Dark/Moody Synth for Ambient/Electronic music

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Minerva

Dark/Moody Synth for Ambient/Electronic music

Post by Minerva » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:20 pm

Hello there.

I'm really into dark, haunting type music and I'm looking for a Synth that will help me in producing dark, ambient electronic music... I prefer the more digital sounds rather than the analog Synths and I know this site is called Vingtage Synth so I apologise but I remember asking a question here a few years ago and I remembered the people being really friendly here so I thought I'd ask another...

I'm also in a post-rock ambient kind of band so I would also like to use this Synth in a live situation if that's possible... My budget is around £400 ($800) but can be increased if there is a Synth out there which is worth the cash...

I haven't really done much research as of yet to be honest. I wanted to ask on here first so it would give me a good starting point as to what I should look out for...

So thank you in advance for the help!

Kind regards,
-Alex.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:22 pm

This has nothing to do with a specific synth, but rather how you program it. Get any synth and start creating patches.

severen

Post by severen » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:28 pm

waldorf micro q, q, microwave i, ii, xt or blodfeld!
:headbang:

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:33 pm

sounds like you want one of these mate : http://tinyurl.com/2xqhze

stevebirss
Gear: G5 Powermac
Cubase 4
Korg Legacy
EW Bosendorfer 290
SS Atmosphere
NI Komplete
uTonic
Moog LP Stage
Prophet 600
Rhodes 73 Mk I
Yamaha CP70
Band: Stars From Streetlights

Post by stevebirss » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:29 pm

Hey mate, if you have a computer, I would highly suggest a software synth by Spectrasonics called Atmosphere. It is phenomenal for soundscapes and textures. But I would also have to agree with
maindeglorie and say, it's not about the synth, it's about the player. I have been using a bunch of different synths/instruments for about 7 years creating ambient music, and it doesn't REALLY matter what you have as long as you know how to use it. If you are looking for a specific sound (ie. really good piano, awesome bass synth, screaching leads, etc) then your synth matters, but if all you want to do is make textures, and good ambient sounds, honestly just buy something good quality, and learn how to use it.
Peace
steve

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:52 pm

JD-800/990 and Absynth

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:28 pm

I'll be odd man out and suggest a Korg Radias. Ignore the factory presets which are bright and trancey.

Radias lets you use up to four layers in a single sound. Each layer has THREE sequencers for modulation, two tempo syncable LFOs, six mod matrix slots, three EGs and dual tempo syncable FX processors (plus a global dual FX processor). With all that you can build up patches with a lot of motion. Dark? Just roll off the filters...Radias has 2 which can be run in series or parallel.

Only problem is price...new about $1000, but used ones are in your budget.

Korg MS2000 is Radias' predecessor but only two layers, single filter, four mod matrix slots, two EGs, less FX processing. Used about $400 with keyboard, less for module.

Korg R3 is a Radias stripped down to two layers, single mod sequencer but you get all the other features including the FX processing.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

sequence

Post by sequence » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:42 pm

FiZmO! :salute:

(or the Blofeld, which isnt quite out yet.)
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:57 pm

The VIRUS can produce those haunting pads.. Sometimes the results can sound very disturbing.

Kudos for ATmosphere too.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:14 am

Another vote for a Virus, the keyboards are really nice feeling and they are great at spooky dark sounds. My bandmate has one and I'm always blown away by how dark and evil it sounds.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:38 am

The Kurzweil K2000-series synths are pretty good and aren't very expensive at all. The last band I was in was sort of post-punk in the vein of Chameleons UK and "Disintegration"-era Cure and I used my K2VXs for almost everything aside from analog emulation when recording and playing out.

The Kawai K5000s is another instrument which is superb for ambient textures. I used it, too, for a time with that band.

Entropy Farmer mentioned the JD-990--I've got one and it's certainly capable of pulling that stuff off, but it is a rack synth. If need a keyboard, you could go for the JD-800.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:01 am

Any of the wavestations, prophet VS

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:23 am

I'll second the vote on the JD800. It can be dark and moody, and then it can be cutting and biting when you want it to. And prices on them have been coming down, it appears.

pour_furets

Post by pour_furets » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:34 am

+1 on the Virus. Definitely dark and well suited for ambient.

+1 on the Kurzweil K2x00. Very flexible and surprisingly warm sounding.

I'd also nominate the SY/TG77. I was always able to get some very dark, strange, and ambient patches out it.
Trust me, ma'am. I'm a cryptozoologist.

www.soundclick.com/pourfurets

t260g

Post by t260g » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:00 am

does anyone have a xv3080/5080? you can get those around $500... im interested in those
how do you go about creating a patch with a sound module?