Vintage synth dot org UPdate

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jexus

Vintage synth dot org UPdate

Post by Jexus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:04 pm

ok I just noticed that there have been some updates and recent additions

it's cool to see some changes and have the resource complete [any thoughts?:roll: ]

but this part of litle phatty review blew me away;

"OK so they aren't that cheap. And they aren't very feature-rich compared with some of its competitors. But it is a genuine Moog."

What does "genuine Moog" mean for you and your life, my friends ?

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:35 pm

1. it's a moog.

2. it's not a non-moog pretending to be a moog: (see for example the many synths claiming to have a 'moog-type ladder filter')

3. so, it's a 'genuine moog'

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:42 pm

It looks pretty :). Much prettier than the others, IMHO.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:46 pm

It means it has The Moogness. And we all need a bit of moogness in our lives. So it means alot.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:01 pm

Bitexion wrote:It means it has The Moogness. And we all need a bit of moogness in our lives. So it means alot.
can moogness mean coolness ?

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:03 pm

Earlier this autumn had a chance to try out Little Phatty in a shop and it totally blew out all the other synths -- there were some Oasises and some other stuff -- I tried. It simply had more moog to it. :D

clueless

Post by clueless » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:07 pm

I think to say it's a genuine Moog implies that there has been no compromises in it's classic sound character and it does "what it says on the tin"... for the budgeted price.

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:32 pm

clueless wrote:I think to say it's a genuine Moog implies that there has been no compromises in it's classic sound character and it does "what it says on the tin"... for the budgeted price.

allright

at first glance I thought whoa, this moog's price/possibilities ratio looks bleak compared to other synths, but it has label on it that reads 'MOOG' so it's enough and allright even to have the label alone for that money

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:41 pm

Man, people are never happy. We have had zero updates here for 2 years, and when they finally do come, people start picking apart the short reviews and complains.

I can't imagine anyone would use the minireviews on VSE as the sole guide for buying synths. You'd do research elsewhere aswell, longer reviews too. Not to mention play it in a store first.

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:47 pm

Bitexion wrote:I can't imagine anyone would use the minireviews on VSE as the sole guide for buying synths.
Ah, so there's where I went wrong. :P Actually the reviews here on VSE aren't that bad and seem to have the same ratings as many other sites out on the web. But this is actually the first place I come to as far as finding info on a synth I've come across, afterwards I go to Harmony-Central etc... or post a thread and bug the people here. :P
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:50 pm

In any way, tell someone that has no idea what a synth is that you have a Moog, and they'll just shrug anyways. I.E 90% of the people buying the music.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:52 pm

I guess because it sounds like a Moog, looks like a Moog and feels like a Moog? When you play one you will understand.

That doesn't mean it's the be and end all of course - it's just got that unique characteristic sound associated with the name.

alan partridge

Post by alan partridge » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:24 pm

if people can get that moany, you can sort of understand why VSE didn't bother updating for ages. cheers for the new stuff!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:39 pm

I'm really thankful for the new updates. There are a lot of synths they listed that I wanted to know more about. And I didn't know that Yamaha essentially just repackaged and put the CS6x in a new shell to make the S30. The synths they added were definitely essential to the site.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:42 pm

It's because the LP *IS* a Moog. A real, genuine, bona fide Moog. Designed by Bob Moog himself.

If it looks like a Moog and sounds like a Moog, and it says Moog on the front panel... need I say more? ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda