Analog Bass Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

Analog Bass Synth

Post by stevebirss » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:30 am

So after using a few virtual analog synths, I have decided to go analog. I really need a synth to deliver some killer leads and some thumping bass. So, I need your opinions. I have used the Korg Legacy Collection and decided that even though I've never played a real one, the MS-20 has some of my favorite bass sounds. But I also know that Moog and bass are pretty much synonymous. Please give me your opinions and tell me what has the best bass/lead sounds.
- Moog Prodigy
- Moog Rogue
- Moog Little Phatty
- Korg MS-20
- Yamaha CS-5
- Yamaha CS-10

Thanks everyone for your input. The one I am leaning towards most right now is the Little Phatty, pretty much for the simple fact that a) it's Moog, so it will probably be awesome. And b) it's new, so if I have any problems, it will be a little easier to have repaired.
Peace
steve

drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:08 am

Personally, I've only tried out the Little Phatty and the MS-20. I guess I'm a littled biased because I own the MS-20. But the MS-20 has this sound that just cuts through steel. The bass is thick, the leads scream. It is also very versatile because of the patching system, the ESP (External Signal Processor) has a filter that makes anything you plug into it sound insane. It is also very good for sound effects. It costs a bit more than a Little Phatty (especially if it is the Stage Edition of the Phatty), but I think it is better in the long run because these thing seem to be getting more and more expensive by the day. I think if you get one now and wait a while and decide to sell it, you can make some money. The Phatty is nice, but I just think the MS-20 has a better sound and more versatility. My thoughts.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:29 am

I hate that the LP isn't velocity sensitive! Its 2007 for crying out loud.

The LP does kick arse on every other aspect, and dude just get a LP cause where F are you gonna even find an MS-20.

Seriously get an LP and frostwave resonator and run the LP through it! The filter is what realy makes the MS-20 what it is, I don't have the patience or memory to perform on a ms-20 reliably while drunk in front of a crowd on a dark stage... so gimme some patch storage woo!

stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

Post by stevebirss » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:52 am

Any opinions on the 'ol MS-10. It seems pretty cool, but I think I might just be wishing it was a 20 the whole time I owned it. Any owners have an opinion?

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:18 am

imo the best choice is ms20 or ms10 if you need dirty, agresive, or realy strong and low bass, if you need something smooth good choice could be yamaha cs.
moog never was my dream, to many people use moog bass and there is to many other synths emulating or trying to emulate moogs

imo for bass there is no need for 2vco but pwm could be usefull so i don't think to much about ms 20

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:47 pm

nadafarms wrote:I hate that the LP isn't velocity sensitive! Its 2007 for crying out loud.
!
Actually the LP is velocity sensitive, but only for filter cutoff sensitivity. It will send MIDI velocity info as well, just no aftertouch of any kind or release velocity.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Korg MS-20 make some really great Bass Sound...Even the envelopes are not the fastest in the bunch.

Yamaha CS serie has much faster envelopes.

One synth that you should consider too, for really big bass sound, Maxikorg or 800DV.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 pm

How about a Roland SH? The SH-09 and SH-2 are two of the finest Bass synths.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:41 pm

The Little Phatty is solid choice for bass - I can say that much.

miket156

Post by miket156 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:58 pm

You forgot one really good choice, the Moog Source. Yeah, the touch front panel gets a bad rap, but in terms of the Moog sound, you won't get a better sounding Moog bass and lead synth for the price. Typically going for about $750 or so in good condition. Its a lot less expensive than a Moog LP and its a LOT more capable. Its the closest thing you'll ever hear next to a Taurus I pedal board.

Mike T.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 am

VCO
Gear: Yamaha CS-15, Roland JD-800, Doepfer A-100 modular, various Novation stuff.

Post by VCO » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:16 am

Yamaha CS-10/15 for sure! They're snappy, yet bass heavy.
The Pro One might be up your alley too, it depends on which type of bass sound you're after

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:15 am

miket156 wrote:Its a lot less expensive than a Moog LP and its a LOT more capable.
In what ways is it much more capable? I didn't think there was too much of a difference between the features of the Source and the LP.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:42 am

OriginalJambo wrote:
miket156 wrote:Its a lot less expensive than a Moog LP and its a LOT more capable.
In what ways is it much more capable? I didn't think there was too much of a difference between the features of the Source and the LP.
I'd like to know how its more capable as well. Don't get me wrong, the source is a very cool synth but "a LOT more capable"? Spec wise the only thing the source seems to have over the LP is a limited appregiator/sequencer. The LP has reliability, solid functioning midi, lots more patch storage, an easy to use interface with at least a few more knobs :P , *possibly another waveform on both VCO's and the LFO, *possibly more mod routing, some CV controls for somewhat modular expansion, 1 more octave on each osc. I've seen used LP's go for as little as $900 and can be found new for $1050. The last few sources on ebay went for $900-$1300. I think the determining factor would be whether you wanted vintage or new but I would say the LP is a little more capable than the source.

*I say possibly because I haven't found a full spec sheet, this is what I've gathered from what I can find on the source.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:23 pm

miket156 wrote:You forgot one really good choice, the Moog Source. ... Its a lot less expensive than a Moog LP and its a LOT more capable.
whoa...sorry to be the one to rub it in but that's ignoring quite a bit on the LP there, mike.

such as: the waveforms of forward & reverse ramp, filterEG and S&H to the LFO, plus 2 more destinations than the Source offers.
The filter adds veloctiy sensitivity, key tracking, 1-4 pole configuration (genius) and the outstanding Overload circuit makes hamburgers taste like steakburgers :)
Oscillator waveshape is fully transitionable & modulatable (also genius and beautiful-sounding) - a lot more flexible than having just pwm on pule only. Combined w/ osc sync and overload this sounds like nothing else - a more spacy, sploogy Moog tone saturated in harmonic detail.
add Comprehensive MIDI and user-upgradeable OS. 3 CV jack ins (!!!) plus audio in. More durable , newer hardware, better quality wheels and more knobs.

The only thing the Source has got that the LP doesn't are the arp/seq, noise generator (LP has useful but limited 'noise modulation' instead), the ball-bearing input dial and those snazzy orange/blue BurgerKing graphics :wink:
Last edited by shaft9000 on Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies