Strange controller

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gurutzeta

Strange controller

Post by gurutzeta » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:52 pm

What is this Bass guitar shapped controller in Orbital Decay's studio... Any ideas???:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Maybe an actual bass guitar? The pic is so small I can't make out of it's strings or not on the neck.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:08 pm

it's the moog guitar/keytar controller..
I think it's OD's Moog Corner :)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

matrix

Post by matrix » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:53 pm

here you go:
http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2007/01 ... decay.html

be sure to check out the link to the other post as well.

modulator_esp
Gear: some synths, samplers, effects, sequencers and loopers :-)
Band: Modulator ESP

Post by modulator_esp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:23 am

according to their website it is a 'custom ribbon controller with a MiniMoog interface'

mostly enjoying adventures in sound :)

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:09 am

That's my custom Moog 1150 controller. Purchased the 1150 back in 1979, when you could just walk into a music store and order one. Got that one from Benny Cintioli's in Philly, used for $140.00. I started building the body earlier out of red mahogany and the 1150 fit perfectly. Playing it just the other day controling a Korg PS-3100.
Here is a better pic:

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:29 am

Is it just a ribbon controller to control pitch with? Or can you apply it to other things like filter cutoff too? What do the knobs do? It's not like they can magically control the CV's/knobs on the synth?

sheepmusic

Post by sheepmusic » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 am

that is such a beautiful controller, i've been staring at your avatar for ages trying to get a better look!
i'd love to see the wiring inside, how did you wire the pots up? and the power and CV cable? where do they go?
its a brilliant piece of art!
Roland FP-5 - Korg Poly-800 (reverse keys) - Korg Mono/Poly, M-Audio Ozone
Zoom RFX-1000

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:32 am

Here are a few close up pics of the controls.
On the sicle shaped panel there is controls for filter cut off, decay amount, modulation and volume. The filter and volume are just variable CV outputs and could be routed to any CV device. The decay and modulation were specificly designed to interface with inputs on a custom Minimoog. Below are switches to select normal CV from the ribbon or a quantized output, a selector for the trigger 2 source of ground or the ribbon via a momentary button (green), and a switch to select the mod amount from either the mod pot or a momentary button (black) with intensity set by the mod pot. Below that are two routing switches for the aux. ribbon to be added to either the pitch or filter CV. There is a 15 pin jack that connects it to an interface break out box. And last there is a power switch.
The panel below the main ribbon has switches for inverting the ribbon so that high notes are at body and low at the top. The stock configuration would be backward since the ribbon is held like a guitar. Next is the range switch low is about 3 octaves and high about 8. The decay switch would turn the final decay on/off as on the Minimoog LH controller. And two switches for selecting two seperate S-triggers so two Moogs could be selected. ( I had the custom Mini and a Source for the second trigger). There is a small aux. ribbon and the two momentary buttons to either add modulation or trigger the second S-trig set by switches on the other panel. There are two color LED indicators at four of the switches red/green.
A 15 pin cable connects the controller to an interface box that gets is's power from the 6 pin accy. power jack on the Mini or Modular. All of the conections are made from here and can be routed to varioud modules. Normally I would connect to the Mini VCA,VCF,VCO, with a special size jack/plug for the decay, and a modified switching jack to the Mini pitch wheel input for the aux ribbon. The Mod input was through one of the unused pind on the Mini 6 pin power jack.

This was all hand made before MIDI around 1979/80. I guess you would do it quite differently now.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:43 am

So it's totally one of a kind? Very neat. How did the original ribbon controller work? Was it meant to be integrated with the moog modular really?

I've seen your racked minimoog. Have you actually used it to play live with? I don't really see how you could play solos with a pitch ribbon unless it is segmented into notes like the Haken Continuum?

The continuum is like a keyboard only it's a like a pitch ribbon so you can slide between notes. It works on 3D so you can push down the ribbon for modulation, and also another modulation in the vertical direction. Or you can just play notes with your fingers like a keyboard.

gurutzeta

Post by gurutzeta » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:59 am

Bitexion wrote:I've seen your racked minimoog. Have you actually used it to play live with? I don't really see how you could play solos with a pitch ribbon unless it is segmented into notes like the Haken Continuum?
Not necessary, I guess it depends on how you play. I guess the ribbon controller can be played kind of like how you would play a theremin

insky

Post by insky » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:19 am

gurutzeta wrote:
Bitexion wrote:I've seen your racked minimoog. Have you actually used it to play live with? I don't really see how you could play solos with a pitch ribbon unless it is segmented into notes like the Haken Continuum?
Not necessary, I guess it depends on how you play. I guess the ribbon controller can be played kind of like how you would play a theremin
I'm assuming he plays it holding it like a guitar. It takes practice to get the pitches. How do you think upright bass players are able to play live?
Stuff I own:
X Station
ESQ-1
JX-8P
Poly 800
MaxiKorg 800DV
Elka Rhapsody 610