Intorducing myself and have a question Synth/Sampler

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Dlroto

Intorducing myself and have a question Synth/Sampler

Post by Dlroto » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:00 pm

Hello there, I'm new here and I wanted to say hello to all and to say that I love this site. I do have some questions?
I'm looking for a new synth to play with, I have three in mind, the microkorg the r3 and the micro x. I'm leaning towards the r3, I just need to know what everyone thinks of these three so that you can help me decide what I want to get. I have a yamaha v50 that I got new when I was 13 and this will be my newest synth since then, I'm not the greatest player at all, I just like to play around on these cool machines.
The other question is I'm looking to get a sampler and I know nothing about them, all I know is that they are cool to play with. I need to know if there are any out there that are good and very simple to use, but that doesn't skimp out on features.
Thank you all for any suggestions that you may have.

Mpresev

Post by Mpresev » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:52 pm

I used to own an EMU ESI32.. THe good news is you can buy one 2nd hand for 75.00 dollars .. WHy did I sell it? because I realized that the samplers in the computer have no limits like ABleton Live.. Get an ESI32 . The information is in this site. IT's 16 part multi /32 poly. Good Filters on this one and very straight forward easy editing.. The other one if you don't like the EMU products is the Akai series(S2000) for the same price.

Have you used your computer to sample?

If I were to pick the synth your aftering I would pick the R3.. Because I've played with it at the store and jeebus it sounds really good. Really really good. I don't understand the Micro X yet.

What kind of chewnnsss ?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:19 pm

There's another R3/MicroKorg thread you should read: http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=33311

The MicroX is a Triton minus the sequencer and sampler stuffed into a tiny box. The keyboard is too short for some people to play (but you could play it from your V50 via MIDI). A good choice if you want realistic pianos, drums and such or plan to do computer sequencing with it. Much less knob tweaking possible compared to R3/MK.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:46 am

Diroto, I know the Guitar Center here (middle of nowhere) has all of them. Have you tried any of them out?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:01 am

off topic, but:
is that alien avatar in the "avatar-box" because I've seen like 4 different users with the same one :?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:16 am

I'll second the ESI-32 suggestion. The filters are just gorgeous.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

Dlroto

Post by Dlroto » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:33 am

Hello everyone and thanx for responding so quickly. Yes that is an alien avatar. I looked up some of the info on the Emu and the akai, they look difficult to use and I can't find any of them cheap. How is the sos the 404 the akai mpc 500, are they any good? I want something inexpensive but very user friendly.
I have not used my synth with my computer, I don't know how to do that. I have fruity loops , how do I connect them to play together or sample togehter, eny help would be great.
YAMAHA V50

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Intorducing myself and have a question Synth/Sampler

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:09 pm

Dlroto wrote: The other question is I'm looking to get a sampler and I know nothing about them, all I know is that they are cool to play with. I need to know if there are any out there that are good and very simple to use, but that doesn't skimp out on features.
A sampler's ease of use is usually inversely proportional to how much it can do. The racks are usually not easy to use for beginners because they are crammed with features trapped in a small interface. A rack sampler is a computer system itself, and i wouldn't wish them on anyone outside of the studio.
The cheap simple ones like SP-202, ES-1 etc are very limited but can be much more fun for the beginner. They are toy-ish but they are still somewhat capable and are used by more big names than most would suspect.
Just get something simple, cheap and good and go from there.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies