I just got my CZ-101

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
voltageHead

I just got my CZ-101

Post by voltageHead » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:39 am

I just got my self a Casio CZ-101.I bought it off ebay.I like it quite abit.I download the patch editor/libary utility thing.For midi transfer of sounds.

Retro sounds.
Anyone else here like these things.
[img][img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... 01pic2.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb14 ... 01pic1.jpg[/img][/img]

wvcttr
Gear: Dem blinkin' lights sure look pur-dee.

Post by wvcttr » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:41 am

Congratulations on your purchase... I'm in the process of trading my cz-101 away, actually. I never got into it. I'm sure if I took the time to get some software, the cz-101 could have made an impression... but I have too much other gear that doesn't get used.

one man's garbage... etc etc.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding support. VSE is full of cz-101 lovers and their are tons of sites with patches and so forth.

Have a blast...
+-wvCttr]

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:42 am

I had one, regret selling it though :(
but I don't regret getting $500 for it :D

anyways, it's a great synth for ($200MAX), hard to program+boring and it's very noisy :?
plus, the electricity always cuts out (I've tried 2 and it did on both, and no I didn't have the "auto-power-off" function on ;))
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:45 am

Ahh, so it's not just me. I picked up a CZ-1000 recently, and the power cord falls out of the jack -- or just stops making proper contact, if not completely falling out -- at the slightest nudge. Guess I'll just have to get batteries for it and take full advantage of the portability. Although 6 rechargeable D-cells will cost me nearly as much as I paid for the synth ($60).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:47 am

Well I just got my CZ-1000 back from the repair shop after a couple of months and $175 worth of fixing and I still love the beast. I've said it before but not many digital synths have as much character (in my opinion) as the CZ series.
I reckon the synth engine would be a h**l of a lot more boring if it weren't for that ring modulator. Instant glitched out, scratchy fun.

If you're not expecting anything Hi-Fi it's a blast. Just appreciate it for it's knack for making some pretty god-awful noises.

Enjoy!

Arddhu

Post by Arddhu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:53 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Ahh, so it's not just me. I picked up a CZ-1000 recently, and the power cord falls out of the jack -- or just stops making proper contact, if not completely falling out -- at the slightest nudge. Guess I'll just have to get batteries for it and take full advantage of the portability. Although 6 rechargeable D-cells will cost me nearly as much as I paid for the synth ($60).
Well I guess I was lucky in that department as the previous owner replaced the DC jack with a 3.5mm type so now it locks in super-tight.

But alas, if it ain't your cuppa tea, there'e not a lot you can do about that!

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:09 pm

congrats on the CZ. I think the CZ series are great fun to program. Not half as difficult as most digital synths.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:06 pm

How could you not like the one responsible for the bassline on Salt and Peppa's PUSH IT!

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 pm

How could you not like the one responsible for the bassline on Salt n' Peppa's PUSH IT!

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:16 pm

In a brief moment of insanity while cleaning out a bunch of stuff in the basement I took my CZ-101 and donated it to the Salvation Army, still regret it too. I can only hope it might've made a difference in somebody's life who might not have had the opportunity otherwise.

Back in the 80's I composed an entire album on cassette using just the CZ-101 and Casio VL-tone.
I used a cheap Radio Shack reverb I had put together, a cheap Radio Shack mixer and 2 Sanyo tape decks..after about 4 bounces it sounded like it was recorded under a bed mattress.lol
Still have the tape tho. :)
I was still using it when I advanced to a Tascam Porta 1 4 track.
Have fun.

ianjhicks
Gear: 808, 707, pro one, juno 60, jx3p, juno 106
Band: Soft Metals

Post by ianjhicks » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:39 pm

nice, I just got my cz1000 out the otherday and was messing around with it, that 8 stage envelope is awesome! What library/ patch editor did you get? Anyone know if there's one for Mac OSX?

MrHope
No Longer Registered

Post by MrHope » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:24 pm

I used to have a 101 and a 5000. I feel stupid now for selling them. I didn't realise they are classics at the time.

I'm glad you like yours though. Cheers.

logicalhippo

Post by logicalhippo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Nice! I love my CZ-5000, which I believe has the same synth engine. I don't think it's boring at all - there's some great smooth basses and buzzy leads to be had! Very aggressive, very digital yet not DX7.

Definitely edit in software though - I can't believe they were so cheap they didn't put a data slider on it!! Also the MIDI sucks - you can't control parameters individually!

Incidentally - PD is off-patent now, right? Are there any other hardware synths with PD?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 pm

devetron

Post by devetron » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:10 am

free CZ patch editor here:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/olivar.prem ... czedit.htm
I have not tried it but I installed it and it looks cool.