Yamaha CS-10

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:16 am

DigitalDisko wrote:Hey Guys. The shipping didn't turn out to be too bad. I paid $60 for the shipping from Japan to LA...the problem is that it will take 4-6 weeks for me to get it. Vintage synths are getting more expensive everyday and harder to come by. I guess that's good news for all of us who have them but it can hurt the wallet when you purchase one! A couple years ago people got some great deals on these synths..check out the Harmony Central user reviews and you'll see what I mean.
always the bargain hunter, I've done pretty well with both my CS15 and CS30... the latter, bought a couple months ago WITH shipping from Australia only came to $830? :D needless to say I was pretty happy with that! deals can still be had.

(and on that note, my CS15 -just serviced by Machinegeist- will be on sale shortly!)
Do you even post on vse bro?

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:30 am

My GAS is now directed heavily towards a CS-30.... I don't have the money, but I know I'm getting one soon. I just know I won't be able to resist it. The thought of getting a CS-30 just makes other synths sound boring.

Minimoog: njaa
Odyssey: hmmm perhaps
MS-20: not really

CS-30 : A monosynth the size of a small house! More knobs than the friggin' space shuttle! Yes please!
Monkey business since 2007!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:43 am

Sexor wrote:My GAS is now directed heavily towards a CS-30.... I don't have the money, but I know I'm getting one soon. I just know I won't be able to resist it. The thought of getting a CS-30 just makes other synths sound boring.

Minimoog: njaa
Odyssey: hmmm perhaps
MS-20: not really

CS-30 : A monosynth the size of a small house! More knobs than the friggin' space shuttle! Yes please!
yeah, I felt exactly the same way before I got it... and now that I have it, well :D it is fantastic, and also fantastically quirky. For example, neither cross-mod or vco 1 detune can be used when both oscs are being triggered by the sequencer... and the sequencer can only be used to modulate VCF 2 filter frequency, and that happens only when vco 1 is being modulated by the seq, and vco 2 isn't! Mind you, no where in the manual does it tell you any of this... weird. oh, and the single LFO is a weakness... it may be ok for the 5/10/15, but at this level, you would have thought they could find the space for a second one!
well, everything has its quirks and what do you expect from something like this. Yamaha were never ones for the simplistic approach. and this thing goes far beyond what most mere mortal monos can do, so you accept it and get on with making bizarre stereo filter sounds! :lol:

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I have a CS-10, no samples right now, but I might make some for you tomorrow. (I was going to sample it anyway for my nephew.)

I run mine through a little 30 watt bass amp (1x10) and it sounds excellent.

Also, a little delay goes a long way. I use a guitar pedal delay.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:05 pm

Here's a CS-10 in action:
http://www.madtheory.com/mp3s/Numbers.mp3

And a CS-5 feeding into a CS-10:
http://www.madtheory.com/mp3s/Revelation.mp3

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:46 pm

madtheory wrote:Here's a CS-10 in action:
http://www.madtheory.com/mp3s/Numbers.mp3

And a CS-5 feeding into a CS-10:
http://www.madtheory.com/mp3s/Revelation.mp3
sweet! really like that second sample. flute sound is very flute-like... and the envs sound surprisingly punchy... i guess it depends how you hear these things. I have to listen to everything through a stupid practice amp right now so it generally sounds wack.
I really want to post some cs30 samples, but I can't record anything now... maybe once I get the CS15 back, I can connect them all for a CS-orgy..

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:59 pm

The CS synths are just doing the sequencer stuff in both those tracks- that's a Mellotron flute on a Yamaha TX 16W.

But, yes, it is a very punchy synth, very under rated. Until now! THose prices are getting silly.

DigitalDisko

Post by DigitalDisko » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:55 am

those are some sweet tracks madtheory. Is that a filtered saw wave for the second track? Awesome stuff..very Kraftwerk inspired

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:03 pm

DigitalDisko wrote:those are some sweet tracks madtheory. Is that a filtered saw wave for the second track? Awesome stuff..very Kraftwerk inspired
Y'know what, I can't remember- but since the CS only does square, saw or square with PWM, it's easy to get sounds back just by ear. It's one of the great things about it actually- it's a basic synth, but it's quite hard to get a bad sound out of it. The CS01 was the zenith of that approach- that synth is all sweet spots!

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:02 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
madtheory wrote: And a CS-5 feeding into a CS-10:
flute sound is very flute-like...
The CS-10 does an absolutely beautiful flute, one of the best I've ever heard from a synth and far better than any rompler. However, just like with many other analog monosynths, you get that perfect sound one day, but can't find it the next.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:15 pm

The flute sound used to be one of my faves on the CS-5. I must dial it up again and try it on the CS-10. The naturally sweet tone of the filter works very well for soft sounds like that.

Personally I think it's easy to recall sounds on a CS-5 or 10, but sometimes one might have a different idea of what it sounded like originally, because of mood! A digital photo works very well for patch storage I find.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:07 am

I just tried a CS-10 for the first time tonight.... my friend just got one. Compared to my favourite mono, the SH-101, I found it not as versatile but it sounds more raw. It could really do with a sub-oscillator. The multi mode filters and switchable envelope speeds are really sweet. I'm on the lookout for a CS-15 or CS-30 though.
Monkey business since 2007!

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:35 pm

FWIW: the Yamaha CS-10 (or possibly CS-15) was the only synth used in the making of Spandau Ballet's debut album "Journey To Glory" (1981).

The main riff on 'To Cut A Long Story Short' was done by double-tracking
the CS-10.

Image = Image
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:08 am

Those who've heard my rant about my CS-10's before know that I'm probably the biggest fan of the CS-10. I've had two, sold the first one and regretted it 2 hours later - bought a new one and had to get rid of it later on to afford building an ASM2-Wizard. Now, I'd love to own one again, but considering the many extra features of the CS-15, and the fact that I've already owned it twice before, I see no reason to save up for a CS-10 again. The CS-15 is, as mentioned before, in many ways twice as good as the 10.

The CS filter is a GREAT filter! I actually enjoyed the fact the filter just 'spiced up' the sound at high resonance levels rather than making the incoming sound duller and the filter itself to self-oscillate. This is especially good for wobbly basses and brassy leads. The PWM is probably the best in the world too. It's not as flexible nor crisp as other PWMs but it's very bassy, deep and, pardon me for using the word, fat. Yes, the PWM of the CS-10 is fat.

Remember: it's no moog and it's not supposed to be either

Regardsless of which CS-synth you choose, it's the right choice (except maybe for the CS-15D, it's not that good actually)

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am

The CS15 does the most lovely dual-saw lead I know of. With lowered filter cutoff it just sounds gorgeous.