How much of your collection works 100%?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Matrix1000 - 1 bad CEM3396 chip, old caps & p/s. Still sounds beautiful, though.
Moog LP - Osc 1 goes 'ping!' when it hits middle C @ 16' setting. More of a quirk than anything - it's easily programmed around and not worth shipping the synth out for.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

theotherleadingbrand
Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Post by theotherleadingbrand » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:25 pm

As karmic retribution for starting this thread, my Juno-106 decided to act up last night. Now middle C requires extra pressure to trigger. Probably a simple fix, but it will have to wait until I get motivated. That could be a while!
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:01 pm

hm.. one missing button on my CR68, does that count? :p

having mostly new gear is a blessing when you live faaar away from any techs :)

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:04 pm

About 6% ( 3 ) has issues, MKS20 w/ scratchy/amp issues. Kurz 2500RS in the shop due to my botched KDFX install and a Fizmo that is currently getting the regulator mod done to it. Ironically all digital. The Analogue stuff is 100% working :wink:
A few pieces of gear need special operator attention : for example nothing can sit on top of the Chroma or it will misbehave.

Trondc makes a point, do missing slider caps etc. count? If so add a DX7IIFD thats missing a slider cap. Anyone want to sell me one?
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

alpha5000dk
Gear: Clavia|NordRack2X
Korg|TritonLe
MFB|FilterBox
Waldorf| Rocket
National|SX-3800a

Post by alpha5000dk » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:50 pm

The rhythm box in my Casio CT-405 sometimes drifts up and down in tempo, and I can only access half of the instrument sounds.

The repeat function on my MiniKorg 700s isn't working and I have a very hard time tuning it, which annoys me a lot! Just realised some sliders are scratchy...

Both synths needs of course to be fixed, but money is very little, so it'll have to wait...

Everything else works fine :D
Last edited by alpha5000dk on Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:01 am

My current gear works 100%, but then it's all digital and new, other than the TX802, which is digital and 20 years old but looks new. ;)

My D-50 had one key that played at 100% velocity when struck, and the buttons were a bit difficult at times. Also, one output was weaker than the other, so I used the headphone jack instead. My Polysix needed contacts cleaned a few times, and a tune up/battery replacement one time.
Last edited by Synthaholic on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:50 am

Bought my Juno-60 with a dead LFO button, but I'm not missing it much. Recently, some of the keys trigger twice (I'll have to clean the contacts) and the filter LFO goes back down again in intensity when it's at the top. That one will probably be tougher to fix. This will wait however since the first thing I'm going to build in as soon as I can spare some cash will be a D-Tronics MIDI interface.

JX8P has no functional aftertouch, but I'm not surprised about that.

Digitech DSP-16+ (antique rack multieffects unit) has a dizzy dial; since I only use a single preset it takes a minute or two of wiggling up and down, and then I'm there. I could probably shorten that with a dedicated patch select pedal.

JP8080 has a slightly dodgy volume knob but since it's kept in the right position it's not a problem and I'm going to sell it soon anyway.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:13 pm

As far as I know, only my Voyager and QS6 work as well as they're supposed to. (the 05r w sounds great, but the right channel doesn't work; the JX-10 may befully functional, but I can't tell.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 pm

urgetoplay wrote:About 6% ( 3 )
You have 50 synths :?: :o :shock:
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:24 am

Right now all my electronic instruments, effects and recording gear work 100% but I have a bass guitar of my girlfriend's that needs to be fixed.

I recently had to repair my MRT-3b, the outputs were cutting in and out and i t was driving me insane trying to make it put out sound during sessions. I took it to the guitar store, and they couldnt figure out what was wrong, and then it took me all of 15 mins to find the problem and fix it.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:47 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Moog LP - Osc 1 goes 'ping!' when it hits middle C @ 16' setting. More of a quirk than anything - it's easily programmed around and not worth shipping the synth out for.
Mine used to do something like that on the D below mid C at 4'. Apparently it's a calibration data glitch, and generally sorts itself out after a few tunings. Mine no longer does it so don't despair.

A couple of sliders on my Junos are getting crappy, but still work. And my Linn Drum doesn't glitches if left off for more than a few days. Battery problem, apparently. Other than a dull backlight on the old Akai, and an occasional long warm-up time for the Mirage, that's it. Nothing major (crosses fingers and taps nearest bit of wood). I solved my CS-15's dodgy external input switch by bypassing it temporarily until I can be arsed to go back in there and replace it, but it's such a pain to work on I probably won't bother.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:06 pm

I tend to buy gear that is in the 90%-95% working condition range. It usually doesn't take much to get them to 100% if you're not afraid of a bit of soldering or keyboard removal and/or cleaning. The added benefit of course is that I can usually pick these synths up for a song. (since they're "broken"). I actually got my VFX-SD for free. When I got it home, it was missing a $1 fuse from radio shack.

I also picked up a Prophet600 for half price because (a) the presets were missing from ram and (b) the wood was minorly scuffed. $30 and an order with synthwoods made it look like a new synth. 2 minutes of transfering sysex data from my Mac to the P600 restored it's presets to factory condition. Granted I like to tinker, but only a very little bit.

Synthazaiser
Gear: B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606

Post by Synthazaiser » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:58 am

Something in my CP-30 got fried in an electrical storm and now it doesn't work, so it's in the shop to be fixed. Unfortunately, the guy fixing it is deadly slow when it comes to repairs.
Currently have: Baby Grand Piano, B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606
Used to have: POLY-800, TR-505, Techstar TS-306, DX7, ESI-32, Juno-106, DX27, Synthcart, JX-3P, ESQ-M, Mono/Poly, MS2000BR, VX90

theplateauxofmirror
Gear: esq1, ion, dx7s, alpha juno 1, k-station

Post by theplateauxofmirror » Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:33 pm

my collection, while small, is in good shape. i've got a busted key on my k-station and i lost a slider, but electronically it's fine. my piano forte has really noisy outputs, which i could probably clean up, but i never use it so i haven't gotten around to it.
ion - dx7s - alpha juno 1 - k-station - piano forte (buy it)

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:09 pm

I'm led to believe not all CEM3320's are created equally. My Pro~One sounds different, somewhat thinner than others I've heard.
Last edited by Solderman on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.