Yamaha CS-10

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DigitalDisko

Post by DigitalDisko » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:30 am

Great, thanks for the review VCO. I am still really interested to hear audio examples and user experiences with looping the audio output back into the external input. One person said you get some awesome feedback. Also, if you were to detune the looped audio..do you think it can simulate a second oscillator and get that dirty chorus effect?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:36 am

So I have a cs-15 coming soon. I'm wondering how that works sending the output back in... I have to get some sort of splitter? Thats the only way?

Yeah if anyone has any time to make a demo of a cs-10 or 15 feeding back into itself I would be sooooo stoked!

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:37 am

I put my Ibanez Stereo Chorus pedal in the feedback chain once - pretty cool effect, but not that useful. However, putting a distortion pedal in the feedback chain is REALLY cool. I used this setup several times when recording using my Tube Screamer TS-9 pedal. Delay effects are also cool, especially at short delay times and high feedback levels.

The CS-10 really squeals when the output is routed back to the external input if the input level is high. I never really thought the 'minimoog fattening trick' (feedback, soft ext. in level for just a little bass boost) worked that good with the CS-10. For FX it was perfect though
Last edited by VCO on Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:41 am

nadafarms wrote:I'm wondering how that works sending the output back in... I have to get some sort of splitter? Thats the only way?
That's ONE way of doing it, but the best way is to just connect the synth to a mixer and route one of the effect sends to the external input of the CS-10. This way, changing the EQ setting on your mixer may result in dramatic changes in sound AND you'll be able to route multiple sound sources to the synth at the same time while having total control of the individual sound sources send level

DigitalDisko

Post by DigitalDisko » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:16 am

Those are some cool tricks. Do you have any audio examples you could post? Also, you guys have probably checked these out, but there are some pretty cool CS-10 examples on YouTube:

(this guy inputs an external synth)

(this guy is having way to much fun, rock on! Is it anybody here?)

DigitalDisko

Post by DigitalDisko » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:20 am

nadafarms, how much did you end up paying for your CS-15? Where did you find it? you're going to be stoked..it's twice the CS-10!

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:33 am

nadafarms wrote:I'm wondering how that works sending the output back in... I have to get some sort of splitter? Thats the only way?
The CS-15 has 2 outputs. I connect the low output to the mixer and feed the high output back in.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Ski

Post by Ski » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:16 pm

Even if only for the nostalgia, you should check out the original "Synthesizer Patch Charts" book for CS10/30/30L. It's available free from the Yamaha Manual Library at the following link:
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi ... CS30E2.pdf

While made specifically for the CS10, CS30, and CS30L, the patches are easily adaptable to the CS5 and CS15. This PDF started life as a ripped, torn, coffee stained, and heavily annotated original copy owned by a friend. God bless Photoshop! =)

You can also get a clean blank patch chart for the CS15 from the following link:
http://www.ex5tech.com/zTemp/CS-15_PatchTemplate.zip

And here are links a few old CS monosynth topics at EX5Tech that may contain some useful info for new owners:
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... 2&t=000035
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... 2&t=000022
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... 2&t=000016
http://www.ex5tech.com/ex5ubb_cgi/ultim ... 2&t=000004

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:56 pm

Ski wrote:Even if only for the nostalgia, you should check out the original "Synthesizer Patch Charts" book for CS10/30/30L. It's available free from the Yamaha Manual Library at the following link:

While made specifically for the CS10, CS30, and CS30L, the patches are easily adaptable to the CS5 and CS15. This PDF started life as a ripped, torn, coffee stained, and heavily annotated original copy owned by a friend. God bless Photoshop!
Beautiful! Nice to have this document. I hope Yamaha appreciated your work! Thanks :)

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:26 pm

DigitalDisko wrote:nadafarms, how much did you end up paying for your CS-15? Where did you find it? you're going to be stoked..it's twice the CS-10!
I got insanely lucky IMO, I originally bought a busted up SH-2 which was barely working for $300, someone locally traded me a nice pulse+ and I traded that to a VSE member for a fully working cs-15!!!!!!!!!!

I have wanted a CS series synth forever...

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:28 pm

neandrewthal wrote:
The CS-15 has 2 outputs. I connect the low output to the mixer and feed the high output back in.
So you could avoid using a mixer in this case? By running one of the 2 outputs into the ext in?

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:32 pm

nadafarms wrote:
neandrewthal wrote:
So you could avoid using a mixer in this case? By running one of the 2 outputs into the ext in?
you don't have to involve the mixer in it to begin with, can just run a splitter from the output. pretty sure talk about Y cables is in this thread somewhere earlier.

the 15's high and low outputs would probably each cause a different reaction though.

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:55 pm

hey nadafarms are you the one that had that busted SH2 on the SF craigslist? I think I contacted you about it LOL, I have a CS15 too, if you want to jam out on em sometime

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:35 am

space6oy wrote:
nadafarms wrote:
neandrewthal wrote: The CS-15 has 2 outputs. I connect the low output to the mixer and feed the high output back in.
Nothing else is required. I've had best results running the high output back in and using the bandpass filter.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:36 pm

madtheory wrote:
Ski wrote:Even if only for the nostalgia, you should check out the original "Synthesizer Patch Charts" book for CS10/30/30L. It's available free from the Yamaha Manual Library at the following link:

While made specifically for the CS10, CS30, and CS30L, the patches are easily adaptable to the CS5 and CS15. This PDF started life as a ripped, torn, coffee stained, and heavily annotated original copy owned by a friend. God bless Photoshop!
Beautiful! Nice to have this document. I hope Yamaha appreciated your work! Thanks :)
very cool-I've seen the manual, but there are only blank patches in it. Nice to see what Yammie actually had in mind sound-wise when they desinged the CS30... space sounds and locomotives apparently! :D
I like that they include the sequencer too...
Do you even post on vse bro?