Simmons SDS-V

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MicroFi

Simmons SDS-V

Post by MicroFi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:31 am

I'm picking up a Simmons SDS-V next weekend.
There's not much info to find about it on the internet, so maybe some of you might be able to help me out.
I'm planning to use it in acid/electro, so I don't want to get good "acoustic sounds" out of it.

How does it compare to the SDS-7?
What might be a good price for an SDS-V with the standard 5 cards?

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:56 pm

its got a tighter, simpler, more analog sound than the sds7. i love both.
we may have another for sale sometime soon. prices vary as does quality.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

MicroFi

Post by MicroFi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm really frustrated about the fact there are almost no audiodemo's of the SDS-V. I'm buying the unit blindly, as I've never even heard one.
I did hear the SDS-7 before and I liked the sound, so I was hoping the SDS-V's sound would come near.

I'm paying 200 euro for mine.
I don't know if that's a good price or not.

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:55 am

Hahaha......

no audiodemos of Simmons SDS-V´s ? How about listening to all the artists that used the SDS-V in their recordings ?

200 is a great price !

You will not be disappointed.

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

Jays

Post by Jays » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 am

There is in fact one official factory audio demo of the SDS-V and it's on the AudioPlayground Synthesizer Museum:

http://www.keyboardmuseum.com/soundsheet/sdsvdemo1.html

MicroFi

Post by MicroFi » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:55 pm

As I already said, I'll be using the SDS-V in a non-traditional way, so the factory audio demo isn't that interesting to me. I've already had some days to play with the SDS-V and I'm falling in love with it. It's limited, but I really like the sounds I'm getting out of that little machine.

For the moment being I'm triggering it with the audio-outs of my tr-707, but there must be a better way of doing this. How do other people trigger the SDS-V (or other SDS's)? Are there any affordable trigger-to-midi converters?

gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Post by gunark » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:46 am

I know this is an old post but forgive me for some first hand experience with my 1st (!) drum kit. I had an SDSV with white pads and well, the brain is great, the pads are deadly. Made from wood and riot shield plastic, snap a stick on that and it's coming back quickly! My mum would ban me from playing it, even with headphones on, as the clattering of the sticks on the pads could be heard through walls and floors. However, the SDSV brain was, looking back on it, pretty tough and analogue and you could get some hellish bass out of it. A pretty good demo of the sound is on the Genesis track "Second Home By The Sea" - the drum pattern is all Simmons.