Vintage synth dot org UPdate

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HrBak

Post by HrBak » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:49 pm

Bitexion wrote:Man, people are never happy. We have had zero updates here for 2 years, and when they finally do come, people start picking apart the short reviews and complains.
I don't read Jexus post as an complaint.

He ask "what does genuine moog mean for you and your life?"

A discussion about Moog
Letters and Leaves of Grass

Check The winter leaves at:
******* www.myspace.com/vickystudio *******

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:17 pm

Mega-mega-thanks to the site maintainer(s?)!

VSE is a great resource when learning about synths, especially when you want to buy one. Those who say "play it in a store first" don't realize that there may not be such a store within a thousand miles. Most of us aren't rich enough to hop on a plane simply to demo a synth, so we have to use other resources.

Great stuff.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:24 pm

HrBak wrote:
Bitexion wrote:Man, people are never happy. We have had zero updates here for 2 years, and when they finally do come, people start picking apart the short reviews and complains.
I don't read Jexus post as an complaint.

Bravo, sir.
You are the sensible one, not apt to misinterpret.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:13 pm

When I got my hands on a Moog Rogue for an hour or two, I got that sound. The Moog sound. And it is very nice.

Therefore, if Moog make an analogue synthesiser and it makes the Moog sound, it's a geniune Moog.

If you've never played a Moog synth, it's difficult to understand what exactly this sound is. But it is real.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:23 pm

Synthaholic wrote:and it says Moog on the front panel... need I say more? ;)
Funny thing is mine doesn't. Bloody Welsh Minimoog guy!

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:44 pm

The following is not intended to be whining: :)

Maybe another reason to ask about what makes it a genuine Moog is if all you have to go on is playing the LP and hearing only one or two records that credit a Moog instrument. Would you hear the correlation?

I played a Voyager and LP before deciding, and just liked the Voyager's sound better. Never considered if it sounded like Rick Wakeman or Bernie Worrell solos.

That said, there are certain things about it that stand out. The filter's character of course, but also the way the portamento behaves, the "Tri-Saw" wave, and it's similarities to the Mini's architecture like using Osc3 as a control source. I understand they are typically built for performance, but so is my JP8, so it should be more than just that.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

mirt

Post by mirt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:40 am

imo everywhere is moog, everyone want to have or emulate moog sound, bob moog become someone like morrison or cobain.
Maybe LP is realy good synth but i'm little sick of prayers to the holy moog.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:50 pm

hm, I played both the voyager and the phatty, and my first thought was "this sounds pretty much like any other synth I've played.." Does that mean i lack the ability to hear what's good and what's not good? maybe I didn't spend enough time with either synth...

anyway, I love to see that there are a bunch of new reviews on VSE, but I was really hoping they'd include the ESX and EMX...

now please flame me for bashing moog synths ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:54 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote: If you've never played a Moog synth, it's difficult to understand what exactly this sound is. But it is real.
I agree- you have to play one to understand. But I'll try to explain it in words:
It's PERSONALITY. Bob Moog was a person, a gifted designer and he had a superb dialogue with the musicians he worked with. He knew how to make a synth musical. That's why people like Moog's so much, if it's a Bob Moog design, it's made primarily for musicians to play- issues such as cost, cosmetics and manufacturing challenges are secondary. There's real personality in the Bob Moog synths, and he passed that on to his employees also, which is why the Prodigy is so good, and the Little Phatty. All the great synths have personality- VCS3, Prophet 5, Elka Synthex etc. I'm excluding the Memorymoog and Polymoog, because Bob had little or no involvement in those, they were commitee designs.

OK, so you might not like the Moog sound. But his synths are always very musical, even down to the size of the knobs. It's very easy to get the sweet spots on a MiniMoog or a Voyager, for example.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 pm

mirt wrote:imo everywhere is moog, everyone want to have or emulate moog sound, bob moog become someone like morrison or cobain.
Maybe LP is realy good synth but i'm little sick of prayers to the holy moog.
I agree with this too - Moogs do have their own sound, but it's not the be all and end all as I said.

Everybody has a certain synth character that appeals to them the most, which is why we all have drastically differing preferences. So far for me it's been those SSM filters.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 pm

The KORG Electribes -- EA-1mk2 and ER-1mk2 -- should be added to the list now that both models have been discontinued and are no longer available from online music retailers. That status absolutely qualifies an electronic instrument as "vintage" synth gear.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100