Comments about the juno106

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Spaceheater184

Comments about the juno106

Post by Spaceheater184 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:56 am

I just got one last night with all 6 voice chips professionally replaced. It's a really nice unit and I love the sound. I'm looking for everyone's opinions on this board. I was thinking of maybe going to a jx-3p instead, yes? no?...Also...can anyone explain to me why when I put the board into unison mode, the tones seem to drift strangely? I'll be playing an octave bassline, bouncing back and forth the same notes in different octaves and all of a sudden it sounds like the tone changes strangely, like a hpf was added to it, then it'll cut back in normal. I've done the voice test on it by holding the transpose key down and starting it up. I've left it on for several hours and tested it each hour and all 6 voices definitely work just fine. Is this just the nature of the beast? I heard from a friend the 106's unison mode always is kinda finicky. It doesn't do this when it's in poly1 or poly2 mode ever.
Gear: Korg EMX, Yamaha CS1x.

memo

Post by memo » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:23 am

What you're hearing is a result of DCO phase cancellation. With VCO synthesizers the phase is constantly shifting, providing an animated sound.

But DCO synths without unison detune don't have that nice animated sound. The phase shift can lock into strange intervals for longer periods of time, either adding up to a big block of bass, or shifting out so all you hear is the high end.

That's why people don't use the unison on the 106.

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:43 pm

I agree, the unison is pretty useless. I couldn't find a much use for it. It piles 6 voices on top of eachother, but they're perfectly in tune so it just gets louder and woody. Not even bass sounds good with that unison.

On VCO synths, unison sounds fat and awesome because the oscillators drift a tiny bit. That doesn't happen on the 106.
But sometimes I find it nice to use Unison on short bass sounds with noise added in the mix. Then it sounds HEAVY. It can also be used to thicken up bass or snare drum sounds (when pitch doesn't matter anyways).
Last edited by Bitexion on Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:04 pm

I've used the unison for distorted leads (running through an external fuzz box). But I agree, it doesn't have many good uses. The odd tonal changes have to do with the processing architecture inside the 106. When it's in unison mode, and you play a note, apparently there is some other processing task that randomly interrupts or doesn't interrupt the loading of the DCO's counters. For every note played, there is a different set of phase relationships between the six voices. Since all six of the DCOs derive from the same master clock, the phase relationships don't change until the next note is played and the DCOs are all loaded again.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:06 pm

I've owned several Roland polys (JX-3P, 106, Alpha Juno 1) and by far the 106 was the fav of that bunch. I was really surprised at how much I liked that synth. As everyone else in the world has already said, the 106 is such a team player. I could always find space for it in the mix and it had a way of being transparent. I nicknamed mine "The Glue Stick" because it could really find a way to hold a mix together, be it for purely electronic or guitar rock music. I miss it. I bought mine with a bad voice card and had it replaced. Then a 2nd chip went, and then when the 3rd went I gave up. The Alpha Junos really don't measure up for me. Maybe next year I'll get a 6 or 60.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Oh the Juno is completely lovely, the entire synth is one massive sweet spot. I've found it quite impossible to make BAD sounds on it. And I've done my share of programming :) But the unison mode is a waste without any way of detuning the voices.

Sure, on something like the Prophet-5, you don't need a unison detune function because the 5 voices are never EXACTLY the same pitch so it will sound wide, fat and awesome. Not the case here. Lovely synth otherwise, with an amazing range of sounds. I'm guessing the Unison mode was just something they threw in there as an afterthought because other synths have it.

My 106 never had either a battery failure nor any faulty voices. I guess I was lucky with my specimen. It now belongs to the great Norwegian band Monomen anyways. Ran out of space in my small apartment eventually.

WDW

Post by WDW » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:29 pm

Hey, Spaceheater. Congrats on your 106 acquisition.

You have three subjects in this post:
--request for comments on the 106
--request for advice on JX3P purchase
--request for help in diagnosing your 106's behaviour.
The first is on topic for GENERAL. The second for BUYER'S GUIDE. And the third for HELP.

As long as the third subject remains in the realm of discussing the 106's inherent behaviour, based upon its synthesis architecture, then it is appropriate for GENERAL. However, if it starts to stray into troubleshooting your particular 106, then please post your question in HELP.

With respect to the second subject, please post that question in BUYER'S GUIDE. And let's not discuss that in this section.

Thanks.

WD

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Comments about the juno106

Post by braincandy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am

Spaceheater184 wrote:I just got one last night with all 6 voice chips professionally replaced. It's a really nice unit and I love the sound. I'm looking for everyone's opinions on this board.
Spaceheater, I'm not trying to bust your chops, but if you like it, what difference would our comments make? If everyone said they hated it, would you then second-guess yourself or sell it, even though you like it? I'm really not being sarcastic here, I'm just wondering why people's opinions of something you already know you like are relevant?
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

JUGEL
No Longer Registered

Post by JUGEL » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:34 am

well ... because most people like something when they first get it (this can go for girlfriends as well... or guys?). I think he's wanting to know if there's something to look out for after his bedroom eyes wear out..

I personally find it a bit mushy sounding.. and prefer the Juno 60 for a live keyboard... but the 106 is great for overdubs.

I prefer my AX60 to both.. It's like a little dumbed down 1 OSC Jupiter 6.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:55 am

Spend some time getting to know the filter. It has a lot of little sweet spots, combinations of cutoff tracking and resonance, that will produce surprising tonalities. Very different from, say, a Moog filter.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:51 am

I own a juno 106 myself.mine needs some work on it it will work fine for about a half hour then it starts to crackel when i play notes.I think it is the filter chip but i am not sure.and it is missing a slider.

I like the analog sound of the juno and the chours effect it is amzaing.
its also cool how it has midi.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:58 am

The Juno 106 is indeed nice. It was my second synth and I owned it for a good 15 years (no voice chip issues either surprisingly). But once I bought the very cheap and underrated JX3P (and a PG200 shortly after) I sold the 106 to a friend. I like the JX3P more, especially it's very unique and cool sequencer.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:46 am

I love the locked DCO phase differences in unison mode. I can understand why some people don't like it, but I think I could use it in a creative way. It's a very unique sound belonging to the Juno-106.

I got mine this December from a guy who bought it brand new back in 1984 and hardly ever used it, but still took good care of it. It looks and plays as if I just bought it new from the store 8) (knock on wood.... don't die on me, precious little voicechips)
Monkey business since 2007!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:08 am

Beautiful sounding synth.

Its actually my favorite sounding synth that i've played so far, and it would be my favorite synth overall if it had two oscs.

You can't possibly go wrong with a juno.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:26 am

as i say in every 106 thread, its the least favorite of my synths, but i love the alpha Juno 2: dark pads + velocity sensitivity = win. biggest gripe is its limited sonic palette.