, , Synth 1, MOTU Microlite, D-70, RX-11,Roland MC-500

wilsontherocker

Post by wilsontherocker » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:42 pm

tallowwaters wrote:my girlfriend wants me to tell you she likes the freida song. (i am partial to the synth part myself)
Awesome! :thumbright:

route_electrique
Gear: Clavia Nordlead 2 | Clavia Nord Modular G1 | Waldorf Microwave XT (30 Voice) |
Band: waveformbakery

Post by route_electrique » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:37 pm

differentbydesign wrote: I have a simple rule "Never Sell Anything".
+1 for this. I did and i miss my Moog Prodigy a lot!.
| Fact is, your are going to get bent over by a Record Company..... its just how far, how long and if you let them decide to use vaseline or not." -Unknown |
_
http://www.waveformbakery.com [coming in Q3!]

Ian S

Post by Ian S » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:45 am

I agree with my fellow Yorkshireman; n+1 (which if I don't count the samplers & the piano module means 11, at the moment ;) ).
Casio PX-320, Odyssey Mk.1, Multiman-S, Andromeda A6, DW-8000, JD-800, Yamaha DX11, AN1x, & SK30, E&MM/Maplin Spectrum, Akai S3000XL, E-Mu Proformance 1, Esi-32, & Classic Keys, Alesis D4, Rickenbacker 4001.

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:49 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:You guys wouldn't think you needed so many synths if you weren't shacked up by yourselves in your unabomber-style studios.
….
:lol:

but synths are the only friends we have. :oops:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:00 am

differentbydesign wrote:

That is but 1 form of music and not the most creative or interesting in my opinion. As an example compare Brian Eno with Foreigner !
I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove, Brian Eno is best known for collaborating with other musicians as a producer. He played in Roxy Music with other musicians and most of his solo work is recorded with other musicians. He also is possibly the biggest proponent of just having one or two synths and knowing them well rather than having a room full of them.

technomonster

Post by technomonster » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:58 am

minimum 20

that is why i cant write a good piece - because i only have 10

serious!!

AlanC

Post by AlanC » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 pm

Ian S wrote:I agree with my fellow Yorkshireman; n+1 (which if I don't count the samplers & the piano module means 11, at the moment ;) ).
Let's see now: DX7, TX802, SY77, Motif XS6, Tenori-On, JP-8000, Prophecy, NM1, NMG2X, CT201...

Damn. He's one ahead of me.

Must. Resist. Temptation.... :lol:

differentbydesign

Post by differentbydesign » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:22 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
differentbydesign wrote:

I'm not sure what that's supposed to prove, Brian Eno is best known for collaborating with other musicians as a producer. He played in Roxy Music with other musicians and most of his solo work is recorded with other musicians. He also is possibly the biggest proponent of just having one or two synths and knowing them well rather than having a room full of them.
The point was simple to compare someone geekish who spends huge ammounts of time in a studio and a bunch of Real people rocking out .I was not passing judgement on either method just responding to the stupid Unabomber comment in a previous post.
I am just a bit tired with the Rock and Roll is Real crowd!

Rgds

Ross
UF6, Pro 2K, 6 Tracks, SQR, DX-9, JV-880, JV-1080, MKS-70 , NI FM-7&8,Battery 3,Pro53,Absynth 4 Arturia MOOG Modular,2600V,CS-80 V, Minimoog V, Legacy Collection, RGC Pentagon,VirSyn Tera, Sonar 6.2, , Synth 1, MOTU Microlite, D-70, RX-11,Roland MC-500

mirt

Post by mirt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:44 pm

i have the band and i'm also working on solo projects and some duos. i can't tell when i'll need only one synth or instrument (trumpet, guitar) and when i'll take much more.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:49 pm

I actually want to stay with a steady 1 unit of 8 I/O midi interface, 1 rack of synths and 1 keyboard..but failed.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums