Do old synths sound more futuristic than new ones?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Do old synths sound more futuristic than new ones?

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Reason: the recent Blade Runner album (containing the '94 release, some of the unreleased stuff, and BR25). The unreleased stuff sounds all great, but -if you ask me- the brand new BR25 album is just 'not it'. It so wouldn't have fit the original movie. And then I ask myself.. how can a handful o' equipment (CS80, Rhodes, CP80, VP330) from the past sound so much more "futuristic" than today's sounds? Those old beasts were never designed to sound futuristic, it was just what was possible back then.

If ever a sequel would've been made for Blade Runner, and Vangelis would be asked to provide a soundtrack again, should he use the same equipment from 1982 again? Would today's equipment and sounds ruin the futuristic dark world of Blade Runner?
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:30 pm

option 1) Yes, time is running backwards.

option 2) No, you just have a skewed opinion on what sounds futuristic. If he had have used a Triton that had travelled back in time from 2007 it would have sounded more like the actual future than the CS-80.

you choose.

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:34 pm

If ever a sequel would've been made for Blade Runner, and Vangelis would be asked to provide a soundtrack again, should he use the same equipment from 1982 again?
"Should"? I think the composer has the final say in that unless it's some kind of exercise.
Would today's equipment and sounds ruin the futuristic dark world of Blade Runner?
Counterquestion: Did Wendy Carlos' reinterpretation of Bach ruin Bach?

In the 80's it sounded futuristic because nothing else sounded like it. Now, people are sort of used to the sound of synthesizers; at least most know it's not coming out of an acoustic instrument.

If you've seen the way Vangelis scores you know he's much more interested in considering his studio as an orchestra with him as the conductor. For a conductor, expression is important. For us, a CS80 is cool because it's a huge vintage machine.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Martin P268
No Longer Registered

Post by Martin P268 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:37 pm

Certainly, the synths of the past sound more futuristic, or rather taken out from the reality, than modern equipment. It is because modern instruments can be heard everywhere, played by everyone - how futuristic is that?. On the other hand, these old electronic keyboards were accessible only to a few back in the 1980s.

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:46 pm

... And the technology was relatively limited, making it impossible, or at least difficult to reproduce the tonalities of acoustic instruments.

Altitude
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Altitude » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:59 pm

I think it helps if your Vangelis

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 pm

the PPG sounds modern to me. and if the more than 10 years old microwave considered old..it sounds way modern than many current synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:50 pm

Altitude wrote:I think it helps if your Vangelis
If your Vangelis what?

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 pm

IMHO I think it's the programming.

I think the progamming that people were doing back then is what they thought the future sounded like. But that doesn't mean the synth just sounds more futuristic, people were doing plenty of non futuristic sounding things with the same synths back then.

Futuristic to me, from that era, is alot of high pass leads, sweeps, very bright in timbre. Almost every sci fi show from the late 70's and 80's is an example of that.

Bladerunner though, I would consider a synthesizer soundtrack over futuristic, only because it's not as campy and caught in time as say buck rogers.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:10 pm

i think he meant you're

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:43 pm

If "futuristic music" is defined to be music which sounds to us like it is representative of what we will hear in the future, I don't think any music made in previous decades is futuristic at all.
1. It was made with technology which now sounds positively quaint to most
2. It is not consistent with where music seems to be going at the moment, which is how we ALWAYS project what will happen in the future.

Every movie of the past projected what the future would look/sound like based upon the culture of that particular time. If we project music into the future based upon our current culture of music, etc., it isn't likely to sound anything like Vangelis' great music or that delicious CS-80, in my opinion! (sadly!)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:50 pm

What the heck is futuristic anyway? When I was a kid we were told we'd all have nuclear reactors in our homes, personal helicopters and jet packs so we wouldn't need cars anymore, vacations on the moon and robotic servants. They forgot to predict water and air pollution, global warming, terrorism, WoW and karaoke.

Modern synths can make all the sounds of the synths of the past so all that's changed is tastes in sound design.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

WDW

Post by WDW » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:18 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Altitude wrote:I think it helps if your Vangelis
If your Vangelis what?
synapsecollapse wrote:i think he meant you're
But, if he had said, "Ure," then we would be talking about the score to Max Headroom...which is merely twenty minutes into the future.

WD

P.S. Sadly, I bet that 90% of VSE was born well after Max Headroom debuted; thus, this humour will be lost. <<sigh>>

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:30 pm

Oval's "Diskont94" was the last time I heard the future.

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:34 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Modern synths can make all the sounds of the synths of the past so all that's changed is tastes in sound design.
ALL the sounds?? Instead of nitpicking .. I'll keep it really simple. Why can't a Nord lead sound like my Jen? (it's NOT a tune issue btw)